What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dmd display advice

PUP

Site Supporter
Hi the small data connector on my addams display has become loose and needs to be solderd back in, problem is the solder side of the board is under the glass panel. What is the safest way of getting to the solder side of the board without destroying the expensive glass panel? The panel itself seems to be stuck to the board rather than solderd in as shown in pic. Thanks in adv, Andy

Pics attatched ths time

Attachments

• 1562752275184685892229671211857.jpg
    1562752275184685892229671211857.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 15627523068434518724894438446196.jpg
    15627523068434518724894438446196.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
How the hell did that happen? So it now waggles does it when moved or is it still stationary?

Iv no idea? Must hav done it as i took backbox off to put in storage not had it set up since daventry but set it up to test last night ready for loan at nerg this weekend and noticed then. Is it possible to remove that glass panel enough to get to re solder it without damage as that is still fine

I think it would be all or nothing re: delsoldering. If it was me i would snip the header off and attach wires (using heat tubing) to the stumps that were left on the dmd as long as they haven't come off from the board and then solder to the header socket.

Not looked at the pictures on my phone but I'd probably hot glue it in place to stop any movement. Obviously once it's glued if the connector is not working properly then you'd have to rectify that. After removing the glue, I'd be thinking solder paste and heat gun.

It looks like the socket is soldered to wires rather then to the board.

If the display still works and the connector is attached to wires I would tease it out a bit more and make sure all the wires still have good joints. Then I would use something abrasive to rough up the pcb and the 4 sides of the socket.

Push the wires back through, make sure the socket is seated and glue gun the 4 sides of the socket to the pcb.

DONT try and remove that glass panel. If it still works glue gun it in place. If it doesnt work - save yourself hours of fiddling and headaches and buy a colordmd (your game deserves it!) or grab a 2nd hand dmd.

Back
Top Bottom