What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabinet stencils

Wizcat

Registered
Alias
Paul G
Anyone done this? Have any tips? Appears I have much to learn...

My thinking was: apply Frisket to the cabinet, cut out the stencils required. Then go to town on the cabinet (sand down/repair/primer/base coat). Re-apply each stencil and spray. Job done.

But this Frisket film is SUPER super 'low tack'. Suspecting it also reacts badly to spray paint, as it seemed to bubble and lift up? Fair chance that I've just gone at it too heavy handed though.

Advice very very welcome!

This was my quick effort on some scrap wood:

Cutting stencil from original cabinet (name the game, win a prize*)
01-black.jpg

Applying stencil to scrap wood. Second application of stencil has barely any tack to it, so I laid it flat. (Tackiness possibly also not helped by dropping stencil onto garage floor)
03-ready.jpg

Light spray stuck to the Frisket like magic, but barely touched the wood. So I possibly was a little over zealous in spraying!?
04-sprayed.jpg

Super fail!
05-****e.jpg

(*There is no prize)

Haha, yeah. This was not how I envisaged it in my head!

Tomorrow I'll try cutting the Frisket without sticking it down (probably copy from original cabinet via tracing paper, then paper to Frisket). Will also try just a super light coat of paint

Expecting more disappointment, but I'll give this Frisket another chance.

How have you prepped the cab? If the paint is reacting you may need to rub down and Sugar soap it to get any oil or grease and dirt off of original paint work

At the moment Dave I'm just using a scrap piece of ply to test spraying onto. That might be half of the issue, as I haven't prepped the wood at all. I was expecting it to be bad (not least because I was impatiently rushing), just not this bad!

Ahh i see, we'll the dirt n stuff could be a prob on that wood ,make sure the stencil is tight to the wood the n spray lightly from further away but leave stencil in place a while for paint to dry then remove

I've gone through this process twice on flash Gordon's, and made the stencils twice from scratch. I used tracing paper to copy each colour pattern, transferred to card, cut out stencil. Sprayed back of card with 3m spray mount.

Card is the winning answer :)

06-win.jpg

Will do a bit more playing around to make sure I've got this technique down before sanding down!

Patience (I had none yesterday) and sharp scalpels. Also did three light coats (rather than one huge blast) when spraying. That likely helped too

I'll probably start a thread for the FG restoration and go into detail once I'm more confident things are going well!

Patience (I had none yesterday) and sharp scalpels. Also did three light coats (rather than one huge blast) when spraying. That likely helped too

I'll probably start a thread for the FG restoration and go into detail once I'm more confident things are going well!

Paul, Splash out on a proper set of stencils for your machine, it will make the job so much easier.
If you still want to be a tight **** then try applying the paint with a small roller rather than a spray can, this should help you acheive a better finish.

Back
Top Bottom