What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Guns - Williams System 11 - random lock ups

Thanks @Ruaraidh Yep I need a #A-10821 by the looks of it as in your picture, just did an order on Monday from Marco too :rolleyes:. Do you have one could buy of you by any chance with the screws or do you know the screw type ?

Thanks @Ruaraidh Yep I need a #A-10821 by the looks of it as in your picture, just did an order on Monday from Marco too :rolleyes:. Do you have one could buy of you by any chance with the screws or do you know the screw type ?

I might have one Phil though not sure if it was WMS or Data East - will have a look later today.

I might have one Phil though not sure if it was WMS or Data East - will have a look later today.
Also, I see in a previous post in the thread I note that I replaced all flipper coil diodes. I can’t believe I would have missed that end stop being missing - even my eyesight is not that bad!

That's the spring end (the bit that is on there) for the stop end, you need one like this:

View attachment 238911
I was right, I do have an end stop in my toolbox Phil. I think it’s Stern as there’s a brand new Stern coil in the box with it (Lord knows where I picked them up from!) but looks like the one in the earlier photo.

I’ll stick it in the post for you today.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
That would be great @Andy B, Thank You. I looked over the underside of the playfield a few times and missed it, was only when I heard the coil sleeve fall out I noticed :D

Does anyone know or had experience of the System 11 6802/08 CPUs crashing after the machine has been on for a while or maybe the Ram chips. I would of thought Ram failure would be more possible.

I can`t get my head around that sometimes the displays garble then clear on the next game as though the data in the Ram is being corrupted then cleared for a new game if this is how it works, the NVram does lose the settings sometimes.

The CPUs came from the old acid damaged board of course.

I am trying to carry on from @Andy B but im find I am going over what has already been checked.

I have my High Speed but I not keen on putting the Rotten Dog in there to test :)

The only option I can see is to get a MPU from @dumbass on Pinside he sells new built replacements but they are $600 :oops:

Last edited:
Does anyone know or had experience of the System 11 6802/08 CPUs crashing after the machine has been on for a while or maybe the Ram chips. I would of thought Ram failure would be more possible.

I can`t get my head around that sometimes the displays garble then clear on the next game as though the data in the Ram is being corrupted then cleared for a new game if this is how it works, the NVram does lose the settings sometimes.

The CPUs came from the old acid damaged board of course.

I am trying to carry on from @Andy B but im find I am going over what has already been checked.

I have my High Speed but I not keen on putting the Rotten Dog in there to test :)

The only option I can see it to get a MPU from @dumbass on Pinside he sells new new built replacements but they are $600 :oops:
His boards are top notch though... Just get a board, order the parts and build it yourself :)

My thoughts are that this is a faulty rottendog mpu board. only way you will know if by swapping it out for a different mpu.

His boards are top notch though... Just get a board, order the parts and build it yourself :)

Yep I think I might go along with that and order 1 in the meantime, the board is $100 I'm not afraid of building it as long as the parts are obtainable in the UK easily enough. I'm thinking I could try some different CPUs and NVRAM in the RD as I could use the NVRam at least on one of my other pins.

The CPUs look cheap enough

Yep @Andy B had already fitted it along with a RD PSU. I believe the only items you add is the ROMS & The CPUs.
I didnt swap any chips over from old board in to new one Phil. Paid extra for the board with new processor and roms included.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.png
    IMG_1556.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks @Andy B that saves me messing with those :). Did you ever ask the Pinball Palace for any help/info though its not like a normal purchase of course where you would expect support.

w8 and w9 is a head scratcher seems to be to select system 9 or 11 but every board I have seen images has 2 resistors with 1 to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks @Andy B that saves me messing with those :). Did you ever ask the Pinball Palace for any help/info though its not like a normal purchase of course where you would expect support.

w8 and w9 is a head scratcher seems to be to select system 9 or 11 but every board I have seen images has 2 resistors with 1 to remove.
No, I didn’t contact Sean other than to return the Banzai Run roms he had installed in the board by mistake when I got it 😊

Back
Top Bottom