What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"CHKSUM ERROR U18" The Getaway Highspeed II

Per

Registered
Hi Guys,

Hope you can be able to help me... Feel like I have tried everything.
My problem is my Getaway Highspeed II have a "CHKSUM ERROR U18" in the error log, also there is no sound on the machine... There is 3 "bong" when it boots, but no audio in the game at all.
I have checked the ribbon cable, and it is ok.
I have bought a new U18 sound ROM, so that is also ok. (Checked it in my TAF)
Yesterday I took the soundboard from my TAF and placed it in The Getaway, and that made the audio work, so the fault seems to be somewhere on the soundboard...
Is there anybody in here that have seen this before, or know what could be the fault?

Please let me know, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

I did yes... Also everything worked when I took the soundboard from my TAF and placed it in The Getaway HS2.
So the error seems to be somewhere on the soundboard.

Just for peace of mind, try the Addams ribbon cable in the Getaway.

From what I can gather from some old posts on Pinside you may need to start looking at continuity from the pins of the U18 socket with a test meter.

Reactions: Per
Hi Andrew,

I will try to move the ribbon cable from Addams Family to The Getaway, just to have peace in mind like you say :)
Did not do it before because I assumed it worked, after all everything was ok with the Addams Family soundboard.

About measuring and re-soldering, I already did that (Forgot to mention it in the first post), and that did not do anything...

One thing I have noticed is also that when I remove U18 and boot the machine, the 3 "bong" is not there when it boots, so no audio at all.
Do you know what is generating the 3 "bong"?

Hi Andrew,

I am aware the 3 bongs are the U18 error, but to me it is strange I have nothing when it is not there...
Would expect it would give an error when it is missing :)

I am aware the 3 bongs are the U18 error, but to me it is strange I have nothing when it is not there...
Would expect it would give an error when it is missing :)

No, it is not programmed to give a response when nothing is there... hence no bongs.

You have a problem with the holder for U18 or something that connects (for example a diode, capacitor or PCB track) to it or a PCB path routed through it.

Thanks Moonraker, I just thought it would react to that too...

My guess is also some kind of that, but hoped someone had seen this before, and knew what parts to change :)

Capacitors might be the first place to start... They often seems to cause problems :-(

Back
Top Bottom