What's new

Crappy Issue With A Soil Stack

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
We are slowly renovating an Edwardian house and fours years ago had the builder redo the first floor WC. Last year it started to leak from the pan connector into the soil stack. The stack is 4” and the builder didn’t use a flexible seal/gasket. They filled up the gap with sealant.
Now I can’t find a 4” option, and an attempt to use a 110cm one might have showed why the builder didn’t use one.
What are people using as I can’t be the only one to need a reducer for an older house with a modern toilet?

a5828863d7fe28b8a58f7acde1cdb57a.jpg

the end of these will fit into pipes 90-110mm so should squeeze into yours. i used similar in my victorian house i used to have. it had a really narrow waste so i had to trim the rubber seal down a bit

70f56ea2494474cda14bfdab5754d20b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick a pic of the offending thing , the soil pipe is mostly likely pot but could be cast iron .There is a thread on here saying how much we love plumbers and in that thread we do have a residential plumber on here . Give him a PM !!
Think it is @robertlucas1970 ?

Thanks folks.
Hard to get a picture as the toilet is in the way. The extendable options looks like what I need so will take another look. It is cast iron on that stack, the soil stack in the other side of the house was replaced it it was corroded some quite sure.
Right, I can dream of fixing it tomorrow.

And outside diameter is 4” so inside would be 3 1/2, I knew I was missing something.

The Mcalpine link above is certainly the way to go.

The cast iron pipe is imperial but Mcalpine do numerous conversions.

Go to your local independent plumbers merchants on Monday and they'll sort you out. You'll spend ages mucking around in screwfix only to end up with the wrong part otherwise.

From what you folks are all saying and there isn’t a lot of room because i can’t move the toilet, this adapter looks like it will be an all in one fit.

Amazon sell it so I can avoid going out but at the same time, do want to test my local plumbing shop and give them some trade.

Dont even get me started on lead pipes..... Let along Strangely fitting soil stacks!

We had loads of lead and other metal pipes hidden away. Sometimes the bit you could see was from the 80’s but just joined up to the older bits when away from view.
Live gas pipes for gas fires that no longer existed that were indistinguishable from water pipes.
Electric wires from every decade of the last century.
Yesterday, trying to fix a leaking pan connector. Today, started rebuilding a dry stone retaining wall.

When did this bollox become how I need to spend my weekend?

Had to do a quick bodge on one for my uncles house( untouched since he bought it in the sixties....) I ended up trimming the rubber flanges down so the seal would fit into the stack. It had previously been sealed with that weird hessian tape soaked in tar/putty?!

You sure that was putty and not 70 years of excrement? :/
I did try to trim the flange and thought about shaving off a bit of the plastic pipes but realised I was too far wrong to make it good. I will update and take pictures and call this a shop log.

No pictures but from what I can tell, the McAlpine part did the job. I had to grind back the wall tiles as if felt they they were stopping the connected really getting into the stack. But 20 minutes of effort and that was done.
Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom