What's new

Sold Data East Star Wars

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
After buying another game at Play Expo the other weekend it's time to move something on so my Data East Star Wars is up for sale. The game is in good shape and was shopped out by another forum member approx 1 year ago. Price is £1800 with the Pinsound board or £1600 without it.

Bad points are:
  • Couple of damaged plastics (slingshot and Boba Fett) but the game does come with a set of new sling plastics.
  • R2D2 bounces up and down ok but his head doesn't spin. I suspect a new motor would be needed and these can be got from Pinball Heaven for £50.
  • Far right vertical line is out on the DMD. This is not noticeable during gameplay.
  • Some of the backbox GI is out (top string) so likely needs a new connector fitting.
  • There's some packing tape on the backbox that needs cleaning off :)
Good points are:
  • The game is fitted with a Pinsound board so plays all of the proper Star Wars music. This thing is awesome and really makes the game (video below shows the epicness :D). This board alone is £300 and IMO is a must for this game! The game also comes with the original sound board so you could swap back if you wished.
  • To compliment the Pinsound board I've fitted an upgraded speaker kit courtesy of New Forest Pinball.
  • Game is all LED'd for inserts and flashers (there's a lot of them on this game) with GI being left as normal lamps.
As usual the pics below were taken with my GoPro so there's some fish eye to them :D

GOPR0435.JPG

GOPR0437.JPG

GOPR0439.JPG

GOPR0441.JPG

GOPR0443.JPG

GOPR0445.JPG

GOPR0448.JPG

GOPR0449.JPG

GOPR0451.JPG

GOPR0453.JPG

GOPR0457.JPG

GOPR0458.JPG

GOPR0460.JPG

GOPR0462.JPG

And here's the video of the Pinsound :eek: :D

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that this game is running the latest version of Chad H's code which changes the game rules so you have to play the whole playfield rather than the ramp all day strategy of the original code (the original ROMs are included in case you wanted to change it back....god knows why you would!) :thumbs:

Forgot to mention that this game is running the latest version of Chad H's code which changes the game rules so you have to play the whole playfield rather than the ramp all day strategy of the original code (the original ROMs are included in case you wanted to change it back....god knows why you would!) :thumbs:

It's a great game with either version of the code.....but with the Chad code do you think the value of the ramp is reduced too much, and the key to high scores is just repeated shots to the Force scoop?

but with the Chad code do you think the value of the ramp is reduced too much, and the key to high scores is just repeated shots to the Force scoop?

I find the best way to get scores is through multiball tbh but with some force scoop mixed in. The ramp still awards extra ball after 18 (I think) shots so there's still a reason to go for it. Overall I think the Chad code balances play across all shots on the playfield and makes the game loads more playable :thumbs:

Well I must admit I haven't had mine (with Chad rom) set up for a while....maybe it's about time for me to dig it out again!!!

:)

No interest in a nice Star Wars? I could do it without the Pinsound for £1700 and stick the original DE sound board back in but tbh having the proper music is what makes the game IMO :thumbs:

Just bumping this before I shuffle it towards the back of my storage/Dad's garage :D Got a couple of other projects that I'll be starting up after Transporter is done so need to move some games around. Can do it for £1650 without the Pinsound but trust me, you want the Pinsound :thumbs:

Price drop bump. £1800 for the game with the Pinsound board or £1600 without it :thumbs:

Right now that's out of the way, when are you selling me............ Flash Gordon, Fathom and Swords of Fury.
In any order I'm not to picky.
Flash Gordon, can you fit it with the Pinsound board? Would be great with music and callouts from the film, why hasn't this been done yet?

Flash Gordon, can you fit it with the Pinsound board? Would be great with music and callouts from the film, why hasn't this been done yet?

Not Pinsound but you can add music and callouts to early SS Bally games using an MP3 trigger board, extra switches, wiring etc. It's how the guy in the States did his Ghostbusters re-theme of a FG and a few people have added the Queen music to FG using the same kit. I'm toying with the idea of adding music to my Eight Ball Deluxe when I do that project :D

Not Pinsound but you can add music and callouts to early SS Bally games using an MP3 trigger board, extra switches, wiring etc. It's how the guy in the States did his Ghostbusters re-theme of a FG and a few people have added the Queen music to FG using the same kit. I'm toying with the idea of adding music to my Eight Ball Deluxe when I do that project :D
Sounds like a lot of work! I like plug and play, but would be good to see how it's done (just in case I find myself with a FG that needs an upgrade);)

Sounds like a lot of work! I like plug and play

Definitely not plug and play :D I'll be doing videos when I start on the EBD project so if I decide to change up the sounds then I'll try and cover what I do. I was thinking Ragtime music might suit EBD or maybe tunes like Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama :) I was also thinking that I could make it switch to something totally theme inappropriate when you get the 8 ball......Prodigy maybe :D

Back
Top Bottom