What's new

Colour DMDs

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Finally got around to buying one and it turned up this morning. Initially I resisted buying one as they were restricted to a specific machine but since they now can be used on different machines I thought I'd take the plunge.

Anyway for anyone who hasn't yet tested the water they are an absolute piece of **** to fit. (OK I did stick it in upside down to start with :oops:). Easy to follow instructions and it worked fist time. Took less than 10 mins to install. Good Service from Sean at sending it out (originally they were out of stock but I got an email on Wednesday saying they had come back in)

Currently sitting in my WH20 but I might change it over to STTNG next week. Will be good to transfer it to liven up old machines every few months.

Not sure if I'd want one for all my games but will be keeping a beady eye out for the next machines announced. Hopefully they've opened up the coding to more people so less loved machines will also get the treatment.

Still think AFM looks the best so far out of the titles they've coded.

So now any colour DMD will work on any of the ones they've done? That sounds a lot better. And those are: MB AFM STTNG and WH2O, right? Any others? And how much are they now?

Strange - I thought they were a piece of cake to fit!!!

The screens themselves are universal - You are still restricted to the titles released by ColourDMD, other than if you want to run it in non-coloured mode - however this can be of a colour of your choosing, so you;re not just stuck with orange - Can be Red, green etc etc

"The ColorDMD currently supports WPC/WPC95 platforms and will be expanded to support other systems. There are two modes of operation: single-color (SIGMA) and multicolor. The single-color mode can be used with any game and supports 49 different color hues that can be selected through the integrated menu system. For multicolor mode, custom color data files must be created for each game. Color data currently exists for a number of games listed in our store and we are continuing to expand the library of supported games."

Current Colour titles.... Monster Bash, Scared Stiff, Whitewater, STTNG, Addams Family, MM, AFM and thats it i think - The screen is generic, you just need to install the Colour firmware of your choice....

I currently have one in MM and STTNG, and one waiting for Wh2o.... One short for TAF tho :(

Oops beaten to it by Paul (10 mins for me is a piece of ****:), I often **** things up)

Yup, basically you download the software from their site and use the USB port to install it.

Scared Stiff, TAF and MM are also out there already.

I suspect they've opened up the code to a bunch of different people. So we'll get more and more games soon.

Think there's an issue with STERNS but I've seen LOTR and the Simpsons in a Hi Res pic but not proper colour.

It's still £320 but far better value if it can be moved from game to game

upload_2013-9-7_12-0-17.pngupload_2013-9-7_12-0-49.png

Oops beaten to it by Paul (10 mins for me is a piece of ****:), I often **** things up)

Yup, basically you download the software from their site and use the USB port to install it.

I suspect they've opened up the code to a bunch of different people. So we'll get more and more games soon.

Think there's an issue with STERNS but I've seen LOTR and the Simpsons in a Hi Res pic but not proper colour.

View attachment 3283View attachment 3284

Bud PM me if interested in an Avatar Limited Edition (mint and totally stunning especially with upgraded sounds system) as i can put you in touch with a guy that may be tempted to sell.

If you're after an LCD for a machine then I will be publishing instructions on how to add one yourself using a DMD Extender - the instructions will show what bits to buy and from where and should be a viable alternative to investing in either a plasma display or a Color DMD for a machine that isn't yet coloured. I suspect the cost will be about £150.

The color dmd units do not work in Sterns (at the moment anyway). The units in the pics above in yellow look like LED displays, not tft/lcd as the color dmd ones are.

Good stuff Dr. P. I will have to try that out for sure.

The color dmd units do not work in Sterns (at the moment anyway). The units in the pics above in yellow look like LED displays, not tft/lcd as the color dmd ones are.

Good stuff Dr. P. I will have to try that out for sure.

I thought the same but saw these on pinside and they are actually color DMDs converted to run in Sterns by someone.

Images are from ColorDMD Facebook site - they say they'll have sigma screen running Stern machines by the end of the year / early next year.

Dont their patients tho refer to b/w only tho? Interesting news, bearing in mind that they werent interested in these a few months ago.....

Surely it's him who gets them on the market first.....

Thanks for the link Greg. Looks like it can be done for Sterns after all. I may just have to buy one of those.

If a UK supplier was to come around and get there first, then by all means i would support my brethren over the yanks in a heartbeat. Not a fan of waiting for anything these days. Lifes too short.

If a UK supplier was to come around and get there first, then by all means i would support my brethren over the yanks in a heartbeat. Not a fan of waiting for anything these days. Lifes too short.

Well said.
Plus no HMRC charges and the dreaded Parcelforce holding charge which is now £13.50, as I found out today. Again.

Check with Dr Pinball he is putting a kit together that runs on a LCD screen.

View attachment 3283View attachment 3284

Color dmd LOTR would rock

great dots on that game

Never understood what the attraction was, I look at the playfield and glance at the DMD, think colour is just a gimmick but that is just my take on it.

Surely it's less about how much the game is liked and more about how many of the machines are in circulation?

Although I guess people have to like a machine to stump up a few hundred quid to replace the DMD. I really hope they eventually do Rocky & Bullwinkle. The cartoon theme would make it perfect for a colour DMD.

Dr Who was done because someone in the community showed an interest in colouring the game and was given the chance by the Color DMD team. There are a number of these 'community colourists' working on different projects at the moment - 7 I think they said.

Edit, the full quote with correct numbers:

"Doctor Who was colored by Mark Jarzewiak, a member of the Northern Georgia Pinball League, and an active member of the Pinside and P-ROC forums. Mark joined the ColorDMD Developer Group in late 2013, and has done an outstanding job to bring the Doctor to life. We're excited to share his work with you!

Just as the Doctor's appearance changed with his 12th incarnation this year, Game 12 is a fitting position to alter the look of the game! A video trailer for the new ColorDMD display will be released on Monday, August 4th and the multicolor ROM will be available for download from our website by Friday, August 8th.

The ColorDMD Developer Group was formed to encourage participation by the pinball community, increase the rate at which games are colored, and extend the effort to color titles that might not otherwise be reached. The Developer Group has grown to seven developers and there are currently nine active projects at various stages of completion!

While support of the Developer Group does draw some time away from our own projects, we believe this is the right investment, both for the success of ColorDMD and for the benefit of the pinball community. If you're still wondering "Where's [insert game of choice]!?!"... Rest assured, "we have top men working on it." "

Assuming this last part is a hint towards Indiana Jones...

Back
Top Bottom