What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying pinball bits from the EU now?

Julian

Site Supporter
I am after some Titan rubbers, also going to add some balls was planning on using pinballshop.nl but they are charging Dutch VAT!
No doubt when I get the package the bloody Royal Mail will charge handling import duty and UK VAT !

My flipper & sling rubbers and 6 balls come to 36.18 euros, then 19.19 euros shipping and 20% VAT 11.06 euros so my purchase is now upto 66.43 euros!
Then I guess UK will add VAT! So totally not worth it.

Next I am looking to purchase a Medieval Madness remake solenoid driver board from Ministry of Pinball (in euros) its 89.21 + shipping of 9.80 + Tax 14.87 so total of 99.01

I have not yet ordered either of the above.

Does anyone know how ordering from the EU now works? i.e. we don't have to pay EU tax when we order and then UK tax when it arrives!

This is what pinballshop.nl said in a reply to an email I sent;
'Thank you for your email.
If you order below value of €155,- (VAT included), the VAT is charged on our webshop (so you don’t have to pay on import).
If you order over a value of €155,- (without VAT), you don’t have to pay VAT on our webshop and you have to pay on import (to UPS)'.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

It should be as they describe. You should only pay VAT once, and it should be UK VAT.

If the order is below £135, they collect the VAT on behalf of UK.gov.
For orders above, you pay it when it lands in the UK.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

It should be as they describe. You should only pay VAT once, and it should be UK VAT.

If the order is below £135, they collect the VAT on behalf of UK.gov.
For orders above, you pay it when it lands in the UK.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
The problem is that it’s probably going to be a massive pain for the eu person to change the website for a few uk orders I suspect you will end up paying vat at both ends if it over £135

It’s all a bit messed up..

I think the £135 is import.. but I heard that on things on we £39 is VAT..

There are different percentages for different items.. the example given on Gov. website was umbrellas are in a 4.5% tax bracket..

Confused...

I’ve just ordered a couple of hundred quids worth from best of pinball. I’ll let you know how it goes

So 'Misery' of Pinball in the Netherlands were helpful, their reply;

Customers from the UK pay the UK VAT of 20% on our site unless they have a UK VAT number.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards, Sincères salutations, Herzliche Grüße,

Sales Team Ministry of Pinball

Ministry of Pinball Import B.V. / Ministry of Pinball Online Sales B.V.
Aalscholveroever 8
2492 TG Den Haag
The Netherlands

So does this mean we pay VAT twice? At checkout and at import?

We just had a order from ministry of Pinball arrive this morning. (Order value 848 euro). Delivered by the post office with no additional charges at all.
We are expecting a similar size order from pinball center Germany Wednesday from UPS. will update this thread with what happens with that one.
K.

Hi,

No should just be the once.

This is why some overseas retailers are not happy and not serving the UK, because they have to register with UK.Gov and collect taxes on their behalf.

So long as the paperwork is filled out correctly, you should only pay once.

By co-incidence, I have a package from Ministry of Pinball arriving today. So far, I've not heard anything about paying anything extra, and I've had a text saying it will be delivered today - no outstanding fees mentioned.

I'll let you know what happens when it arrives.

Wayne.

We just had a order from ministry of Pinball arrive this morning. (Order value 848 euro). Delivered by the post office with no additional charges at all.
We are expecting a similar size order from pinball center Germany Wednesday from UPS. will update this thread with what happens with that one.
K.
Same for me, no extra costs.

Same problem for me Keith - UPS as well, even though I have also paid VAT on the original order, did you, or have they now started not charging vat at piball centre for uk customers?

I have a ups order coming from pinball Center tomorrow let’s see what happens one bonus about being vat registered is that if I do get charged I can claim it back

And I got my order from Pinball Center today from UPS with no additional charges.

Not sure if the Value of the goods means anything. Mine was for 180 Euros with delivery, so probably below the £139 mentioned on gov.uk (exc delivery). Your orders look like they're quite a bit larger.

I thought orders over £139 shouldn't be charged VAT in the exporting country, but rather collected in the UK?

Under the limit, charged in country with repatriation by the seller.

Over the limit, charged here.

Issues will arise if:

- Seller charging and not repatriating - what happens then?
- Seller charging, UK charging - as we have seen happen. Don't forget this compounds over the initial charge, so a 20% charge on a 20% charge is a 44% true uplift.

Under the limit, charged in country with repatriation by the seller.

Over the limit, charged here.

Issues will arise if:

- Seller charging and not repatriating - what happens then?
- Seller charging, UK charging - as we have seen happen. Don't forget this compounds over the initial charge, so a 20% charge on a 20% charge is a 44% true uplift.
Totally agree but I am sure in months to come this will sort itself out

My best of pinball order arrived today.
€190 total including postage. No fees.
On closer inspection it looks as though they declared the value as €19.17
So that’s a result

I'm in Ireland so I used pinballcentre to get a few bits for my JD this week

Very disappointed with them. I wouldn't recommend. I was pretty dissatisfied with the product and customer service. Emailed in to say I was disappointed with the LED kit I received. Basically got a tough **** reply.

if pinball centre don't give you the money back on the vat I'd do a chargeback. But then again I'd rather put an upper decker in my backbox than put any of their **** in my games.

Neil.

I registered with Pinballcenter as a new customer. Placed order and VAT was not added but the shipping cost was 35 Euro on a small parcel. Total value 167 Euro including shipping by UPS.
Took just over a week to arrive but no additional charges!
Ordered some target decals and they were unusable! They supplied sticky pads with a cutout for the rivets and the actual decals had square corners not rounded to match the pads and targets. I think most of us know that some of their stuff is crap! The other stuff I got was fine.

Yeah some stuff was fine. I got drop taget decals that were grand.

I run a brick and mortar and a online shop. I'd never dream of treating any customer like they do. Let alone a customer leaving €130 in the shop.

I paid with card instead of PayPal so can't really do much about it now except annoy them

Oh and just incase anyone wondering. They rubber kits do not have flipper rubbers in there.

Is there a sticky thread of online retailers?

I was really impressed with my best of pinball order. Hadn’t used them for a few years but they had some handy Rocky spares. They weren’t too expensive and they posted them quickly. The rubber ring kit is a silicone white ring set with flipper rubbers and shooter tip. Seem like good quality.

I emailed pinball centre again saying I think they should change the name of their "playfield kit" to "playfield inserts kits" just to avoid any future confusion, here's what I got back

"no set have GI
if you not download plan infront are your mistake not our"

Back
Top Bottom