What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyclone Rebuild 98.2% done - need help with the last bit

Wizards_Hat

Registered
I posted this on Yahoo Group, and re-post here (as I know there are a lot of people that don't read the YG).

I've been bringing a Cyclone back from the dead & everything is now up & playing well & it's lovely & shiny

Just 3 problems remain that I could do with some help & advice on how to troubleshoot/fix:

1) Bottom half of the displays don't work - top half is fine, nice & bright straight away.

2)* Doesn't keep settings when switched off - obviously I've put fresh batteries in, and can't see any obvious signs of corrosion

3) GI doesn't work on playfield - though with this one I suspect this is due to hack on one of the boards...there is a connector missing & wires soldered directly onto the board.

Suggestions as to what to examine/try on the first 2 particularly would be welcomed (though advice on the 3rd would be good also)...bearing in mind I know very little (read nothing) about board repairs.

*Already suggested that I check the voltage at the board as the system 11 battery holders are rubbish (I will be doing that this afternoon)

Regards,

Dan.

#2 has been fixed - used a remote battery holder (so it was the rubbish battery holder at fault).

and as for #3 apparently it's not a hack, the board in question has wires directly from it from new.

Regards,

Dan.

Hey dan is it an interconnect board? Send me a pic as I may have a good spare thy are hard to find,also I can go through setting up the GI without using board as I did on my earthshaker

All problems sorted (well diagnosed at least).

#1 - displays are "gashed" (the Legend's description) - so I need a new one ...if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

#2 - battery holder was knackered

#3 - connector to the relay at the bottom of the playfield was not seated properly (looks like I'd knocked it off when putting the playfield back in!)

Slightly regretting using this playfield as my first ever go at Mylar removal - lifted several inserts...if they were still intact this machine would be absolutely first class. Still, bought as a wreck, now fully playable - so nothing lost
biggrin-1.png

Also, I've now played Cyclone - never had that opportunity before, and I like system11 games - this one seems like fun, and a bit more challenging than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for everone's help & advice today

Regards,

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom