What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBB or KP remake?

jonathan

Site Supporter
Just seen on pinside that planetary pinball have bought/taken over Illinois pinball, who had the rights to capcom games. Looks like BBB or KP might be the next game after MM?

I know I am in the minority here but I honestly think that these 2 games are only special because of their rarety. I'm not saying they aren't good games. But start making an infinate amount of them and charge 6.5K and are they really more of an attractive option than ACDC Prem or Star Trek LE or Hobbit LE or Full Throtle or The Big Lebowski etc etc.

Have you got a link to said thread handy?

"Or Popeye...."

Lol :rofl: That manufacturer folded at the wrong time, such a shame they didn't make more and get them games off the shelf in the first place.

BBB can get a bit annoying call out wise , other than that it's right up there. Play at least once a week, yes on VP :wave:. Original theme. Music. Rules, Love it.

Must finish Kingping, the p-rocs got in my way of doing anything atm. Really NEED to play that one.

I'd like to spend some time playing a BBB so that I can form a proper opinion of one, but in honesty it doesn't look like a game that I would really want to own

BBB is a good game, maybe not great BUT the artwork and mechanics are stunning. For those reasons it deserves its place up there. I've turned down 2 BBBs in the past as they were too much for me at the time, I wouldn't hesitate in getting one if they are remade (again)

image.jpg
Pinball was looking forward to new BBB decals! They will make it some day I reckon, but not for at least 3 years.
How many have dropped out of MMR is a big factor. With Stern & JJP and even Skit B and highway on the scene, and quality improving the call for older game remakes looks to be on the decline.

Maybe PPS profit lies in remaking hard to get game parts etc

They didn't require them for nothing. I reckon they'll be remade at some point, you're just gonna have to live with months/years speculation every day on that site.

With Kingpin, the game code would have to be rebuilt. Where they probably could've sneaked it in with an emulation layer on the FAST board.

The two known ROM versions are 1.4β and 1.5β.
Each version has a bug (when the Capcom factory closed, the game was never completed). One of the ROM versions has no music during 3-ball Multiball. In the other ROM version, it is impossible to tilt!
TODO: Find which ROM version corresponds to each bug.

Not sure why we've decided 1000 sales is the magic number. Selling 500 machines at 5k (i assume wholesale would be about this figure) would gross 2.5 million. Would it cost more than 2 million to build? If not then that's a pretty good margin still. The smart money would still be on BBB or KP but I would have thought 500 AFMs would be possible

PPS have apparently said that 1000 units would be make it profitable to adapt their boards to make BBB.
Also I guess making different coils to make the ramp, assemblies etc, useless they try and retro fit Williams parts to make BBB which Williams tried back then and failed.

To make 193 BBB Gene said cost was about 6.5K. Was more expensive due to low run of things.
PPS ordering different coils, and Capcom parts for less than 1000 machines would probably be the same sort of thing.
Not like ordering 10,000 coils/mechs etc that fit 10,000+ Williams pins.....if you get my drift

Can see that for the BBB/KP but I suspect either of these might be able to sell 1000. When did Gene try and make KP?

I would have thought the breakeven for WMS games would be lower

Gene didn't, he had no boards left, he wanted to borrow a kingpin but the owner wanted some ridiculous figure and a new KP when he built them. So never happened.

I don't know if Gene has paid back the kingpin deposits before he went under either! Another Bumper amusements fiasco!

Ahh, that sounds familiar. Think it was all before my time.

Similarly did all the OZ MM remake people get their deposits back from Wayne in the end or was there a deal cut with PPS? Wonder if there will ever be a virtual version of Croc Hunter made?

Saw something earlier on Pinside as well about the Hobbit losing a flipper. So now it's got one less flipper and radically different artwork to when I ordered one:( (Oh and a new designer to finish it off:confused:)

This pre-paying for new machines system really isn't for the faint hearted.;)

Ahh, that sounds familiar. Think it was all before my time.

Similarly did all the OZ MM remake people get their deposits back from Wayne in the end or was there a deal cut with PPS? Wonder if there will ever be a virtual version of Croc Hunter made?

Saw something earlier on Pinside as well about the Hobbit losing a flipper. So now it's got one less flipper and radically different artwork to when I ordered one:( (Oh and a new designer to finish it off:confused:)

This pre-paying for new machines system really isn't for the faint hearted.;)

Is the artwork better or worse I've not been on there properly for a while. Thought it looked fine as is

Last time I saw it, it wasn't bad but I prefered the original. Think they've now taken the huge white orc off the side.

Back
Top Bottom