What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone with a Whitewater help please?

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
A strange request this one, but I need to know approximately how frequently a Whitewater's chase lights in the topper flash on and off.

Soooo, what I would like someone to do is turn on their machine and choose a single bulb in the topper and then time how many times that bulb goes on and off in, say 30 seconds. Or even easier, start a stopwatch and then count the bulb going on and off say 50 times and then stop the stopwatch to produce a figure of something like 50 strobes takes 17 seconds or whatever.

The reason for this strange request is that I am trying to get the waterfall effect working with a PROC card in the machine, but that means setting the strobing frequency manually, and I need an approximate starting point to then hone it through trial and error.

Anyway, any help gratefully received!

About 92 flashes in 30 secs but I have been drinking!
Its easier said than done, somebody else try it🥺

Last edited:
How is the PROC-ing going by the way Paul? Assume that since youre now focusing on topper strobes it means you're finished all the tedious bits like dot matrix animations and mode rewrites? 😃

How is the PROC-ing going by the way Paul? Assume that since youre now focusing on topper strobes it means you're finished all the tedious bits like dot matrix animations and mode rewrites? 😃

It's a steep learning curve and quite time consuming but I am getting the hang of it. I've got the machine flipping with jets, kickback, slings, kickouts etc, and I have the whitewater multiball working. I'm learning by reproducing the existing rules on the PROC before deviating from them. But I keep hitting brick walls: all the conditions are met for a light to go on or a ball lock to grab a ball - and yet it doesn't. Takes three days of experimenting to get it working, and then on to the next brick wall! But it's all good learning so it's getting marginally easier each time. The Mission Pinball Framework is brilliant but the documentation has a few mistakes in it (or perhaps hasn't been updated in some places from older versions) so things just don't always work first time.

What I am going to do about dot matrix animations I have no idea - I think you can pinch the existing ones using pinball browser but there's still a loooong way to go.

It was just annoying me that I can control the lights and the GI, but the chase lights are more tricky to get just right. And given I paid a fortune for the topper a few years back I figured I should get it working asap. @M4carp 's timings seem to work though so its almost working perfectly now!

Last edited:
It's a steep learning curve and quite time consuming but I am getting the hang of it. I've got the machine flipping with jets, kickback, slings, kickouts etc, and I have the whitewater multiball working. I'm learning by reproducing the existing rules on the PROC before deviating from them. But I keep hitting brick walls: all the conditions are met for a light to go on or a ball lock to grab a ball - and yet it doesn't. Takes three days of experimenting to get it working, and then on to the next brick wall!

Stick with it and you will make progress. Its not a quick process though rewriting games and you need endless patience, especially when you get to the point of showing your work in public ;)

Also, i cant stress enough that you need to test your code on real playfields with real games. No amount of finger activation or simulation is going to work properly. Then theres the dmd and graphics side. A whole another bag and almost another project in itself.

Really looking forward to playing this one day though 👍

Regarding the whitewater lamps, from my work on the hardware update, the pattern sent from original hardware during game play is 2 on then 1 off. This is serially shifted down the chain. In test modes (which i hope you will be recreating to) the 2 patterns are: 1 on then 16 off shifted down, then 16 on shifted down

Back
Top Bottom