What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church Organ

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
Ok this is a weird one I know! But does anyone have any tips on how I might go about learning to play church organ type music (but more moody)? I've used synths. I own a few. I'm no musician. I can get by on my Gaia and Wavestation. Specifically looking to create this type of sound:
I bought a Yamaha ReFace YC this evening but **** me it's really exposing my lack of keyboard skills. I don't have time to learn the piano. So question is...how do I level up fast???

A lot of romplers have a decent church organ sounds in them.... try the Roland JV1080 or XP50.

BTW, that sounds like Dracula music..... if you want to play church organ stuff, this is the master of them all:

I'm glad you said Dracula as that's exactly the atmosphere I'm looking for :) I think I'm going to try running the Yamaha Reface YC through midi and some pedals and effects. The sound is OK from the YC but my sausage fingers and lack of talent are really struggling with the keyboard.

The sound is OK from the YC but my sausage fingers and lack of talent are really struggling with the keyboard.

Mini keys are no good for sausage fingers...! Mine are the same. Grab a Roland JV1010 and full size key midi keyboard for cheap on the Bay. I'll sort you a demo of the XP50 (same engine) church organ later. Built in reverb too on these synths so external effects may not be needed. ;)

Here's a quick clip from the game. I had intended to do the whole thing in 24 weeks originally but it has somewhat spiralled out of control. Now well over a year in and another year to go...

Attachments

• Bats.mp4
    82.9 MB
Is the 1080 worth getting over the 1010? Doesn't seem to be any 1010's available in this country, mostly from Japan. Quite a few 1080's though.

Yeah, not a lot of price difference and you get rack unit, display and four expansion slots for SR-JV80 boards on the JV1080. Loads to choose from. Had loads of romplers and this is best for buck imo.

The Interstellar video was the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the thread title :D

Here is another couple of videos of Interstellar songs being played on church organs:

I defy anyone not to get chills at the 2:38 point in that video. :eek:

JV1010 purchased :) Found one down south. Sounds like the 1080 isn't quite as good sonically and the YouTube clips I watched of the cathedral and pipes definitely didn't sound as good. Apparently "The JV-1010 has a better piano and better sampled strings. That's because it has the "Session" expansion board built in and these sounds are stronger in Session than in the native JV/XP ROM (that they both share)".

Looking forward to it :) Had a play on the YC through a full size keyboard over midi last night. It was much much easier to play but I wasn't able to get that convincing cathedral sound out of it so I guess that's going to be more of a toy to take on holiday.

So apparently I can return the YC for a credit note (£250) and get something else instead. No idea what though. Dawsons don't seem to stock much of what I want. I'd like a Deepmind 12 but they only do the module version. Thinking maybe I might get a Tascam Digital Recorder for doing foley work? What do you think?

I've had a Deepmind 12 and only sold it to fund something else that never arrived from overseas.... so intend on getting a 12D module version at some stage to replace. It's a good synth for the money. No experience of the other gear...

How you getting on with the JV? I've got a few expansion boards up for sale soon if interested. Vintage Synth (the best one), Techno and Orchestral II.

The JV is great, thanks for the recommendation! :) So many presets to go through properly yet, but loads of useful stuff there.

I ended up swapping the Yamaha for a Tascam recorder and also an Arturia Beatstep Pro which I am absolutely loving. Perfect for controlling the JV too. I need to try and stay off it for a few weeks though as I have too much work to do as usual. How much are you thinking of for those expansion boards?

Glad to hear :) I've been through loads of Roland JV/XP & XV gear through the years (including the expansions) and still have the JV80, XP50 & JV1080.

Just checked the latest sold prices on eBay then knocked some £ off to save listing etc..... so:

Techno £50. Some decent drum kits included on this one.
Orchestral II £70. This is the better of the two Orchestral boards imo.
Vintage Synth £120. This is the best of all of the expansions and quite sought after. Jupiter 8/Junos/Mellotron, VP330 etc.

I'm tempted by the Vintage Synth board...............but aargh...I think I need to reign in my spending a bit, so I'm going to say a reluctant no unfortunately. Temptation < Must be strong.

Back
Top Bottom