What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Flipper (Bounce) After A Rebuild

stoptap

Registered
Alias
Andy
I recently rebuilt the flippers on my Stern Star Trek and after a few games noticed that the right flipper was dead when it was being held up. By dead I mean that when the flipper was being held in the up position and a ball would hit it the ball would just die on the flipper. No bounce at all. I replaced the flipper bush (because it was the one thing I didn’t have at the time of the rebuild) but no joy. I decided to have a peep at the plunger so took off the brand new coil stop and found this.

70447A52-D789-49BF-9A38-AEC49091654F.jpeg

Rubbish standard of riveting on the coil stop. I put some high strength retainer on it and riveted it over again.
Flipper is now perfect.

Hope this may help someone in the future with a dead flipper.

check out the thread on pinside with the guy who's had a star trek on location with tens of thousands of plays on it - the game has held up really well! I think he suffered a similar failure.

Neil

There was a bad batch of coil stops. Virtually every ST was fitted with them. Just toss them and get new stern ones and the new ones are fine.

Are there any 'bad' stops on the market?

I bought some from Pinball Centre ages ago, only because i had an order with them and wanted to make the most of the extra postage costs with a bigger list, and compared to the Pinball Mania and PH stops I've had; the PC ones seem to be of poorer build quality.

Back
Top Bottom