What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD Extender Update - Volume 2

DrPinball

Registered
Hi

I thought I'd update you with how things have been going with the DMD Extender.

Data East / Sega - With the help of a fellow pinhead I now support DE / Sega games using 128 X 32 resolution displays. If anyone has a larger format screen and wants to help get these working then get in touch.

RgbDmd - Using the same hardware as the extender I can now demonstrate real time colouring of DMD frames. The following YouTube video shows the editor and extender software system in action. Let me know your thoughts! Be gentle though it's still early days...

Now that this system is looking to be working I intend to pursue building a replacement display system using an LCD screen. The RgbDmd software will be available for use by anyone so hopefully we'll start to see colour appearing on all machines.

Cheers

David.

That is very cool. Out of interest, any idea how many frames there are in your average 90's DMD game.....TAF for example?

You know what i love about this??

1. It's this side of the pond
2. It's basically a Pi with custom mods
3. It allows people an option to colour those games that arent really "mainstream" and are unlikely to be done by the likes of colordmd

Whilst i already am lucky enough to have 2 Colordmd's for the machines I have, I am more than happy to assist and do some other games to help others :)

Paul

You know what i love about this??

1. It's this side of the pond
2. It's basically a Pi with custom mods
3. It allows people an option to colour those games that arent really "mainstream" and are unlikely to be done by the likes of colordmd

Whilst i already am lucky enough to have 2 Colordmd's for the machines I have, I am more than happy to assist and do some other games to help others :)

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm hoping this could take off as a bit of a community thing - I'm happy to continue improving the software to support anybody colouring the frames. I'll keep updating as things progress.

Great work Dr. The possibilities with this work are growing and I think there is going to be a lot more interest with this colour option. After my wedding, I can get involved and can do Creech if you want it?

Thanks Paul. I'm hoping this could take off as a bit of a community thing - I'm happy to continue improving the software to support anybody colouring the frames. I'll keep updating as things progress.

Do you currently sell a kit or anything similar? Or maybe a list as to what's required hardware wise from you? I have a Pi anyway (in fact several!), so at last I may be able to put one to good use :D

Cheers
Paul

Do you currently sell a kit or anything similar? Or maybe a list as to what's required hardware wise from you? I have a Pi anyway (in fact several!), so at last I may be able to put one to good use :D

Cheers
Paul

I sell the DMD Extender kit for £55 including delivery which will allow you to use this system with an external screen. I am actively looking at creating an LCD solution to replace the existing DMD. The extender will form part of this setup so you won't waste your money if you want the full LCD system later as you'll be able to get hold of only the extras that you need.

At the moment the software supplied is for DMD emulation only - RgbDmd will be ready for use in a couple of weeks. Anyone purchasing now can get the colour software for free later.

Unfortunately I don't have Extender boards available, I sold the batch I had made. I'll let you know when more arrive.

Cheers.

Well a 15.6 widescreen monitor screen almost fits behind a DMD panel (Decased it fits).

Thats what a lot of guys are using in Virtual pins although Ironically they are all starting to install real DMDs now

You can also use miniature 4.3" lcd (composite) monitors with the dmd extender. You could then use them in the apron score card location for easy eye access to dmd info. Add to this the ability to create custom graphics around the output text AND the ability to now colour our own games and its simply the greatest mod ever created as far as i'm concerned.

I jumped on the chance to mess around with the dmd extender and hope to get some pics and vids up of mine working with No Fear soon. Exciting stuff for sure.

I sell the DMD Extender kit for £55 including delivery which will allow you to use this system with an external screen. I am actively looking at creating an LCD solution to replace the existing DMD. The extender will form part of this setup so you won't waste your money if you want the full LCD system later as you'll be able to get hold of only the extras that you need.

At the moment the software supplied is for DMD emulation only - RgbDmd will be ready for use in a couple of weeks. Anyone purchasing now can get the colour software for free later.

Unfortunately I don't have Extender boards available, I sold the batch I had made. I'll let you know when more arrive.

Cheers.

Please let me know when you have some more. I'd love to do a review for here (and elsewhere too) as well as use it to play on :)

Cheers
Paul

But that's huge must be specific one
I might be wrong but I think you are missing a key point, it takes the DMD output and processes it via a Raspberry Pi. Therefore any screen output the RP can do, either natively or via mod, you can now output your DMD to. Tv, monitor etc.
With the power to post process those images, you can do a lot of wonderful stuff. Replace the DMD, add a screen, add colour, extend it to another screen in the apron or for others to watch.
As Russ says, this is quite a significant mod. :)

You can also use miniature 4.3" lcd (composite) monitors with the dmd extender. You could then use them in the apron score card location for easy eye access to dmd info.

What a brilliant idea!!! :)

As Calimori says, it's only limited by the output from the Pi. However, it's worth noting that you can only output from HDMI or Composite, and not both at the same time.

I demonstrated a small screen in the apron called Personal DMD. This uses a bespoke interface (SPI) so isn't under the same restriction on the Pi i.e. it may be possible in the future to have a screen inside or outside of the pinball connected by HDMI / Composite and a second screen in the apron connected via SPI.

My focus at the moment is on RgbDmd software and getting an LCD panel into the machine in place of the existing DMD.

My god man. You are a seriously skilled bloke. Thankyou for this mod, all your help, and any future genius ideas you may come up with.

My god man. You are a seriously skilled bloke. Thankyou for this mod, all your help, and any future genius ideas you may come up with.

Cheers Russ :bounce:

I'll tell my family what you said - they think I'm just a nerd who's avoiding getting a proper job!!

The video driver circuits are usually built into the laptop motherboards so the screens aren't much use without a separate driver circuit.

Driver circuits and invertor boards are available but their costs are pretty prohibitive.

Power suppplies are easy enough obtained but even then your £32 has increase by £5 if your lucky.

An old 15 inch LCD can be got for sub £30 these days, rip the case off and you have a fully working screen that fits behind the dmd speaker board without having to adapt the cabinet.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BenQ-T52W...mputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item3380b5c360

Update:

Had a hoke about and it seems the driver and backlight invertor boards etc are not as expensive as they used to be but still work out dearer than a decased monitor but good if you have an old laptop lying about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Control...56867?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item19d29362e3

Plus the screen if required

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B..._email_1p_0_ti

The video driver circuits are usually built into the laptop motherboards so the screens aren't much use without a separate driver circuit.

Driver circuits and invertor boards are available but their costs are pretty prohibitive.

Power suppplies are easy enough obtained but even then your £32 has increase by £5 if your lucky.

An old 15 inch LCD can be got for sub £30 these days, rip the case off and you have a fully working screen that fits behind the dmd speaker board without having to adapt the cabinet.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BenQ-T52W...mputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item3380b5c360

Update:

Had a hoke about and it seems the driver and backlight invertor boards etc are not as expensive as they used to be but still work out dearer than a decased monitor but good if you have an old laptop lying about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Control...56867?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item19d29362e3

Plus the screen if required

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B..._email_1p_0_ti

It needs to be HDMI or Composite - the controller above is VGA only.

Back
Top Bottom