What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally/Williams v Stern

pintableuser

Registered
This week I have been mainly sitting in the sun, eating Pom-Bears and drinking Desparados. I have taken an active interest in something I thought I would never do. i.e "Think" about buying a NIB machine and have been reviewing my options. So with a pocket of £1 coins, I was off for a few planned visits to my local HMV stores where they have some late model Sterns.
I enjoyed the games, they played well and I found something in each to make me smile. .FG, IJ4, T3 Tron, X-Men, Batman. The Batman taking most of my coin.
My preference has always been toward Williams/Bally with a few wayward moments towards Data East/Sega. The Williams/Bally machines feel solid, the flippers, drop targets, slingshots n bumpers all have very distinctive resonant solid tones, such that when you play a Williams/Bally its got a heart beat of its very own..... and when in full song the machine really comes to life.
This was not evident in the Stern games, they felt light and chinkly and it took me a bit of time to compensate and work out what was different. Like driving a tractor... then jumping into a Chevrolet Matiz........ I will need to make many visits for a more thorough assessment and see what's what in the world of Mr Stern.

Having had both, I far prefer Sterns (I know, not the prevalent view!). I prefer the more detailed playfield toys and graphics.
To me it seems a bit like owning a classic car - I can appreciate the look of a mid 70's to mid 90's 's BMW 3 Series - I think they look pretty cool at first glance. But then when you sit in it...it's so unrefined compared to the new models, with it's clunky controls and unrefined plastics. Bally/Williams just seem a bit like that to me. I'm not a hater though, and would happily own them, just prefer the Stern look and feel. :)

I've always felt the build of (Some!) Sterns cheap and the halftone(?) printing on the cab, pf and plastics can look a little ugly.

I do enjoy Spiderman and AC/DC though!

It all depends what you want from a pin, gameplay on both can be awesome depending on the title but that's where the similarity ends, Bally Williams feel like proper arcade machines, Sterns feel like something you could buy from a catalogue, a full size pin but not quite the real deal, the difference between a leather and pvc jacket, if it's just gameplay then both have winners and losers but personally I think there is an element of soul present in the Bally/Wms titles and they feel just right although I do own both and Pinball owes Stern a great debt for keeping it alive during the dark period.

What are the physical differences that make a Bally/Williams feel more solid? Is the cab/playfield wood thicker? Heavier or more powerful coils? I've only owned a hs2 and a shadow, no sterns.

It would probably be quite difficult to isolate all the specific elements, cost cutting and subsequent weight loss has probably been factored into every area possible over the years which has resulted in two very different machines when placed side by side in 2013, on feel alone I believe that JJP's WOZ is a blast from the past which can only be a good thing.

Yeah, they are all decent games, although less so Tron imo, but the other ones I mentioned are even better to me

Never really bought into this argument. Some Sterns are pretty rough, Transformers anyone? Wasn't impressed by X-Men (or was it Avengers?) either.

However, LOTR and SM beat lots of the WMS models imo. Would far rather have either of these than Roadshow (The ultimate plastic machine) and look at how often a machine like TOM or JY breaks. For me there was a far bigger quality gap between the WMS machines and Data East than the current Sterns . As for flipper feel Stern anyday over Gottliebs or Data East.

Mind you I like SEGAs so what the **** do I know?!?

Sterns are definately not as heavy and that is good when you are moving them about, but terrible when playing agressively. Sure, the quality of sterns is questionable, but i would never disregard a stern over a bally/williams based on the quality of its components. Its the quality of the gameplay and how that game makes you feel when you play that matters. Above all else.

I suppose I'm more of Gottlieb man myself...! But own or have owned Zacc's, Sega's, Stern's and B/W's. I've never had a preference but I will say that the modern Sterns are a lot easier to move in and out of a house or room thanks to the lightness and 27 inch backbox width.

Interestingly, I think the most played machine at Special When Lit is Tron, followed closely by Avatar and Attack From Mars. I've had plenty of opportunity to sell Tron for way more than I paid for it as it is a very sort after machine.

After many pleasant hours of in depth hands on research and your knowledgeable comment I have reached the conclusion that all I really need is a good condition playfield, several steel balls, a plunger, some high point fixed/drop targets, strong bumpers n slingshots, good sound, plenty flashing lights....... and springy rubber posts.
So..... I'll leave the NIB purchases for the moment and continue to wait for the operators to exhaust the earning power of their new machines or when owners get bored with theirs and pick them up where and when the opportunity permits. That way I get the fun of seeking, finding, fetching, fixing, fine tuning, playing and smiling......instant gratification... I know I could not hack the waiting.

Back
Top Bottom