What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complicated test setups

lukewells

Registered
A WPC95 board setup for tracing out an issue with distortion and a high DC offset

As you can see lots of wiring to get the psu's setup right, all commoned to ground, with floating psu configured for +/- 15v with the centre point referenced to ground.

IMG_20150408_213744 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20150408_213750 (Medium).jpg

High Speed 2 Accelerator PCB with coil firing issues.

Master PSU reconfigured to series to allow for +50v, commoned to second psu, plus commend to the videogame tester to allow for logic tracing.

Digital DC load configured in resistance mode to simulate a pinball coil and provide the correct load on the accelerator drive transistors

IMG_20150414_210738 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150414_210738 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20150414_210738 (Medium).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
OMG. My test setup feels SO inadequate :oops: I was feeling pretty clever using an old slimline computer power supply to give +5VDC and +12VDC to test old Bally boards, but these photos give me serious PSU envy :(

Lovin' the Acorn monitor too ;)

OMG. My test setup feels SO inadequate :oops: I was feeling pretty clever using an old slimline computer power supply to give +5VDC and +12VDC to test old Bally boards, but these photos give me serious PSU envy :(

Lovin' the Acorn monitor too ;)

We all start out like that, at one point I used an old PC power supply too ;), but when you are doing daily testing, you quickly realise that the ability to have up to 5-8 independant voltages becomes necessary, plus the ability to do split rails etc for more complex stuff, as well as parallel for high current and series for high voltage. It took me years to get those 2 programmable psu's, but now I have them, I don't know how I coped before! Plus they are the must fun psu's ever to play with :rofl:

Plus I'll gladly vouch for how good Lukes work is, he's a chuffin genius! Makes the rest of us look like a bunch of uneducated monkeys! ;)

Plus they are the must fun psu's ever to play with
There aren't many of us on the planet that would describe using a PSU as "fun" but I know where you're coming from ;)
We know we're sad but we so happy in wrapped up in our little nerd bubbles we just don't care :D

Back
Top Bottom