What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the playfield

Dalek

Registered
I have a Gameshow which is good condition but the playfield is a bit dirty. There are no scratches or anything but the colours seem to have a greyish tinge. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to bring the colours back? I am reluctant to use anything abrasive for feaar of doing a lot of damage.
Thanks for your help.

Does it have mylar on it ? May explain the dullness. You can use Novus 3 and 2 to buff up the mylar a bit, might help. Remove the mylar at your own risk on those Sys 11 machines !

If the colours are sun faded there is nothing you can do.

Usual cleaning advice is foaming cleaner for really dirty playfields, then use Novus 2 to clean and shine. You can then wax and polish to a shine if you want. Use a bit of caution on non mylared playfields as these Sys 11 games aren't Diamond plated/clearcoated and it is possible to remove paint with over zealous polishing.

Thanks for that.
I don't think it has a mylar coating. I thought of using Novus 2, but I thought that was for removing scratches rather than just dirt.

Dalek,

It's completely pointless using Novus 1 - it's got about as much clean as water (no done try that either!).

Novus 3 is really for scratches - Novus 2 is fine on PF's and what i generally use since it removes the dirt and most ball trails....

Paul

I am currently rebuilding my CFTBL after stripping for a good cleaning. It has a Diamondplate so not entirely relevant to your requirement but part of the process may help.

I got a Treasure Cove polishing kit from Paul last year which has a drill polishing adapter. I cleaned the playfield with foaming cleaner, then used novus 3 by hand, making sure I had a clean playfield. Then used the Treasure Cove 3,2,1 polishes and I was very impressed with the final result but thought I would apply the carnuba wax I had bought. It really did make the colours pop when polished up. Hopefully, it will play as good as it looks.

Hi Calimori,
Thanks for the tips. I am going to have to be very careful as I'm not sure whether my pin has a coating. There is nothing obvious. Can any of the other Game Show owners out there tell me?

Hi Calimori,
Thanks for the tips. I am going to have to be very careful as I'm not sure whether my pin has a coating. There is nothing obvious. Can any of the other Game Show owners out there tell me?

GS will NOT be diamond plated/clearcoated. It will have a finish to the artwork but nowhere near as hard wearing as 90s games. Hence why Sys 11 games are far more likely to have wear areas in heavy traffic zones. Therefore exercise caution when rubbing/polishing/cleaning especially in any worn areas. Novus 2 will be fine just don't rub like a maniac :)

Only some late Sys 11 games like Whirlwind have 'diamond plate' (the name Williams used for its clearcoating) - and only a few of the production run, same with BOP - Williams was testing its clearcoating prior to it becoming standard on all DMD era games.

I do use them but with extreme caution. They do get rid of the dirt better than novus but you should use IPA to wet them as opposed to water. I used magic eraser on my BoP and in one area I went through to the under coat. It lulls you into a false sense of security!! One minute it's fine and one rub later, you're through!! Arggghhhh!!

Tread carefully my friend.

My application of the wax was very old school. I applied it with my hand, using the warmth of my palm to melt the wax and my fingers to spread it about and rub into the playfield. I left it to dry for 30 minutes and then wiped it down with a micro cloth and gave it a little polish to shine it up.
As mentioned, it was thoroughly cleaned before that and I do think I had to find the balance between getting it cleaner or losing some paint by more rubbing.
I often end up using my fingers in these processes as I can feel the pressure I am applying.

The results will be posted in a shop log when I get the final hours needed to complete it.

My application of the wax was very old school. I applied it with my hand, using the warmth of my palm to melt the wax and my fingers to spread it about and rub into the playfield.

Wax on, Wax off Grasshopper... ;)

My application of the wax was very old school. I applied it with my hand, using the warmth of my palm to melt the wax and my fingers to spread it about and rub into the playfield. I left it to dry for 30 minutes and then wiped it down with a micro cloth and gave it a little polish to shine it up.
As mentioned, it was thoroughly cleaned before that and I do think I had to find the balance between getting it cleaner or losing some paint by more rubbing.
I often end up using my fingers in these processes as I can feel the pressure I am applying.

The results will be posted in a shop log when I get the final hours needed to complete it.

It sounds like you enjoyed rubing that wax in there Geoff.

I follow the same technique when detailing cars, motorbikes and sensuous back massages.

I practiced by painting some fences and waxing some cars, then Miyagi san said I was ready to take on Cobra Kai in the All Valley Pinball Waxing Tournament. They swept the leg though.....cheating bastards :biggrin1:

I practiced by painting some fences and waxing some cars, then Miyagi san said I was ready to take on Cobra Kai in the All Valley Pinball Waxing Tournament. They swept the leg though.....cheating bastards :biggrin1:

Please supply me more information about these Pinball Waxing Tournaments as I might like to enter one in the future. I think I am better at the waxing than they playing. :)

Back
Top Bottom