What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowbar Needed :-)

Wiredworm

Registered
We took the kids to an Easter Disco at a local club yesterday and whilst there I spied a Baywatch Pinball.

No playfield glass on it and a fair amount of dust gathered on top. Couldn't find anyone to ask about it yesterday but I think a phonecall might be needed.

Anyone got a crowbar so I can try to pry it from the owners grip? It's clearly not being used but no clue on what condition it's in, nor if the owner is interesting in making a sale. Fully working i'd say it's a £600 to £800 machine so a non-runner is probably going to be no more than £400 tops, but of course that will depend on if the boards and DMD are in a reasonable condition. Likewise for the playfield.

Wish me luck folks - i'm going to see if I can rescue it.

Initial contact made - guy I spoke to sounded positive and said they might consider it, but that unfortunately i'd need to speak to the landlady to get a definite answer.

So i'm calling back tonight after 6pm.

Fingers crossed.

Oh, and if they agree they're interested then i'll hopefully take a trip down there and get them to open it up so I can see the state under the playfield and in the backbox. Could just be a fuse after all...... ;-)

Will do. Not even considered where i'll put it if I do manage to negotiate a deal.

It was actually the missus who suggested I talk to them about it - I have no idea why she did that when she always moans at me about my Pinball 'crap' taking up so much space. Go figure eh? ;-)

Couple have sold on eBay in the last couple of months. One on 2nd April went for £698 and the other back in February for £876, although by all accounts the latter was a very nice example.

Assuming they want to sell then my offer will obviously be influenced by what work it needs doing and what is and isn't missing. :)

If we open the backbox and all the boards have walked then naturally it sours the deal a little - but lets see what they say. If it's out of my price range then I might be willing to broker a deal for another interested party on here.

Don't make the mistake of getting it working infront of them even it is only a fuse. Heard of people doubling the price once they saw it actually worked!

Thanks people.

I made the call but don't have an answer as yet. I was told that the glass was removed because it got cracked but other than that they don't believe there is anything else wrong with the machine. They also said they'd been considering getting it fixed up and put back in the bar because it was taking money, but they just hadn't got around to it.

Anyway, she's going to speak to the guy who also part-owns it with her and get back to me. My gut feeling is that it's going to be a non-starter as a sale, but if that happens and they do want it fixing up then i'll offer my services to give them a hand. I'd rather see it playing nicely in a venue where it might get some play than have it consigned to neglect in the corner. If that happens then it's at least been a partial victory.

I'll post more when I hear back in the next few days.

i think i would give them pinball mania / pinball heaven there number to them ,so thay could have a inderpendant value on a
none working ,stored for how long ? and how much that it could cost ,repaired machine.:eek:
best of luck though !!

Cheers guys.

The aim here is to get another Pin in a playable state; if they want to offload it to me at a good price to give it some TLC then that's fine, but i'm equally happy just helping them to get it up and running. It's only just up the road from me so i'd be happy to pop in for a pint and a game of Pinball from time to time. Who knows, maybe they could site machines for me when I get to the point where I need more space for the next acquisition.

Watch this space folks. In the meantime i've got an R&B to get fixed up.

Thanks people.

I made the call but don't have an answer as yet. I was told that the glass was removed because it got cracked but other than that they don't believe there is anything else wrong with the machine.

That probably wasn't the original glass, then. On all the occasions I've broken an original playfield glass, it's shattered into fragments, like the side windows/rear windscreen of a car.

Yeah, that's my experience too - generally they smash into thousands of pieces.

Will be interesting to see what they have to say. I'd like to take a look at it anyway just to get an idea of the playfield state and to see what, if any, horrible operator bodges have been made to keep it running. Tinfoil instead of fuses anyone?

Yeah, that's my experience too - generally they smash into thousands of pieces.

Will be interesting to see what they have to say. I'd like to take a look at it anyway just to get an idea of the playfield state and to see what, if any, horrible operator bodges have been made to keep it running. Tinfoil instead of fuses anyone?
Sega playfields seem to stand up pretty good to wear and tear in my experience. It may well have wear around the shark hole/upper left flipper, common on BWs.

Thanks for the pointer Grizz. I'll be sure to pay attention to that area in particular. :)

Not a sausage yet unfortunately :-(

To be fair i've not pushed it as I was out the country all last week. Might pop down or give them a ring later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom