What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD Update...

Looks brilliant. The best pinball mod I've ever seen. Great work Dr. You deserve to do well out of this. Just wish I had a dmd game to try one myself!!

There is a little double sided sticky tape to hold the screen and PCB together. The case has a backing plate that is then secured, holding it all safely together.
It is a useful and flashy mod, I am sure it will do well as the quality is all there too.

Lookin good.
I'm one of those waiting for the kit to be made up.
Can't be ****d doing it myself plus I wouldn't have a clue, much eaiser to have a plug and play model.

Lookin good.
I'm one of those waiting for the kit to be made up.
Can't be ****d doing it myself plus I wouldn't have a clue, much eaiser to have a plug and play model.

I intend to release a full kit with everything needed to get a Personal DMD installed. I'll let you know when this is ready, within a week or so.

I just noticed the vid on youtube of the extender working with Sterns now. I wonder when we will get this glorious code update?

The new software will be out by the end of the week - I have a bit more testing to do...

All owners of the DMD Extender will get free updates. The only colour options available are your own choice of the 16 shades used on Stern SAM Machines. There is an auto generate option to help you out - maybe the selection of colours will help the visibility of the video sections on some of the games. I'll post an update when the code has been released.

I spent an enjoyable evening last night with @replicas , @JMP and @lukewells installing an LCD panel in a Stern Spiderman.

The screen was installed with relative ease and the colour scheme set to white - the results were very good, as you can (almost) see in this video...

It was a definite improvement over the original PinLED screen that has uneven dots due to its method of manufacture and the video sequences were certainly clearer.

I've just added an Application Note for the installation on my website...
Dr Pinball - Pinball Modification Technology - Application Note 3.

The install will look great in other Sterns e.g. set to blue in Tron, or green in Avengers etc. Total cost to install was £160.

Dr Pinball,

I think you are missing a trick with the mini-displays.

How many times have you been working on a machine with the playfield raised and you are testing lamps/coils/flashers etc, and you need to change the test mode you are in, but you can't see the DMD in the backbox, as it is obscured by the playfield?

How cool would it be to have a display that you can see in the coinbox area for when working on machines?

Would have thought you could just mount a mini in there without any issues, never thought about buying one for fault finding purposes.

Now I'm tempted

When I designed the miniscreen (Personal DMD) I wanted to make something that would fit all machines, sadly that's not possible due to the variety of apron designs, even from the same game manufacturer.
Also, the wholesale cost of the complete system is very high and hence the retail cost is high too - £170. I think this has put off a lot of people. I've tried to push the screens through the forums around the world, through my web site and Facebook, and at pinball shows in this country. I had 2 units for sale on eBay recently.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem enough interest in the product for me to continue selling it.
I have customers for a couple of units but I think that'll be it then.

On the flip side, the DMD Extender continues to prove very successful. The addition of a miniscreen to the Extender is easy enough to do. However, most people use the Extender to add an LCD to their games in place of the plasma - the price of a DIY system is about £150 which is very competitive compared to a plasma or ColorDMD in Sigma form. It's also the only option for the large Sega screens.

As an update, I've now got P-ROC sorted, and am working with a customer in the States to get Gottlieb supported...

That's a shame, as a troubleshooting tool it would come in handy but if it's expensive and you've not had the expected uptake them that's fair enough.

I do like the DMD extender and think it looks great in that Shadow.

That's a shame, as a troubleshooting tool it would come in handy but if it's expensive and you've not had the expected uptake them that's fair enough.

I do like the DMD extender and think it looks great in that Shadow.

Like I said, it's pretty easy to hook up your own mini screen - they're just reversing screens for cars bought from eBay. The only thing I did was design and build a metal screen surround and supply the necessary cables.

Must say the Dr pinball DMD extender and documentation are top quality. I think the results speak for themselves. First class work :)

Tried some different colour variations, but green worked well with the alternate translite and it suits the theme well.

Back
Top Bottom