What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Stern Big Buck Hunter

JAG555

Site Supporter
Hello!

I thought I would do a post to track my progress (and hopefully make me accountable / kick up ass) for a mini shop log of my Big Buck Hunter.

I bought this Big Buck Hunter from here back in January 2018. I had Never played it before, but I love the video game series. Anyway, I loved the pinball and really enjoyed playing it. However, like most of us, I was changing games very frequently and so (stupidly) sold it to fund other games. However, I missed it almost before Martin had pulled off the drive!

Fast forward 3 years and, thanks to @Big Phil for selling it back to me, I have her back in the collection.

Given this will be a long term keeper, I have decided to strip it down and give this an overhaul (it didn’t need it, but thought whilst I didn’t have the room in the Games Room, it made sense).

Anyway, so that is where I am up to. It is in the garage with the playfield almost stripped down and the metal work at the powdercoaters.

The plan is as follows:
- All new plastics (a couple were broken)
- All new decals
- Powdercoated metal work (except coin door) in dark green (thanks to @MajesticPinball for lending me some Pinball legs)
- Green anodised nuts from @stumblor
- ColourDMD (along with the filter screen from @Colywobbles )
- New Pinballs
- New flippers and coils
- Comet LEDs
- Titian green rubbers

I think that is about it. I will keep updating this, if anyone is interested.

Cheers!
D83D0FEF-5B7D-45AF-8DA0-CF62CD82F218.jpeg3E744D15-E283-4255-8ACE-302BF626B788.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, not much progress, but managed to get this almost fully stripped down. Couldn’t believe now dirty it is at the rear of the playfield, so very happy I did the full strip down.

Found a bit of raised Mylar by the pops, so planning on just cutting that off. I wasn’t going to replace it, unless anyone thinks otherwise - Happy to hear opinions.

Thanks to @Dave Playman for soldering my new coils on.

Next job is a deep clean and then the LEDs should be here soon.

C091C74E-BDBF-426D-BF23-2A20A8DA5A55.jpeg8B28D219-31B4-4D45-95D8-851D6C9786AF.jpeg7BB9EB2E-1193-41FD-B55F-DB01DA276A04.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, not much progress, but managed to get this almost fully stripped down. Couldn’t believe now dirty it is at the rear of the playfield, so very happy I did the full strip down.

Found a bit of raised Mylar by the flippers, so planning on just cutting that off. I wasn’t going to replace it, unless anyone thinks otherwise - Happy to hear opinions.

Thanks to @Dave Playman for soldering my new coils on.

Next job is a deep clean and then the LEDs should be here soon.

View attachment 147984View attachment 147985View attachment 147986
No problem at all mate. Look forward to seeing it finished 😎👍🏼

replace the Mylar mate.

Take a pic of location and orientation before you do anything.

I have used cold method on a load of machines with no issues, so far. When i say cold i mean a can of freeze spray or some such and a plastic Stanley knife blade, comes up a treat as long as you only work the area you have treated. If you rush it it will still be really sticky, if it is then stop, spray and try again. When it is up apply some Isopropyl alcohol to the sticky side and get rid of the gum. Then make sure the playfield is uber clean, again more alcohol and magic eraser on the area to lift any residue up - don't press too hard. Then use your lifted Mylar as a template, take a permanent sharpry thin nibbed pen and mark around it on the new Mylar. Cut it out then wipe of the pen with more alcohol then apply.

replace the Mylar mate.

Take a pic of location and orientation before you do anything.

I have used cold method on a load of machines with no issues, so far. When i say cold i mean a can of freeze spray or some such and a plastic Stanley knife blade, comes up a treat as long as you only work the area you have treated. If you rush it it will still be really sticky, if it is then stop, spray and try again. When it is up apply some Isopropyl alcohol to the sticky side and get rid of the gum. Then make sure the playfield is uber clean, again more alcohol and magic eraser on the area to lift any residue up - don't press too hard. Then use your lifted Mylar as a template, take a permanent sharpry thin nibbed pen and mark around it on the new Mylar. Cut it out then wipe of the pen with more alcohol then apply.
Thanks for the detailed reply and I think you have just added to my restoration 😂

But since I have come this far, it’s probably worth it!

OK, a little more progress, not as much as I would have liked, but getting there!

Flipper coils and mechanisms rebuilt. I was surprised how dirty the old ones were.

Gave the playfield it’s first full clean with foam and that brought a lot of dirt off.

Update on the Mylar, I have decided to cut the loose bit off and leave the rest. It doesn’t look that bad and it is also over four inserts and that worries me. Given I have not done it before, I don’t want to take the risk. Appreciate the help given on this though.

Next up is:
- Collect Powdercoating
- Fit Comets (which are coming next week)
- Removal the loose Mylar, clean the playfield again and wax
- Start to rebuild the playfield

If anyone is still reading this, I will update when I have more progress 😀

FDA7981B-9D01-42FB-801E-9EED9F47ACD1.jpeg
F9AC62C0-090E-47C8-A97F-D4011BB6CFEF.jpeg

Unrelated to pinball but I just purchased the arcade 1up big buck Hunter game.. is a great little machine for the money. Also added in a 9” sub in the base for full effect when shooting 😁

Attachments

• 45E2C3FD-9FCF-4FC9-862E-56691E6C5733.jpeg
    45E2C3FD-9FCF-4FC9-862E-56691E6C5733.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
Unrelated to pinball but I just purchased the arcade 1up big buck Hunter game.. is a great little machine for the money. Also added in a 9” sub in the base for full effect when shooting 😁
How does it play? It’s one of my favourite Arcade games, so I have also been looking at this. Just need to extend the room first!

How does it play? It’s one of my favourite Arcade games, so I have also been looking at this. Just need to extend the room first!
To be fair I didn’t know what to expect but am quite pleasantly suprised. Guns are accurate and has 4 big buck games plus lots of bonus games. Well worth the money but the sub is essential to get the most out of the game play. I’ve also purchased a part so that the screen can be enlarged it adds an hdmi port to the game so I may do that when I move it up near the pins in the future but don’t feel the gameplays lacking due to it.

OK, just a small update this week, but Big Buck is in the house........Literally! Given the wet weather, I didn’t want to leave it in the garage for long.

Picked the Powdercoating up (after a very long delay as they rectified some bits) and I think it looks amazing.

The T-Moulding is off and my Comets arrived from the US.

Tonight’s job is a deep clean and wax, before fitting the bulbs.

Thanks for staying and reading 😂

3CC12DDB-F538-49D0-96B0-A065A0E22A46.jpeg

OK, update......Or Project Mylar removal......

So, I was planning on cutting and leaving the Mylar up by the Pop Bumpers, but alas I found some more that was coming up and the cut edges did also not stick flush. Cue order of the BBH Mylar from Marco and freeze spray.

The removal went OK, but I did have trouble with the ‘O’ insert on COW, which came up with the old Mylar (despite me going slowly with freeze spray), anyway I got it stuck back down and under the new Mylar. The advice from @Biff on the Mylar was excellent and my advice for anyone doing is the same, just take your time and plenty of freeze spray.

Other jobs done this week:
- Comet LEDs installed fully, except flashers
- Metal ball guides polished
- Playfield cleaned and waxed
- New flipper bats and Titians fitted

Next job is rebuilding the playfield and getting this great game going again. I have green Titians and a full new plastic set, so it should look great once done.

I will keep the updates coming if anyone is still following......😀

F0F7B33D-D3B4-47F7-B9C7-5EED7870320F.jpeg
3C0D3169-EC8E-4623-BC84-3C6F514AE30B.jpeg

Don’t like the mention of ‘oil’ may be just , but tou culd try this:

Motip Freezer Electronic Spray - 500 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015XMW...abc_37JHEN1G4QDNTFS3PTQ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also check out Utube for titorials. 👍

The key is to take your time and lift only areas you gave doreyed. If your Myler goes over inserts, take extra care.
Interesting didn't know what it was, I've seen it on playfields but only noticed on older ones assumed wrongly it was some sort of playfield wear 🤭

Interesting didn't know what it was, I've seen it on playfields but only noticed on older ones assumed wrongly it was some sort of playfield wear 🤭
All new games still have Mylar in high action areas.

All new games still have Mylar in high action areas.
Thanks, can see this on my LOTR, useful information in getting it off if required, I would have thought it would damage the playfield

OK, this will be the penultimate post, as I am nearing the home straight......

Jobs completed over the last couple of weeks:
- Playfield rebuilt with new plastics, anodised nuts (green) and green Titians (this took a lot longer than anticipated!)
- New decals on the plastics and ramp
- Fitted all the animals (prey 😂) back on the playfield
- Fitted a ColourDMD (LED) - Which was an absolute pain to fit!

Big thanks to @Dave Playman for the help with the ColourDMD fitting, as I was ready to bin it 😒

I broke a screw in a Hex spacer, so I cannot fix the ramp in place until a replacement arrives, so jobs left are:

- Ramp to be fixed in place
- T-Moulding to be fitted (I cut the new one too short 😒)
- New balls to be installed
- Anti-reflective glass from @Neil McRae

I should then be done! Thanks for reading 😀

8AF0B2F9-911C-4229-9D88-6862C44AE05D.jpeg

05337CD1-2552-4811-9045-C6603559275F.jpeg

After a couple of months with no access to the machine, I have finally (almost) finished it! I just need to collect my glass from @Neil McRae and that is it done! Had a few games and wow, it is playing fast after the strip down and wax!

Really happy with the result and I have actually enjoyed pottering away with it.

I love this game, although maybe it’s time to sell it on now (I am kidding @Big Phil 😂).
View attachment IMG_9652.MOV

If anyone is doing this in the future, feel free to message and I will help where I can.

CA276C96-3038-4F29-A630-73862C22C3C2.jpeg
058410A9-FA29-42B1-B188-BA8399879D8D.jpeg
6EB3462E-A9C0-4A0D-8DC9-90CD954E3ACD.jpeg
E0292529-5507-4F81-ADAB-0461975396BD.jpeg
6C8EE0FC-8280-4FE5-B95F-9F4570249F73.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom