What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batteries Made Easy?

Marcel

Site Supporter
Sorry all, I should have googled 1st

Remote battery holder - Pinball Heaven

Last edited:

I received and installed my remote battery packs the other day. Connected them up using the crocodile clips and left them sat inside the back box.

This morning, I went back to the game which was turned off with the intention of fixing the remote pack to the back box for a better job.

Despite the lotr having been turned off, batteries were warm.

I am using Duracell rechargeable batteries. Could these be the problem?

Could I have just got a poor connection with the crocodile clips?

Actually I noticed on both the new remote battery connectors that the holder's negative end spring was flat & not springing for 5 of the 6 battery slots.
I did return them to a springing function but it happened again, therefore I am considering they may be helping to a poor connection if they're not pushing all connections together well.

Has anyone got any tips and or experience with this?

Sent from the comfort of my sofa

Every time I turn lotr off and on, it says open the door (ive not tried working on the other game yet).

Removed remote battery connector batteries and placed them in machine and all is well again.

The remote battery connector is at fault. It's ok I bought 3 of them.

Tried 2nd remote battery connector (see last photo).

Started smoking so I removed quickly.

You can see remote battery holder below my thumb is shiny, that's it melting.

What am I doing wrong?
c74adc43a1e8d1f4e664416cc7c40c43.jpg

How it's wired
466ca8e97d4b37f51a19b27607a8f638.jpg
Springs stay seated
2004287ac60a6c5449bc7a22eaa017d7.jpg

Melting plastic.
439e21d6fd510cdcabd2234911c79329.jpg

Last edited:
You’re clipping them in the wrong place. You are connecting to a a short circuit within the old battery holder.

Attached is a picture of the circuit board with holder removed. Connect to these two points

6f7c187d10f53bf30307da1ca4d1545c.jpg

You're missing a diode on the holder they are being charged.

But hang on, I just connected red to positive, how could I get circuit board wrong

Because the old battery holder has internal connections and the connection points are as per my photo. If you pull the old holder forwards or cut it off you will see a wire across making a connection between batteries.

4a2e614ce417bcd9f29b1afd8ebd1414.jpg

Thanks pinball mania (is it andy?), so do I connect to the 2 points shown in my picture?
ea8af0e258b229e7c2a03143b001812c.jpg

And so on STTNG, top row are all + but is there a particular way that needs connecting?

Why are you using rechargeable batteries? No pinball has a charging circuit for the back up batteries!

Just put in quality AA cells and they should last you years.

Most people tend to change the batteries every Christmas for example.

Three AA batteries in not going to break the bank.

Why are you using rechargeable batteries? No pinball has a charging circuit for the back up batteries!

Just put in quality AA cells and they should last you years.

Most people tend to change the batteries every Christmas for example.

Three AA batteries in not going to break the bank.

Why do they even make rechargeable batteries in that case?

Anyhow, to answer your question. I have 5 TV's all with remotes, 3 salt/pepper grinders, 2 pinball, 3 head torches, 1 nose hair clipper, 2 wireless keyboards, 2 mouse, central heating thermostat and goodness knows what else.
None of which self charge batteries. But theres always something running out of charge.

It's convenient to just charge the spare set and swap them out without putting the shoes n socks on, plus the real pig is when it happens in middle of the night.

Last edited:
Rechargeable have their place when they’re used in high drain situations. Torches, toys, motorised things etc.

The drain on AAs in a pinball is tiny so batteries will last many years. So rechargeables not really required.

Also bear in mind that rechargeable batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.2 volts, not the 1.5v of a normal battery. So you are supplying 3.6v when fully charged instead of the normal 4.5v.

3.6v is closer to the critical point where memory could be lost.

That's useful to know, I never considered they had lower voltage.

I was advised to swap them yearly by the collector I bought LOTR off, he mentioned rechargeable so I just thought it ok.

I'll keep an eye out for memory loss in future but these have been lasting a year no problems.
I have anual calendar reminder set in the phone.

Thanks again for the addition knowledge:)

And so now I have set batteries off the board and if I go lithium, is it essential to swap the yearly?

Back
Top Bottom