What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing perspective.

Gonzo

Site Supporter
Alias
Kris
I know this is all old news to a lot of you but please indulge an excitable bloke who's played some famous pinball machines for the first time.

First of all let me say a massive thank you to Neil who allowed me to gatecrash his house at tea time, in order to play some pinball. In short I have some purchase decisions to make and needed to play some of the newer releases and get some advice.

Possibly I've come away with more questions than answers but I've certainly learnt a great deal. I arrived with some preconceived ideas about what I'd like and what I wouldn't, many of those preconceptions have been squished.

Jurassic Park:
Well I got that one wrong. . . it's excellent and a real contender. Great rules, some lovely shots and of course a very good theme. If ever there was an example of needing to play a game without distraction and for more than 5 mins this is it. The first time I played it was at Chief and as nice as it was I had a fleeting game and was looking after my son. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to owning a machine but for anyone considering their first purchase (I've noticed a few recently) It's incredibly important to see if you'll gel with a theme or layout before committing to any serious outlay.

Elvira:
Me: "Mate, I'm on limited time and for some reason don't like the look of this. "
Neil: "Seriously, it's great, you'll love it. Set-up a 2 player game."

Well suffice to say that Neil was correct and I was completely unprepared for how good this game was. Maybe I've missed it but I've not seen it discussed and awful lot on here but the game just seemed to make sense. The shots were all in the right places, it looked great and there was a Doris with enormous knockers on the backbox. On initial inspection there didn't seem an awful lot to shoot for but it had plenty to do and a real fast pace.
It was so good I almost ordered one tonight 😬.

Deadpool:

Something I've played previously for 30 mins so I had a bit of a head-start. It's such a good game, full of fun and very playable. I've actually come to the conclusion that despite the personal preferences we are very lucky with these modern pinballs. Some might prefer Guardians, or Deadpool and I myself have not been impressed with Star Wars following a £2 game 😂. The truth is that these machines are excellent beautifully polished mechanical marvels. Whichever one you may have you're privileged.

Iron Maiden:

My second go and it's an impressive piece of engineering. I have a feeling I'd get frustrated with the left ramp shot through the pop bumpers but then again I'm crap. I'm sure a decent player gets a lot of fun out of this. Every inch a modern pinball.

Walking Dead:

I can really see the attraction with this. It's a very naughty toy with short game time but I think it would probably make you take more care with shots. It was a bit like climbing sheer rock face with no rope where each and every finger grip and maneuver must be treated with great care otherwise you're mincemeat. Ironically Neil has these pins set-up steeper than the north face of Everest so perhaps ropes and chalk would have been useful kit.

Star Trek:

Again, I've played this before and I wasn't wrong the first time. I've not seen a more impressive machine under the glass with the playfield light show and animated spaceship all adding to the drama. The lighting is amazing and the shots are as good as it gets in terms of ramps and the rhythm of the game. Very fast but very rewarding.
It's off my list because I'm borrowing Spiderman for a while but I'll own this game at some point. If I were to put a non-player on a game for the first time to try and get them into the hobby this would be my choice. Outstanding.

Monster Bash Remake:

I'd never played MB before and this was more of the same from CGC (I'd played MM & AFM previously). Stunning piece of work and a great game which is easy to understand. Not for me in a 3 game collection but I can see the appeal massively.

To conclude . . . . . I had a lot of fun 😂😂

Aside from that I have a decision to make. But TWD, JP2 & Elvira are right at the top of the list and I have clearly been too quick to judge Turtles without having seen or played it. It may or may not stay as the number one game in the charts but whoever owns one will have a lovely bit of kit on their hands.

No view on stranger things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No view on stranger things?

Good point 😂

Stranger things is an odd one. All I seem to have heard is negativity but I refer back to my previous comment, 'If you have one of these modern games you're bloody lucky'.

I was of course quivering at the prospect of trying to hit the Demogorgon shot. 'It can't be done' they cried. . . . it can. My second attempt at trying the shot it went straight into the monsters cake-hole. Sorted.

Of course I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting because the expectation was so low. The ramps are achievable and return the ball quickly and the sequence to drop the screen was achieved on my first ever game.
The back of the playfield is obscured by the screen but my first pinball was Popeye so this was panoramic by comparison. The light show is outstanding and the music builds to high drama and is well integrated.
What I would say is that it doesn't look like it will be anything special when it's switched off. The blank screen and plain ramps need the illumination.

It was a fun game but whilst I was playing it my mind was elsewhere . . . . just to the left of me a lady with big knockers was tempting me to drain the ball for another pop at that haunted house & crypt.

Out of interest why is Elvira so much more expensive?

Nice write up Gonzo.
It’s always a bonus if you can play before you buy.
Something I haven’t done 😬
Good effort for Neil to let you gate crash.
Have to say, I kinda dismissed Elvira also but think the code updates have made it much more special having watched streams and vids 👍
Maybe it’s just more expensive with the new Stern pricing.

yeah I forgot about that - Elvira is what Stern call a boutique game. Its not actually IP owned by Stern but they make it on behalf of another company, when they do this; to make a return they focus on premium, LE, Super LE - with no pro (although that's really BS). They have done this with three games. Batman '66 being the first. In this instance the other company is Nordman and Ferres who have designed all the Elvira games - Ferres works for Stern as head of art. Norman works for Deeproot, or did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up Gonzo.
It’s always a bonus if you can play before you buy.
Something I haven’t done 😬
Good effort for Neil to let you gate crash.
Have to say, I kinda dismissed Elvira also but think the code updates have made it much more special having watched streams and vids 👍
Maybe it’s just more expensive with the new Stern pricing.

Morning mate, if Elvira was a similar price I would just get that but when the JP pro is over £2k less it starts to muddy the water.

Yeah, mine don’t do that!
Had my sons stag do here Friday night and someone who doesn’t even like or play pinball said he loved playing TWD, probably because I set it up right😄
Even my Avatar plays friendly😂
Hard choice from that list!

How repetitive is the call outs on Elvira?
Has this been sorted in the code now? .......................................................... and more importantly, does she get her gravity defying jugs out on the hidden wizard mode?

How repetitive is the call outs on Elvira?
Has this been sorted in the code now? .......................................................... and more importantly, does she get her gravity defying jugs out on the hidden wizard mode?

Yes, three orbits in a row and they crashed down from the backglass crushing the haunted house. Fortunately that maneuver also evicted all of the ghoulish characters from the mansion which is the object of the game.

The call outs in Elvira are the least repetitive in any game in my view. Compared to turtles and JP2 for sure!

Back
Top Bottom