What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Chicago Coin Rodeo (Yehaaaaaa Bugger you) EM Rifle Game

I just found this post.
I too have a Rodeo. Having some challenges getting everything working properly. Clean and adjust things fixes one thing, then damages others.
I'd love to trade pictures and help in any way I can.

Hi. Not really started mine yet. I fixed a few major issues, it coins up and i have put it on free play. Sometimes the shot counter gets stuck and you get as many shots as you like. I need to strip all mechs down and clean them. The shot counter wiper must have fallen apart at some stage as it has been solderd back with bits from other machines - it works though. Happy to help where i can.

Thanks,
I actually have the schematics. BTW, I also have the parts manual, let me know if you need any of that information. I'm working on a couple of problems right now, and of course, I think I made things worse rather than better. The drop target #1 wasn't dropping when hit, so I worked on adjusting that. For some reason it still won't drop. I took apart the flashing bull / missed shot mechanism with the three wheels to clean and lubricate. Of course, when I cleaned, the sharpie marker showing my alignment was cleaned off and I didn't have a before picture. I've posted how it's looking now when I turn the machine on. Can you either verify it's correct or post what you have for the three wheels when you turn the machine on.

When I took the mechanism off, I think I broke something else because now the drop targets don't reset (they were before I started this round of "fixes". Using the schematics, I figured I should clean and adjust the cam 1 stack 3 (also labeled switches c-1 - c-4). In order to get in there I took the score reset motor assembly off the door, removed one of the screws from the stack and pivoted the stack so I could clean the contacts. the problem is, when I pivoted the assembly back into place, a piece fell off the assembly and I cannot figure out where is it supposed to go or how. (Picture included) I'm thinking the original problem I was having with the reset was some short circuit that was originally being protected by the dried out black tape that fell off (and again, don't know where it was).20220627_163709.jpg20220627_163745.jpg20220627_163604.jpg20220627_163612.jpg

Hi

I can't see the bit on mine that has dropped of yours, maybe a bodge from a previous owner?

Please take a look at the following film, hopefully of some help?

John

Well I remounted the score motor back on the door. Didn't see where the part went that fell out. Now I'm thinking it has something to do with stopping the score motor. When I plug in the machine and turn it on, the score motor runs non-stop.

Any thoughts?

Unlikely. Score motor stops when all contacts in series with the supply to the motor are open. Answer will be in the schenatic. Check all contacts in series to figure out which one is closed and why.

Well after checking a bunch of wiring and trying to match to the schematics, I went back to Occam's Razor. Even though I couldn't see it, and I'm still not sure I understand why, it was (at least) one of the 4 switches on CAM 1, stack 3 that was causing the problem. As I showed previously and I think you correctly identified, a previous owner had a completely different adjustment on the stack and they were using something (picture above) to force the blades abnormally high to support the make / break adjustments. When it fell out, I forgot to look at the proper alignment of the stack. While they were normally open, they were also never closing. Since they didn't close, they didn't indicate to something that the switch activated and so the score motor kept running.

My current problem (again, one of my own making) is that the 4 drop targets never reset. I was messing around with one of the targets and I wonder if I messed up a switch there. Although I would expect them to reset anyway during a game reset, but that's not happening either. If I understand the schematic, it should only take either the slide reset or shot 13 to send power to the 2 coils through the score motor switch c-3.

Please let me know if you read the same in the schematics.

I don't think the targets reset if you knock them all down. Please let me know what you see on your game or the schematics,
Once I have this resolved I need to reinstall / align the gun and board. I was having a problem with the chain length and the way the gun was installed, you could move it back a little too far and that would send the stylus flying. From what I can see, the stylus just sits in the spring and floats, there is nothing to attach it to the arm so it cannot fly off.

Is that your experience?

Thanks

My current problem (again, one of my own making) is that the 4 drop targets never reset. I was messing around with one of the targets and I wonder if I messed up a switch there. Although I would expect them to reset anyway during a game reset, but that's not happening either. If I understand the schematic, it should only take either the slide reset or shot 13 to send power to the 2 coils through the score motor switch c-3.

Please let me know if you read the same in the schematics.
If the other reset coil works fine then you need to check if the issue is mechanical or electrical at the drop targets. Would suggest a bust wire at C-3 or at / from the drop target reset coil to C-3 or Line. You can strap a pair of wires from the other reset coil direct to prove the coil and mech quickly, during game operation modes. If it starts working remove one wire. If still working replace it and then remove the other. That will tell you which wire is failing to conduct - get them the right wayt round or you will create a dead short and a bit of magic smoke at the fuse (e.g. make sure the reset coil is in the middle of the new circuit you create).... There could be many reasons why electrically it does not work: Jones plug, broken conductor on any part of the circuit, or at the other end to Line (white), duff coil if it has been stuck on for hours on end. If mechanical yo shoudl see this with the coil trying to reset, may need a mirror or a mate.
1657262635742.png

I don't think the targets reset if you knock them all down. Please let me know what you see on your game or the schematics,
Agree, only at 14shots or new game after game over.
Once I have this resolved I need to reinstall / align the gun and board. I was having a problem with the chain length and the way the gun was installed, you could move it back a little too far and that would send the stylus flying. From what I can see, the stylus just sits in the spring and floats, there is nothing to attach it to the arm so it cannot fly off.
There are 13 links on mine, about 9inches from underside of barrel to top of deck - see picture. I have had no issues with chain, looks unmolested.

Sounds like yo are almost there to be honest.

JB

Grr. Made no changes, now when I turn the machine on, it will not start a game. (Credits not an issue).
Please let me know if you are seeing the same thing.
On the back of the machine, there is a drawing showing the score motor switches and what appears to be the normally open / closed position. When comparing the value for Bank B, stack 1 (only one stack) it's showing a difference between the schematic and the back of the cabinet.
B1 - Closed,
B2 - Opened

I think I saw in the schematic they are both normally opened.
How are your switches configured and do you see this same discrepancy?

Its probably just a duff image of the contact in the cab - mine is the same. Not being funny but answer is i the schematic and looking at the hardware :)
If you look at B1 on the panel drawing, it seems to show it as closed at high position. This means open must be down or low. It can only go down but the contact construction (depicted in the drawing) means going down or low will just make it apply more pressure to the closed position... The schematic tells me that B1 & B2 are both N/O contacts. If i look at the physical cam they are normal open on High and both close on low - the drawing on the back is wrong, probably just for illustration purposes is my guess.

If i may, stop taking stuff apart and focus on one issue at a time. Your issue now is that it wont credit up, Check the schematic and see what needs to happen. I set mine to free vend by shorting the EOS switch on the credit wheel with a set of crock clips. This switch in the Chicago Coin world is known as the Credit Unit Post SW.

Try looking here for your issue: -

1657391370279.png

Or here: -

1657391520254.png

Thanks,

Yea, the aggravating part is, I didn't change anything or take anything apart. One day it worked, the next it didn't. I'll go through everything.

@rmillman I was recently recording a new audio visual ditty for Rodeo Rebooted and i noticed on some of my old images, where i think your white plastic and metal thing may have come form. You know the bit that fell out? Check your wiper blades, it may be used with others to hold the blades togethor. I cant check mine as it is burred ready to go to a show. Scroll up this page until you see it and you will see a wiper assembly next to it, with what may be an empty hole in it...

Just thought i would mention it.

JB

Still not finding where it should go. I did find that one of my drop targets had a burnt coil, I'm waiting for delivery on that. I also think that the target reset issue is possibly due to a jones plug issue, I've recleaned those (with a wire brush) and pinched the connectors down on the sockets. Once I get the coil installed, I'll put everything back together again (took the bottom board out to work on it on the bench).

Good catch, turns out it is a broken pin out of the wiper. I could take the wiper apart and try to melt the two pieces together, but that may go under the heading of creating new problems to fix one that's (right now) not too bad. That's actually an arm from the plastic piece on the other side holding the wiper on. It has 4 pins, now it has 3.
Not seeing anything in any of the parts catalog that those were sold separately, so I'll have to find that part at a show from another machine.

Good catch, turns out it is a broken pin out of the wiper. I could take the wiper apart and try to melt the two pieces together, but that may go under the heading of creating new problems to fix one that's (right now) not too bad. That's actually an arm from the plastic piece on the other side holding the wiper on. It has 4 pins, now it has 3.
Not seeing anything in any of the parts catalog that those were sold separately, so I'll have to find that part at a show from another machine.
I wouldn't worry about, will work fine with 3, forget about it :)

@Biff Latest update on my Rodeo:
Changed a coil on one of the drop targets, it now drops when hit. Having intermittent problems with another one now. I cleaned the jones plugs better and the drop targets are getting better at resetting, the coils are triggering, but they don't always catch in the reset. I'm wondering if new coils or if there is a way to have the coils hold longer by closing the gap on the switch in the score stack.
Moving on to getting the gun properly aligned.
As you can see from the picture below, it looks like a hack in terms of the last person who installed it. (I won't take credit for this one)
can you take a similar photo so I can see how much comes out of the bottom, of the stylus hub and bracket assembly.
Mine is definitely askew. I was expecting it to be flush (pipe into the arm bracket) with the bottom of the bracket.

Attachments

• rodeostylusarm.png
    rodeostylusarm.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi, It doesn't kook much differnt to mine: -

1658128674610.jpeg

When got it it had a 3mm bolt being used as stylus...

IMG_0477.JPEG

I made one out of solder and a bolt and created a milupt head to house and insulate it from the arm, as i didn't have any orioginal fittings - so far it has worked well - using silver solder may make immure hard waring.

IMG_0533.JPEG

So after a couple of hours playing with the alignment, i finally got everythnig working. (Although I could use a little more tweaking with the gun alignment, a couple of the targets don't aim properly, but I'm concerned about messing up what is working.
All of the contacts / scoring is working.

Thanks for your help.

The best way I finally found to get alignment was (with machine off) to unplug the scanner board and connect my meter with continuity tone generator so I could hear when it was properly aligned. Then I could see how far off I was and make adjustments. I also used a pair of phones with video calling so I could see what was going on underneath while targeting.

Some of my challenges were that there were a number of components that needed to be aligned. (I had taken the scanner board out, the bottom of the stylus arm was installed at an angle, I made it flush with the pipe coming from the gun stock.

Anyway,

Thanks for the help and support.
Now I'm debating purchasing a replacement backglass (all of my shot numbers are gone, actually almost all the paint is missing from that row) but since that's just cosmetic, not sure I want to make that investment.

Congrats. Nice idea with the multimeter. 👍 i was going to make a start on the Pi coding this week while on holiday on tge canal. Too much space taken up with everything so gave up after first night. Will resume after pinfest.

@rmillman can you do me a favour please?

Can open up the bottom back door and take a picture please of the coil labels located on the bottom right hand side. Labels 2 and three from the left are intact, but label 1 is missing. Looks like all three are related to the moving targets. If you can get a picture of all three that would be great.

Thanks.

JB

Okay, had all day today on wiring up my bread board with buttons and reconfirming relays i can use on the EM game. I also edited some cool background music, and some gun shot sounds. Leaving the voice calls till last as i want to make sure 100% that the pi can handle what i want to to achieve. I have also been doing some coding. A nice chap on the pi forum did some code for me months back now. i have been editing it today and trying to understand bits of it - i am not a coder so steep learning curve... Unfortunately i have a software issue on the pi, that the media module is not working as it should and the script is crashing out so no sounds for you yet,

Real shame as I as hoping to show background music and a few effects.

Anyway, here is a vid of my untidy desk, a breadboard and some script and some mumbles form me...

Enjoy

JB

Okay so getting close to having MVO1 ready, had some audio issues, as detailed in the video, but... Since making this video (to ask for some help on the Pi forum) a few days ago though, i think i have solved them. More details later in the MVO1 video on the resolution.

For now though, you can see the issue i was having.

JB

Last edited:
MVO1 is done :) Updated the main table index on page one also.

Thanks to @Wizcat for his help and future help for the rest of the project... :)

All FX sounds working via simple inputs no logic (basic input to file output sound) and a defined code structure.

Seems like we have a ghost in the machine too...

Watch till the end it is 19 minutes long though, so make sure you have a cup have a drink and something to nibble on.,. A cup of tea and maybe some Jaffa cakes... icon_e_smile.gif

Will make a start on MVO2 next week.

Link to the to the MVO1 Video: -
11/09/2022 - MVO1 or minimum Viable Offering 1 will comprise: All FX sounds working via inputs but no logic (basic input to file output sound) and a defined code structure.

Cheers

JB

well what a lazy b@stard i have been... Not touched in months :-( been busy with lots of other stuff. Wil resume soon.

Little plug for the Chip Sid Show on face book: -

Done form **** end of a commodore 64!

Someone puts in appearance at around 52 minutes in;-)

See you at my meet soon Midlander's.

Back
Top Bottom