What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boiler Problems

Andypc

Site Supporter
Looks my current Boiler has just given up for good. Any recommendations for a new boiler also any to avoid? Think it is going to have to be a Combi.

First try and get a solid reason why the boiler you had failed. There is no point replacing like for like if the same issue is going to wreck the new one.

If any of the PCBs have failed and replacements are not available from your supplier there are normally people out there who can repair / replace them. Don't let any of the big energy guys force you into a replacement boiler because of that.

Aluminium heat exchangers are a con, try and get stainless if you can. The saving from the aluminium exchangers to the client is zero, it just looks good on your providers books and it's a guaranteed new boiler sooner rather then later.

Get your system flushed by a pro. Your whole water and heating system uses multiple metal types for convenience of fitting and cosmetics. Cast iron heater, aluminium heat exchange, brass fittings, copper pipe, steel radiators. Knock on effect it that all the metals react with eachother through the water and corrode creating crud on top of what's already released from the water when heated.

Said crud puts excess strain on your pumps in the boiler, external, in the shower and that can cause cavitation and a pump to fail. Pumps in boilers can generally be replaced as well.

I can't recommend a boiler on the open market as they all fell short of expectations. Currently using a Atag.

Thanks for all the advice. Can't complain about my old boiler as it's lasted over 35 years, but it's got to the stage where it's just not burning right.

I see a couple of people have recommended Worcester Bosch, but have read that they still use an aluminium heat exchanger. My plumber has recommended an Ideal Combi. My old boiler was an Ideal Concord.

Andy go with your plumber, I too have an ideal as it was free and put in for free for me although I also have two plumbers in my house.
Most boilers these days are very reliable, Worcester Bosch is very good and very expensive, I am told by my plumbers never to have your system flushed, as it will expose the problems the sludge has made I.e pin holes.

These are not my thoughts as I am not a plumber just the thoughts of plumbing contractors who between them install thousands every year not 6 - 10 , interestingly to me anyway none of them install Worcester Bosch in their own homes not because they dislike them , just that they think they are too expensive but very good at advertising, go figure.

Mainly Ideal, they think they are very reliable in new build.
To clarify they are forced by the deals the developers make or housing associations to install certain boilers from the large array of manufacturers so Worcester, vaillant , glow worm, ideal, baxi, etc
They tell me that they have very few comebacks with ideal, and to them that boiler will be up to half the price of a Worcester.
So for non specified work they will put ideals in.
My ideal has been running for 9 years no problems so far, hope that helps,

They do not see boilers as being a problem area, now taps or Chinese brass wear , that gets them very hyper :)

We have a great big washing machine sized under counter Worcester Bosch. It's a very decent boiler most of the time....but you can guarantee the pilot light blows out if its windy outside. Quite a few hundred quid spent on maintenance the last couple of years. I don't know that I'd recommend one but there's no better alternative.

I think you pays your money and takes your chances with ANY make when it comes to boilers. Had good ones, had bad ones. Had Baxi previously - always seems to be playing up with one thing or another. It made pinball machines look reliable 🤣

Currently have an Alpha - had 8 year warranty which I think has just expired now. Had zero issues so no complaints.

Are they prone to failure?
Prone? went wrong 15 times in 8 years. When the guy came out to it he discovered they had reused some boards they had recalled previously. I know others who have had lots of issues too. Most unreliable piece of crap it has ever been my misfortune to use.

After having to repair virtually every part of the plumbing system in this new-build flat since I moved in, I'm sure I could echo those aforementioned grumblings about taps.

Also ****ty repair works.

Back
Top Bottom