What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a cabinet from scratch

ChrisH

Site Supporter
Alias
CHR
I'm about to build another VPin, but a full size one this time.
Easiest route is of course to just get an empty cab, however I can't as a constructed cabinet body won't fit up the stairs (I found this out a couple of years ago the hard way - hence why @domlouis ended up with the RFM I owned for about 10 days :( )
So I'm going to cut the bits for one and then construct it in its final location flat-pack style.

I've got a 90s WMS backbox, so it's just the main cabinet I'm doing from scratch.
Mate of mine who is a fantastic carpenter has agreed do the hard work for me, but what do I need to build one beyond the obvious sheets of wood?

I've got the following on the shopping list:
Leg plates
Lockdown bar and receiver
Hinges for the backbox
Rear channel for the glass
Side rails
Coin door

Do the side rails work as the channels for the glass along the sides or is there an additional part required?
Anything I've missed hardware wise?

I'm about to build another VPin, but a full size one this time.
Easiest route is of course to just get an empty cab, however I can't as a constructed cabinet body won't fit up the stairs (I found this out a couple of years ago the hard way - hence why @domlouis ended up with the RFM I owned for about 10 days :( )
So I'm going to cut the bits for one and then construct it in its final location flat-pack style.

I've got a 90s WMS backbox, so it's just the main cabinet I'm doing from scratch.
Mate of mine who is a fantastic carpenter has agreed do the hard work for me, but what do I need to build one beyond the obvious sheets of wood?

I've got the following on the shopping list:
Leg plates
Lockdown bar and receiver
Hinges for the backbox
Rear channel for the glass
Side rails
Coin door

Do the side rails work as the channels for the glass along the sides or is there an additional part required?
Anything I've missed hardware wise?

There is a plastic channel either side under the side rails

It maybe worth considering making your backbox too as you can tailor it to fit a 16/9 monitor a lot nicer. Unless of course you want to specifically fold down your backbox for transit you can forgo the hinges too. Just a thought. I’m making a little YouTube vid of mine this week for a potential buyer I’ll send you link of how I made a simple cab that is built around the main monitor so you don’t have that weird looking gap top or bottom due to the aspect of a real cab being different to a 16/9 monitor. It looks far nicer in the flesh
This is 3 pics of different style of table

Roadshow - a widebody
Attack from Mars - standard
Safecracker - compact

They fit perfect in the cab and look stunning on my 4k monitor with no jaggies or pixelation whatsoever.
Best of all the flippers on a 40in screen are life size to the mm and not overly large or small which happens if you go either way on monitor size.

My advice get real lockbar, 40in monitor and real siderails to hold glass they just need cutting down a little. I used some tin snips

Hope this helps Col

Attachments

• FB730173-5940-4084-BC18-D23D8DFA1586.jpeg
    FB730173-5940-4084-BC18-D23D8DFA1586.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 8
  • E05ABED6-8717-4F74-8F78-CC0AEF774070.jpeg
    E05ABED6-8717-4F74-8F78-CC0AEF774070.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 200FB800-D69A-41BB-9FAD-04DDECFB52C8.jpeg
    200FB800-D69A-41BB-9FAD-04DDECFB52C8.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
Back