What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change of software?

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
I know we like what we have here, however I'm seriously contemplating changing forum software. As much as i love this one, development has stopped, and there is no news of if it will restart in January after a court case between it and one of the larger brands has been completed.

There's also rumors of a split between the developers, which doesn't bode well.

So i'm toying with changing to Vbulletin (4, since 5 has just been released and is rather buggy in Beta!!). This _should_ give us a decent gallery, decent downloads, and a CMS that works.

It should also give us the ability to import mails from the yahoo group, and _possibly_ reply too.

It's gonna cost me, however i can see the benefits 10x...

So, thoughts? I can trial everything beforehand etc....

Paul

I wouldn't mind contributing if it meant the forum kept alive. If the end of the line has been reached with this software and it means we can never improve it, then it makes sense to swap.

Will we be able to commute the current content over? And how much will it cost?

You do a cracking job mate. All for the greater good of the pinball community. I appreciate your contribution.

Paul you have done, and still do a splended job in keeping this forum ticking over and I am sure you know whats best for its future. Looking forward to the out come whatever the best way is. And like many other forums I think there should be a donate button where you can help share the costs. You have spent a fair bit on this so far and I am sure most on here will be more that happy to share the cost of keeping it going for now and well into the future.

D.

replicas' date=' post: 1698275 said:
And like many other forums I think there should be a donate button where you can help share the costs.

What he said.

Lots of members would be happy to help, I'm sure.

Paul, given how much of your time and money you've sunk into the forum I'd be happy to donate something.

Otherwise given how useful the trade/sale section is could you ask for a nominal donation for people to use that bit when they advertise. Seems a bit mean if I stick a 2 grand machine on it and begrudge donating anything for the ad

Dude!! It shouldn't all come outa ya pocket we all use it ( and some abuse it) so a donate button is surely a must
smile-1.png

i'm toying with changing to Vbulletin

Paul, vBulletin looks feature rich but it gets some stick for poor customer support following it's company being bought out in the move from 3.0 to 4.0 (also still pretty buggy even though they've bought out 5.0) Might be worth looking at MyBB and Burning Board as well? Both of these won awards last year in their respective categories.....MyBB best of the Free and Burning Board best of the Paid.

And I agree with everyone else that a donate button is definitely a must
smile-1.png

Have already taken a look about Ron - IPB (Which i happen to have a licence for anyhow) seems to scare people away and is more expensive over time, myBB is good however there isnt really too much plugin support, and BB seems good, however unless you speak German support is limited....

I have over the last few months looked about, since this has been in my mind for a while now....

As much as i dont like vB as a company, but as a software, amongst others (who run much larger boards than me!) a lot of It's early problems have been resolved. Plus the fact of course that unless you go for Vanilla (which is dire), none support the import of mails etc

I ran a Board based on vB3.x and early 4 and it's "acceptable"..... With the possibility to upgrade to vb5 connect (when they get it good enough to actually be viable!) built into the licence if it's any good, at least there's a possible future upgrade path.....

I have admin'd, modded and mod'ed VB over the years, agree that it does a pretty good job.

Any help, support, money or man hugs just let me know. You don't have to suffer alone if you want to go for it.
wink-1.png

How about an optional donate page to your PayPal address? If this place costs you then ask the regulars to pitch in. I'll contribute.

Have already taken a look about Ron

I should have known you'd be all over this mate
biggrin-1.png
Sounds like your research far outweighs mine and your fully aware of the pro and cons with all of them....if your happy with it then it's all good
smile-1.png

yup

If you would like to donate please send any donations to xxxxxx where xxxxxx is your paypal account

Hi Paul,

As I read PinballInfo using Tapatalk, thanks to it being compatible with vBulletin I don't think I would be affected if you were to change back-end, so no worries here mate. Whatever makes your job easier in the long run gets my vote.

Out of interest, do you have any stats on the number of active users of the board, and particularly the software that people are using to access it?

Lastly, please let me know how I can donate - happy to do so considering what this board has given me in the short time that I've been using it.

Rob

RCW' date=' post: 1698343 said:
Hi Paul,

As I read PinballInfo using Tapatalk, thanks to it being compatible with vBulletin I don't think I would be affected if you were to change back-end, so no worries here mate. Whatever makes your job easier in the long run gets my vote.

Out of interest, do you have any stats on the number of active users of the board, and particularly the software that people are using to access it?

Lastly, please let me know how I can donate - happy to do so considering what this board has given me in the short time that I've been using it.

Rob

Forum Statistics

Discussions:

Members:

Latest Member:

alchy

Most Online Users:

Maybe there should be a small anual membership fee from all members? (password based) this could be reduced as membership numbers increase, you need to work out how much you want for maintaining this forum per annum and then divide that by all current members, I am sure it would work out that low that no one would begrudge paying it, just a thought.

Think donate would be best as once you donate it would show under your Avatar that you had.

My experience is that it is best to leave a site free and allow donations, people will often help out with the costs but making it chargeable will slow down new members.

Things such as 'for sales' items could be charged but lets be honest if they are a good price then they are good for the forum.
smile-1.png
Should those areas be further developed as suggested then maybe a minor % could be donated to help cover the increase costs of running pinball-bay.

Ok. Firstly many thanks for offers of support from everyone. That wasnt what the original post was intended for, however to gauge interest in changing software.

Lets be honest - Most people dont like change - as much as most people say they dont mind, it, there's nothing more frustrating when in the supermarket and you cant find something because it's been moved. Why would forum software be any different??

So - I'm toying with donations - only because i have to admit with stuff like this it may help. I am definately leaving the site free with maybe the occasional ad or two - nothing too obtrusive. The reason i have always shyed away from donations is that some people then think they become immune to stuff because they have "donated". Maybe i can build in some special upgrade to a secret forum or something....
wink-1.png

Anyway, the deed is done. Bought, installed, and i'm playing. Need to set up skins and get things working ok before i even think about cutting things across, and since my week is turning out to be a nightmare (my real job is desk based, however i'm all over London and the surroundings in the next few days (Kingston upon thames/Bracknell etc) with the kids at the weekend. I'll have a play now. Most i'm familiar with tho. Give it a couple of weeks, and i may as some of you to come take a look and see what you think.....
wink-1.png

Thanks again for all the support..
smile-1.png

Paul

TYHO' date=' post: 1698412 said:
Bracknell?Father in law and wifey spent afair bit of time there with Oracle

Yup - just down the Road.... Thank goodness it's only for a day - There's nothing there!!!

Paul' date=' post: 1698397 said:
Ok. Firstly many thanks for offers of support from everyone. That wasnt what the original post was intended for, however to gauge interest in changing software.

Lets be honest - Most people dont like change - as much as most people say they dont mind, it, there's nothing more frustrating when in the supermarket and you cant find something because it's been moved. Why would forum software be any different??

So - I'm toying with donations - only because i have to admit with stuff like this it may help. I am definately leaving the site free with maybe the occasional ad or two - nothing too obtrusive. The reason i have always shyed away from donations is that some people then think they become immune to stuff because they have "donated". Maybe i can build in some special upgrade to a secret forum or something....
wink-1.png

Anyway, the deed is done. Bought, installed, and i'm playing. Need to set up skins and get things working ok before i even think about cutting things across, and since my week is turning out to be a nightmare (my real job is desk based, however i'm all over London and the surroundings in the next few days (Kingston upon thames/Bracknell etc) with the kids at the weekend. I'll have a play now. Most i'm familiar with tho. Give it a couple of weeks, and i may as some of you to come take a look and see what you think.....
wink-1.png

Thanks again for all the support..
smile-1.png

Paul

I'd ask a member of staff/admin.. or take a little more time & have a look.

How about a beta/test part.. Where a handful of members can test the new software/site, once they are happy & the new site is rolled out to all those members can be of assistance.

Sneek Preview....

[attachment=1334:front page.png]

Colours all selectable......

Lookin good.
wink-1.png

Sorry better put looking, just in case I get corrected again.

lol - not by me... I tens to use whatever it takes when i'm tired just to get my point across!

Back
Top Bottom