What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big leg protectors to cover damage?

lukewells

Registered
I have a couple of cabs where the art damage is pretty significant around the legs.

I tried the standard type of protectors available from the likes of Andy N, but they are no where near covering the damage (as I assume they are more for preventing damage)

Does anyone know where I can (if they exist) get bigger leg protectors specifically for covering damage?

Many thanks

Luke

I don't think what you are after exists mate, all the leg protectors that seem to be available are that standard size that just comes around the edge of the legs. I assume to protect the legs but not actually hide much of the artwork (which is what you want to do).

I know the majority of these are plastic but are there not also ones made of a felt material? It might be worth fashioning your own custom ones out of a similar stuff. Only issue then is getting the material to adhere to the cabinet which might be a pain.

How bad is the damage, and how much bigger do you actually need the protectors to be? It might be you can find something similar that you could rig into leg protectors (although I'm not sure what).

Last edited:
I don't think what you are after exists mate, all the leg protectors that seem to be available are that standard size that just comes around the edge of the legs. I assume to protect the legs but not actually hide much of the artwork (which is what you want to do).

I know the majority of these are plastic but are there not also ones made of a felt material? It might be worth fashioning your own custom ones out of a similar stuff. Only issue then is getting the material to adhere to the cabinet which might be a pain.

How bad is the damage, and how much bigger do you actually need the protectors to be? It might be you can find something similar that you could rig into leg protectors (although I'm not sure what).

The damage in both cases is about half an inch around what a normal protector would cover

How about redecaling the cabinet, sounds like that's the only way you're going to cover that.

If all else fails..... try this.
Take a visit to your local sign-makers shop and ask if you can buy a small selection of some colour adhesive vinyl from his OFFCUTS BIN.)
Best take some samples of your damaged decal with you.Hopefully there will be vinyl to suit the size and colour that matches your peeling/damaged areas of your cabinet decal.
Make a wavy-line pattern template on card to a shape that matches the size of the damaged decal on your cabinet. Mark this shape out on your cabinet then using a scalpel cut n remove all damaged decal in area of each leg in turn. Prep and clean back to wood ready for new vinyl.
Using a reverse card template technique, mark and cut-out shape on your new vinyl piece and offer it into position.
When your happy with your "wavy" join, apply new vinyl just as you would a decal.
By your fourth leg you will have the skill....... so do the back legs first :thumbs:

I'm not really an arts and crafts person

It would probably look neater if I folded an A4 piece of paper over the corners of the cab than tried the above :rofl:

I'm like you Luke not arty farty but if it is only temporary/cosmetic how about going to one of the shops that sells card in loads of different colours ? Pick one or two that are suitable, fold it round the corners and just shape it half an inch larger than your leg protectors?

Alternatively would insulating tape do the job?

You might not be crafty but I'm sure you could handle a pair of scissors and some felt? Plenty of options in terms of colour, thickness and composition (pure wool, wool blend or synthetic) over on eBay. Just draw 1/2" around your existing protectors?

Bag on head should sort all issues with ropey looking vinyl and worn playfields apparently

I have similar damage on my Gold Ball cabinet which was caused by swapping the older flat style legs for the newer ribbed style as they are thinner at the top leaving approx 1/2" scuffing all around the top of the leg.

Well that's for one day in the future, as they are keepers, but for now, was hoping to just be able to mask the nastyness :)

If all you want is a thick black line like a larger leg protector shape then a simple wood fill (if needed), satin black paint edged with frog tape for a neat finish.....?

Looks like I may be earning more credits soon. ;)

Back
Top Bottom