What's new

Wanted DE STAR WARS

Monty

Registered
Looking for a tidy and working Data East Star Wars for reasonable money (not silly ebay prices).
Preferably from somewhere not too far from Swindon.
Happy memories of playing this as a teenager when it first came out, and want it as my first pinball table.

Well there's often a few about, but I think success in finding one depends what you mean by 'reasonable money'....

:confused:

Also someone trying to move one for 4K on ebay (buy it now) Others at 550 and will no doubt rise, but not sure of reserve

It says "Reserve Lowered".... However looking at the auction, there IS no reserve...

Yes been tracking both of those for a while now. The £4k one is from a guy in Weston-Super-Mare who has had it for sale on his own site for a while. For a fully shopped and upgraded example is that too much? The other is for sale elsewhere too and they seem to want around £3k or more.

By reasonable I'm thinking less than £2k or am I being unrealistic? Happy with a soldering iron etc so willing to do give something some TLC but not looking for a complete project piece.

Its the new hot title. Trying to get one for around £1800 since November and not happening

The £4k one is from a guy in Weston-Super-Mare who has had it for sale on his own site for a while. For a fully shopped and upgraded example is that too much?

The answer to that is yes of course it's too much, £4K for a DESW is ridiculous.

However if it does sell at that price then that answer would have to change..... o_O

Cheers Andy. Just within the distance I was prepared to travel to get one. Looks original, even has the yellowing legs on R2-D2.

Cheers Andy. Just within the distance I was prepared to travel to get one. Looks original, even has the yellowing legs on R2-D2.

Translite looks totally faded.

From quick look at the limited shonky photos I see broken dirty targets, 1 wrong pop bumper cap. Looks ok but my instinct says this will be a tired old workhorse that will need a good overhaul . So bid accordingly. Seller says has owned 25 years - so from 1992 ? - ex op maybe ?

Yes I can see that now, thanks. In the quick look I had this morning I was looking mainly at the side decals.

This is why I don't want to travel too far, in case it turns out to be misrepresented.

Willing, and I believe capable, to fix what's needed on the playfield.

What do you think it's worth as it is?

Back in 2011, when I didn't have space for one, you could get them for around £1k. Now I have loads of space, people want £2.5k+

I've had 53. Let's just say the mean cost since 1994 is a lot higher than the mode (0 level statistics coming in there!)

All the classic sci fi pins are on the up regardless of game "quality" as the themes have much wider public appeal

Regret not getting Phil's T2 last year

Back in 2011, when I didn't have space for one, you could get them for around £1k. Now I have loads of space, people want £2.5k+

Well I have one which I don't want to sell, even though it's not currently set up and probably won't be for a fair while.

Years ago I had an Addams, back when they were reasonable money, which I sold to get another pin. Now I'd like another Addams but the way the price has gone there's no chance - and I'm starting to look at the SW in the same way, sell it now and I may never get another.....

Sellers regret, I know that well. I mainly collect retro computers and consoles and I regret selling the Jaguar, Dreamcast, and Saturn consoles, and an Acorn Archimedes I had at one time.

I have got a couple of possible leads on the go so fingers crossed.

The next question though is how do I bring it back home!?

I have a 2013 Ford Kuga which I think will fit a Data East if this site is to be believed

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles_for_Moving_Pinball_Machines

The US version of the Kuga is the Escape which is listed as taking a Data East.

Does anyone know for sure if DESW will fit in a 2013 Ford Kuga, and how best it should go in? Does this forum have a list of vehicles and the pins that will fit? I couldn't find one. Is there a moving checklist I can follow to make sure I move it without damage? I presume I remove the balls and use cardboard and straps to secure it.

In 2011 I turned one down at £650! How times have changed.

I’ve had about 5 of these at different times. This was going back 10 years or more though. They used to go for £350. Same price guaranteed all day long. I even remember getting one from Paul50s in Germany for £350 plus shipping. You could almost use it as the Big Mac Index of the pinball world. I realise times have changed (someone recently used the term ‘pinflation’ on here - I like that) so I was really chuffed when I was offered this one I have now last week.

Transportation wise I brought it back in a BMW X1. I tried picking up a DE LW3 from Steve’s in Brum in my X1 before Christmas and that’s when I realized they don’t go in laid down regular you have to put them in sideways (picture it set up for play, take legs off, rotate 90 degrees - sounds scary but neither the LW3 nor the SW came to any harm transported that way!).

Need to get that added to the spread sheet.

Last edited:
I’ve had about 5 of these at different times. This was going back 10 years or more though. They used to go for £350. Same price guaranteed all day long. I even remember getting one from Paul50s in Germany for £350 plus shipping. You could almost use it as the Big Mac Index of the pinball world. I realise times have changed (someone recently used the term ‘pinflation’ on here - I like that) so I was really chuffed when I was offered this one I have now last week.

Transportation wise I brought it back in a BMX X1. I tried picking up a DE LW3 from Steve’s in Brum in my X1 before Christmas and that’s when I realized they don’t go in laid down regular you have to put them in sideways (picture it set up for play, take legs off, rotates 90 degrees - sounds scary but neither the LW3 SW came to any harm transported that way!).

Need to get that added to the spread sheet.

I assume you put something under the main body of the cab to prop it up at the same height as the back box while being transported ?

Need to strap the machine up properly though to stop hinges flexing. Have moved one before on its side. I don't see a huge difference between this or upending it. The only difference is making sure it doesn't fly around and it's propped on the shorter side.

Mr shrinky is your friend especially of you side ways them. Wpc are square but stern gottlieb and 6803 bally are much deeper than wide so often end up on the side in cars

Back
Top Bottom