What's new

Depth?

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Sure it's been covered to death but I've been playing Star Trek this week, finally giving it some proper time. And it's great! However, like never before I've found myself scratching my head trying to figure out the modes and best ways of scoring. I'm currently working my way through a big Pinside thread that has all these different approaches to playing the game, how to stack modes, all 3 levels of one specific mode followed by captains chair followed by ahhh! I wonder whether a pin should teach you through trial and error more easily, this is the first time I've ever had to do research to get the most out of my scoring! Pinball has come such a long way rules wise. So which do you prefer? A deeper rule set with a chance to strategise your approach or do you just like to whack a ball around and hear cool noises and see a good light show with nice simple scoring. Think for me it's probably a bit of both and is maybe dependent on mood. There's certainly room for both and indeed somewhere in between

What I like about Stern Star Trek is that it's pretty easy to understand the rules set, but yes you have choices for strategy on how you do the modes vs levels. To me it's similar to Medieval madness, as that also is pretty easy to understand (but more option to go for) Compare to LOTR - where there is so much depth. For me I get bored easily, so I can find myself moving from a very simple ruleset game such as my Paragon or Baby Doll (EM - simplest rules!) and then I'll rotate for more in-depth game of LOTR. Today I've played most of my machines. Love em all. All fully working at present, which is a first!

I like deep rules but they have to be achievable and easy enough to understand what is going on. I still have no idea with LOTR.

There are some great videos on You Tube called something like 'pinball with the pros' and Star trek features on one of them. I think its Zac Sharpe or Keith Elwin showing you what to do. From memory, start by going 3 deep on Nero, and use the away team a lot.

I like deep rules but they have to be achievable and easy enough to understand what is going on. I still have no idea with LOTR.

Here is some useful help I got from someone on LOTR:

"LOTR - you won't be disappointed
It has the rare quality of giving you a sense of achievement whatever standard of player you are.
Almost everyone is guaranteed at least one multiball, and playing the three movie multiballs and then destroying the ring is not easy but is within the grasp of most players - it's just hard enough that you feel a real sense of elation when you do it and you get rewarded by a suitably spectacular response from the machine.

However, once you have mastered that you will soon realise that there are many extra levels of depth to keep you hooked.
The next stage is to play for the modes (and to allow the movie multiballs to just come along by default)
Every completed mode gives you one of the very valuable gifts of the elves - and most are moderate to easy to complete - only witch king I find hard.
Playing all the modes qualifies a special mode "there and back again" which allows you to collect one by one all the points you earned in each of the modes.

Then, rather than just playing the movie multiballs you will want to complete them. Each completed one also earns a gift of the elves and some great call outs and rewards.

The final goal, and one which very few players ever achieve, is to reach the Valinor wizard mode - to get there you will have to have completed all the movie multiballs, played there and back again, collected all the gifts of the elves, and destroyed the ring. You may never get there (no-one has ever done it on my game although there have been some very near misses) but just the fact that it is there keeps the challenge alive!

I've counted at least 7 different multiballs on this game, and don't forget too the "help" from Gollum who, as well as adding a ball, will double or halve your scores depending on what mood he is in, meaning that timing the big payoff shots becomes very important."

not so much depth but more strategy. For instance I like to take prime directive in with vengeance and klingon with klingon multiball.
This is what Stern does really well, little nuances that make the difference. Depth like WOZ or Hobbit is unwarranted and just makes for confusion.

For me its more about layout, speed, flow and feel. Not too interested in strategy. Especially as I only get a few minutes spare to play pinball now and again.

I hated Star Trek - but after playing it at NLP on that lovely premium - its on my list!

Star Trek is cool man. Hitting that warp ramp with good timing over and over, the vengeance firing back at you, FLOW. Fun game. The Pro is ugly as hell though, needs a little modding, especially the translite...

Depth and scoring nuances for me. Multipliers and stackable multiball with modes.
Stern are the masters of it.

Back
Top Bottom