What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burn ‘changed’ ROMs for Elvis

Andy B

Site Supporter
Straight to the point. Back story below:

Is it possible, and if it is, does anyone know how to, burn ROMs which have alternative sound ‘packages’ i.e. where the sounds from the original game have been changed using the PinSound Studio Pro software package?

I bought a Pinsound Plus board for my Elvis.

I only bought it so that I could change the in game music.

I’ve done that and created a great alternative sound package.

But...the Volume of the playback is erratic sometimes fine and then really loud bursts.

I know these Pinsound boards are really 12v greedy because when I fitted one in a DESW at the same time as I had a colour DMD I had all sorts of issues with sound going choppy or display cutting out or both. So I’m convinced these problems are as a result of inconsistent 12v supply.

So to try and solve the issue in my Elvis I have disconnected 12v LED speaker lights AND shaker motor to give the Pinsound board exclusivity to 12v but to no avail. Sound is still too quiet, then fine, then loud
for no apparent reason.

I’m convinced that it’s a 12v problem since as I had similar problems caused by 12v usage by the Pinsound Plus in my DESW before.

Since as I only bought the board do I could put alternative music in the game I’m thinking if it is possible to burn the tinkered with sound package to a ROM I could get rid of the board!

I think the answer to this must be “no“ as sounds the game is going to play itself must be in a format that the BSMT chip knows what to do with, and presumably placed in specific places in the sound roms, neither of which things Pinsound would know anything about.

There is the caveat I don’t really know what I’m talking about though, so perhaps someone more knowledgable might have a different answer! :p

In terms of the 12v, are you sure you haven’t got a dodgy board or sound package? Is erratic volume a common Pinsound problem?

I had a think about it after I’d posted last night and also came to the conclusion that it couldn’t be done but I’m thinking it’s a no because of the file sizes. The sound packages are big and are stored on a memory stick so doubt you could get them on a rom chip.

Have resigned myself to the fact I’m going to have to just put up with the erratic volume.

The sound package I created plays fine through the Pinsound Studio application so it’s definitely something to do with the board and, like I say, had problems with 12v supply when I had one in another machine so think it’s a common flaw with these boards (also confirmed by others on here).

I’ve read people have this problem in lotr with pinsound. Is there some kind of volume setting for effects or something in the menu?

Did I read somewhere that these pinsound plus boards were worse than the original?

Also is the firmware up to date?

Just that I think there is something like that on my lotr in the settings, not put pinsound in it yet but would like to at some stage.

I would approach with extreme caution installation of a Pinsound Board. They sound absolutely fantastic when they work properly but the two experiences I’ve had with them have led to additional issues/problems.

Maybe others have had better experiences?

I’ve got 4 pins with them (WPC) with no issues whatsoever and sound great, big improvement for me. Never had a problem.
I have noticed however you have to adjust the tone controls more carefully on the plus boards to get it to sound right but once you hit the sweet spot it’s ok.

I installed an ATX power supply unit I had lying around. Worked a treat. No more intermittent volume problems so probably was a similar 12v problem to the one I was having when I had one in my DESW. Others have mentioned no problems with PinSound boards in WPC games so I wonder if it's something about the power supply in Data Easts and Sterns not being up to the job.

Back
Top Bottom