What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cancelling eBay auctions.

Banzaipinabll

Site Supporter
Alias
Mike
What's your thoughts on people listing items ( mainly pinballs ) to showcase and cancel auction as sale done off line.

I understand why due to fees, but I am starting to get a little P****d off as pretty much the last 3 pins I have bid on have ended early.

Yes, we are told advertised else where, eBay fees, now does not work, etc.

Is it just me.........

Nope, not just you. It's always worth a "if you're gonna end it early, please let me know" message to something you're really interested in.

I sold something on eBay recently and the buyer said he would pay cash on collection so never actually completed the 'Buy it now' option, so I ended the sale early. I received an automatic email/warning from eBay as obviously they had missed out on their fees. Not sure how many times you can do it without getting your eBay account suspended.

Last edited:
eBay is now like escape from new York. Anything goes.

I much prefer Gumtree these days.

everyone does it, eBay are scamming us on fees. I must have done about 50+ buys with the auction being ended early. No issue but wouldn't surprise me if eBay started to clamp down on this.

If eBay charged fees that were in any way justifiable and fair this wouldn't happen. It's absolutely disgusting the amount they charge.

Hardley ever buy anything when auction ends. Unless it's free postage I try and collect 90% of my items and do CoC. I prefer it and assume the sellers will also.

Gumtree isn't bad but not the widest variety. Fact that it's owned by eBay means fees will come along sooner than later.

An eBay auction is simply the wrong format for pinball sales nowadays, for so many reasons ....
  • More than most items, to value a pinball machine you need to see it, test it. You simply cannot rely on photos and descriptions unless you know the seller
  • But why would you spend the time going to see a game before the auction ends ?, unless it is in the hope of doing an immediate cash deal.
  • Fees are far too high compared to Gumtree, pinballinfo etc
  • Unlike most ebay items, both sellers AND buyers want pinball machines to be collected, meaning the fee point is uppermost in sellers' minds. eBay was once all about posting items, and strangers transacting
  • The trusted trader, pay using paypal etc all falls down with pinball machines. They are bound to go wrong. Any buyer can claim that they are not as described and try to get a paypal refund
  • If you advertise something like a pinball machine on eBay, you are plagued by bottom fishers, chancers, folk offering you a crossbow/ electric guitar/ used greenhouse etc in exchange for it
  • Buyers do not show/ do not pay/ mess you around as you can no longer leave negative feedback for them
  • eBay is full of shill bidders
Most guys on eBay are just using it as a shop window for a cash deal

Not quite the same but I was trying to do a deal on a junk yard on Facebook.. had quite afew chats with the lady and gave lots of advice on her part faulty machine. Both agreed a rough price subject to viewing she mentioned she had a unfortunate family problem to deal with so best leave it a week or two before viewing and ... now it's sold.... grrr never mind tbh I would love to know what it sold for as my offer was canny fair :( never mind pin money safe for another day

Not quite the same but I was trying to do a deal on a junk yard on Facebook.. had quite afew chats with the lady and gave lots of advice on her part faulty machine. Both agreed a rough price subject to viewing she mentioned she had a unfortunate family problem to deal with so best leave it a week or two before viewing and ... now it's sold.... grrr never mind tbh I would love to know what it sold for as my offer was canny fair :( never mind pin money safe for another day

So you told her how/where to fix it and now it's possibly sold for more or kept? Rule #1 of pinball buying is NEVER fix it until it's in your possesion even if it's a fuse.

I went to view a Turtles & a FT on Ebay near Morpeth a few years back. FT, which I was interested in, advertised as not working. Found the place, middle of nowhere, turned out he supplied props for film & telly. Massive aircraft hanger type place filled to the rafters with gear.

He plugged them in & Turtles lit up, FT dead. I reached under, flicked the switch & hey presto!

My instant thought was "you tw@ Al"

Good nick and all, ufaded cab, good playfield.

I got a message from ebay a few months back when I sold something, but ended the auction early and sold it offline - it basically said they'd let me off that time, but would take further action (they might have even said close the account) if I did it again. So I guess they've written some code to check through private messages now so they can automatically tell when this is happening.

I got a message from ebay a few months back when I sold something, but ended the auction early and sold it offline - it basically said they'd let me off that time, but would take further action (they might have even said close the account) if I did it again. So I guess they've written some code to check through private messages now so they can automatically tell when this is happening.
Correct, I got a warning when I switched phone details with another seller who ended early. Stupid really as some things you have to collect so you need a contact number.

same thing happened to me , got a warning, however I think if you have a buy it now auction , you can end the auction with no hassle as your item has not had any bids ?

same thing happened to me , got a warning, however I think if you have a buy it now auction , you can end the auction with no hassle as your item has not had any bids ?

That is indeed correct. Also, if you have no bids, it is possible to 'convert' the auction to buy it now so that it can be bought by an interested party.
I too have had several warnings - the last one cited individual auctions that I had broken rules on. I don't know how serious they were, but eBay came on pretty strong with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so to avoid the fees, the best thing to do is to put a high price as a buy it now and wait for offers offline:suspect:

so to avoid the fees, the best thing to do is to put a high price as a buy it now and wait for offers offline:suspect:

Maybe that is the reason that pins are overpriced on eBay - no one actually wants to sell them through eBay so overprice them and avoid the sale.
The point was made earlier - it's just a way of advertising the sale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My item was Buy It Now and I got the warning when I ended it early. I exchanged a few messages with the buyer using eBay messages so I think they do automatically check private messages for keywords and phone numbers.

Back
Top Bottom