What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bearing Lubrication - Help Pls

DRD

Registered
I have an old-school externally vented tumble dryer. These things are rather unfashionable and hard to source now, but nothing is faster.

It has a very crude main bearing. The original nylon onto mild steel one failed after 5 years. OEM spares are long gone. Aftermarket kits are readily available to replace them. I did so about a year ago, but it was never right and "groaned" from day 1.

Replacing bearings is a hateful job. The replacements are brass onto mild steel. This thing takes much of the weight of the drum plus 7kg of laundry.

The kit made no reference to lubricating the bearing. But based on last year I think it needs it. I can't put loads on as there is a danger that either fluff will get in and/ or the grease ends up in the dryer.

Any suggestions what to use pls ?

Teflon spray ? High temp auto ? White lithium ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 17007237859647420941478179822066.jpg
    17007237859647420941478179822066.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
The original nylon onto mild steel one failed after 5 years. OEM spares are long gone.
Known as ‘right to repair’ laws, the new requirements mandate manufacturers to make spare parts for electrical appliances available within two years of all model launches, and then for between seven and 10 years after the model is discontinued, depending on the type of product.

In the first instance, the rules will only apply to companies producing dishwashers, washing machines, washer-dryers, dryers, fridges, freezers, televisions and “other electronic displays” for home use. Laptops, tablets and smartphones are notably excluded from this latter category.

For appliances used by businesses, the rules also cover electric motors, vending machines, retail fridges and freezers, power transformers, welding equipment and light sources. Further products may be added to the requirements in the coming years.

Reactions: DRD
I fear it may be terminal unless I can find a spider bearing somewhere. The original bearing lasted 5 years and looked like this on replacement ...

1700731632046300751151442478065.jpg

The replacement groaned from the getgo and after one year looks like this ...
17007316983428241895215828132651.jpg

It has damaged the spider/carrying bearing too

17007317575278461615499439870284.jpg

The killer is that it is now impossible to get an integrated vented dryer. Vented, yes. Integrated, yes. Not both.

Modern stuff is such crap

The killer is that it is now impossible to get an integrated vented dryer. Vented, yes. Integrated, yes. Not both.

Modern stuff is such crap

Can you get an integrated condensing dryer? Any reason why it has to be vented?

Ive got a none integrated Condesing Dryer as I didnt want to create a massive hole in my wall to vent it outside, the only extra thing you have to do is empty the water container after a cycle which is no hardship and it also has the added bonus of pumping warm air into my kitchen during winter.

What a PITA, we had a similar thing with our last tumble drier, new bearing lasted a few months before it just wore through, the whole system seemed woefully inadequate to support the weight with regular usage.

Any way you could drill out the spider bearing a bit to increase the diameter and wedge a proper ball bearing in there instead of a bushing?

Reactions: DRD
Look for a Oilite flanged bush of the correct size. Oilite bushes are impregnated with lubricant and readily available. Plenty on Ebay.

@Fantazia2

That will be the fallback. Beko, Hoover, Candy, Montpellier do them.

I prefer vented ones as they are much faster. I have a dehumidifier/ wall racks for slow drying in my utility room.

I have installed numeorus kitchens over the years but for some reason it has always been hard to get integrated dryers. For years they have been unknown/ secondary brands that often look identical and probably come out of the same factory.

The mainstream manufacturers Zanussi, AEG, Siemens, Bosch etc etc do integrated washers. They do integrated washer dryers. But not seem to do integrated dryers.

The one I have now is a crap brand called White Knight that has gone out of business. This is Philips technology from the 1990s (?) it was cheap to buy at the time, but perfect for what I needed.

@kev a

It's a great suggestion. I will make enquiries!!!
Doing things properly nowadays really feels like swimming against the ride. The modern way is just bin and replace.

But on this occasion, I can't replace the damned machine.

Feels like driving on the same Nottinghamshire roads I did in the 1980s. But back then there were three lanes (central one for overtaking) and you could go 60 with no speed cameras. It is now 50, no overtaking lane with cameras everywhere despite the improvements like abs, airbags, better tyres, Seat belt pre tensioners ......

Going backwards as a society

@Fantazia2

That will be the fallback. Beko, Hoover, Candy, Montpellier do them.

I prefer vented ones as they are much faster. I have a dehumidifier/ wall racks for slow drying in my utility room.

I have installed numeorus kitchens over the years but for some reason it has always been hard to get integrated dryers. For years they have been unknown/ secondary brands that often look identical and probably come out of the same factory.

The mainstream manufacturers Zanussi, AEG, Siemens, Bosch etc etc do integrated washers. They do integrated washer dryers. But not seem to do integrated dryers.

The one I have now is a crap brand called White Knight that has gone out of business. This is Philips technology from the 1990s (?) it was cheap to buy at the time, but perfect for what I needed.
Our White Knight is about 30 years old. I hope that's not the kiss of death.

I think I need to take a pinball approach. Play the long game. I have patched it up for now.

I will buy used ones on ebay. Scavenge what I can. Then get a proper flange bush made out of better material - there are folk online who do this with measurements you send.

Thanks for your help chaps

Back
Top Bottom