What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt J121 connector on ST:TNG

phpchap

Registered
Hi All,

I'm in the process of LEDifying my ST:TNG and noticed a burnt molex J121 connector, well I noticed some GI bulbs not working!

Can someone point me in the right direction for a replacement and whether it needs to be soldered.

This is my first major repair so I'm pretty nervous..

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160906_cca4137c52b892704db9105ebb3d5a77.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy- what exactly do I need to order?

I've also removed the playfield post on the RHS as you suggested, makes a huge difference [emoji41]

Sweet thanks- I'm assuming the IDC connector requires no soldering, I've never soldered anything before..

Sweet thanks- I'm assuming the IDC connector requires no soldering, I've never soldered anything before..

If the header pins are burned on the board then ideally they should be replaced, requiring soldering. You *might* get away without doing them if they haven't suffered too much. Can't tell from yr pic though they look a little heat damaged.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160906_126e2034bedcda9f4d204ecd3f07efef.jpg

This is what J120! looks like

Oh. That needs replacing then.

You might want to have a practice solder/desolder first on some scrap stuff. Or get a local experienced pinhead to show you the ropes? It's not rocket science but as with anything new it is easy to make a pigs ear of it.

Reactions: JT.
Thanks for the advice, I can see myself/Star Trek in flames if I go near a soldering iron.

I'll have a look for someone local to south west London

You can cheat. The connector above is in parallel with the burnt one. If you swap them over you'll see that the burnt pins have no connections on the other connector. Put the new connector on and plug it onto the upper pins.

Back
Top Bottom