What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD Extender update and more...

DrPinball

Registered
Hi

Thought I'd give you guys an update on the DMD Extender project I've been working on. I've had a small batch of boards manufactured. I now need to populate with the components, make the power and data cables and come up with some instructions. This will take a couple of weeks more to complete then I may have some for people to try if you're interested - let me know.

Also, in parallel with this project I've also been working on another DMD inspired project - I call it Personal DMD. The idea is to allow pinheads to install a small screen in place of an apron game card. The screen will allow the following things to be displayed:

1. Custom artwork to match the game
2. A fully working DMD that copies the back box display
3. Further information based on other game events
4. Some other features that may or may not work...

This is still at an early stage but I've proved enough to see that the concept will work. However, I'd like to get a bit of feedback on whether people think it's worth pursuing. So please have a look at the YouTube video of an early prototype in action and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

David.

David
Very interested in this and after speaking to you at Northern Lights Pinball at Play Expo it looks like there are even more possibilities.
I would be interested in a one colour DMD like Green for Creech or Blue for Whitewater Tron etc.
And just thinking about the apron card holders that could be made into a score display or even more, it all sounds really great.
Looking forward to the next update.
D.

That does have a world of possibilities. If it can be easily fitted into the apron then this gives another place for a player to catch the information, especially if they focus on the flippers and not the backbox. Plus it can brighten up, an often unlit area.

Sounds like you have been busy on the original extender idea, I am pleased to hear you were going to make kits. As you know, I think the idea has so much potential. As Replicas say, colour coded would be one such use.

Sounds great, looking forward to more updates! Very interested in trying your board :)

I would be interested in trying this out for sure. I wanted to make an apron for my Tron using mini screens in the score card slots, and being able to have the dmd info on them would be the icing on the cake. Great work, and count me in!

Interesting idea:wave:

Just wondering though how it works when you're playing. Does it tend to catch your eye and distract you from the ball?

Really hope the idea takes off for you

John

Thanks for all the positive comments. I won't get much more done on the Mini DMD this year, but I've got the DMD Extender board completed and installed in my TAF...

I'll work on getting a few more completed and make them available. Cheers. David.

David,

looks well, I can see a few uses for it (competitions etc)

i assume it could be used instead of a dmd rather than an extender ? I have a load of 15" LCD monitors and a few dodgy dmds. If its cheap enough it could be an alternative to buying new dmds. Can the dmd be moved about the screen or is it fixed ? If used as a replacement dmd you would probably want the dmd at or near the top of the screen for ease of fitting LCD.

keep at it the apron dmd looks well also.

Cheers
ian

Ian

Yep, it doesn't need to have a DMD to allow it to work. The software is still in prototype form but I am aiming to allow the user to select the vertical position of the DMD section. This allows you to design any background graphics and have the DMD fit wherever required, or in your case position the screen nicely in the window of the speaker panel.

I still need to work out the cost which I'll be doing over the next few days.

Cheers

David.

You will definitely need to supply your own pi and video cable. I intend to supply the following:

DMD Extender board complete with adhesive fixings
Ribbon cable from Extender to DMD
Power cable from power board to Extender
Power splice z connector
SD card with software
Installation instructions

Cheers

David.

A few people have asked about this. In theory if the Stern machines use the same cherry / babcock screens then it should work. The power cable I will supply is designed for Williams/Bally WPC/WPC95 games, so it may need to be powered by a phone charger instead (micro USB).

If I get access to a Stern machine I will try it out - if you live in the North West I'd be happy to pay a visit!!

I can see many used for the main extender, obviously for competitions it will be great but also for anyone who wants to customise their speaker panel or whole backbox. Or the poor souls with broken large DMD's. Or anyone with a little imagination who wants to change the output to a different colour. Or from a DMD into any other output type when they stop making DMD's. Or recording scores as a video format.

I am assuming that the main video display ribbon goes into your board instead of the DMD before the replacement cable going off to the DMD? So a difference between systems makers may be as simple as connectors or as difficult as interpreters?

Does the apron DMD use the extender board? How many times can you split the signal?

My Tron uses a Babcock display (its an import with the dmd and not the crappy led screen although 5v is readily available in the backbox). I live in the north east but i would of course be happy to let you try it out on my machine. Failing that you could send me a unit for testing and i would be happy to do that also. LMK.

My Tron uses a Babcock display (its an import with the dmd and not the crappy led screen although 5v is readily available in the backbox). I live in the north east but i would of course be happy to let you try it out on my machine. Failing that you could send me a unit for testing and i would be happy to do that also. LMK.

Looks like the DMD pinout is the same as Williams - you'd just need to find 5v and Ground. I'll be in touch.

Looks like the DMD pinout is the same as Williams - you'd just need to find 5v and Ground. I'll be in touch.

Excellent. I look forward to it! (got me thinking of a blue display solution for Tron that doesnt have those horrid grid lines)

Back
Top Bottom