What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Testing - Good Board in Unworking Machine or Bad Board in Working Machine?

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
I have two projects at the moment where I think there is a board problem. Normal troubleshooting for me would be to eliminate all the bits you can test are good to focus in on the bits that are bad.
The quickest way would be to take the board out of one machine and test it in another.

Do I:
  1. Take the know working board and put it into the unworking machine.
    1. Could this damage the working board?
  2. Take the suspect board and put into the working machine
    1. Could this cause damage to the working machine?
If I just bought a replacement board, I would just put it in but what is the right approach?
Let's take BSD which is a wpc89 machine that runs pretty much the same boards as my CFTBL.

No 1 but get the unknown machine in to as good a state as possible to try and reduce possible damage to a working board. Eg. check psu voltages and coil resistance. Replace any blown coils and associated drove transistors first. You could leave solenoid connectors disconnected from the driver board to prevent anything locking on.

Last edited:
I followed the advice and have go to a game start position by swapping in CPU and Display boards. The power driver board is also playing up as you predicted so I will get that out and see where it is having issues but I feel there is progress here.

Back
Top Bottom