What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulbs to leds?

Sounduser

Registered
Is it worth changing play field bulbs to leds?
And where is a good place to get them from?

Cheers

Very polarising subject. I say definetly, others here say no. You best decide that for yourself.

Places to buy them:

@PinballDaze
1stoppinball
Pinball-led
Pinball heaven
Comet pinball

Yes Kev's right there is a lot of love and hate out there for leds. I say yes too, had leds been available at the time of manufacture, they would have been in there anyway (and a colour DMD / LCD!). But I know that a lot of collectors want to keep the machines in their original state, horses for courses really.

There's also the advantage of a much lower current draw, no more burnt GI connectors and brittle plastics from excessive heat.

General illumination. The hard working lights around the game. Their connectors can get hot over long hours of use. Leds won't do that.

I think there's a time and place for leds, futuristic themes or modern games seem to suit the brighter sharper colours but then I have a fish tales that looks sexy too with leds so there is no hards rules it's all down to taste, maybe buy a few different ones and try them out before kitting out a whole game...

Does lethal weapon need the none ghosting ones? If so it would be quite expensive. Yeah. I might order a hand full and experiment.

Are you going to the Play expo/nlp? You will see a good mixture of both there, fully LED'd, normal lamps etc.

Are you going to the Play expo/nlp? You will see a good mixture of both there, fully LED'd, normal lamps etc.
Good call, also speak to the owners and get their perspective of LEDs ans look at how different ones look in person. My WPT has 4 SMD non ghosting LEDs from Comet, I rate them very highly :)

Personally I have had good experiences with the premium 2 LEDs from Dave at pinball-led.co.uk. Other people will no doubt have other ones they rate.

As mentioned very polarising subject! Generally, and I mean very generally, the older the game the less likely LEDs look appropriate. They seem almost universally wrong on EMs whereas a late DMD-era game can look so much better with them. Also very theme and colour dependent. Futuristic themes often work well. And finally it's personal taste. You do what the **** you like to your pins! If you think cool white super bright LEDs look great in your Bally NIP-IT then you go for it! ;)

Just to show I'm just as much on the fence as being on both sides I will never put LEDs in my PARAGON but I'm quite likely to do a full LED conversion on VECTOR. And for GOLD BALL I'm thinking I'll just do the playfield inserts but keep GI and back box incandescent.

Back
Top Bottom