What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally Viking

MGV

Registered
Hello All

I had never really played pinball untill on holiday in France a few weeks ago and then dropped quite a few euro's into an Indy 500 machine... would have better if i could read what it was saying ....lol... but after a few bids on ebay I now have a 1981 Bally Viking .... the wife say's the pin can live in the lounge when working.... result !!!!!

Seems to have a few issues ..... are there any other Viking owners on the forum

regards Mark

Reactions: JT.
You didn't buy that pile of crap that was listed as a buy it now on ebay did you?

Welcome to the forum Mark :thumbs: If it is the Viking off Ebay that you bought then it seemed to have some issues. What does it do when you power it up?

Hi All

it was the one on ebay, but didn't pay the buy it now price, plus its was local and went in the back of my car (I took a view i could have driven 1/2 way across england to buy something similar so stayed local)...... when it was switched on it burnt out resistor / capactor on the solenoid driver board ..... which i'll fix ..... the thumper connected was solid so i have removed this and replaced it.....I suspect there will be other issues ..... i bought it a as project what i like is the art work, the fact it's original ...the back glass needs some attention and I'm going to try spraying with Krylon .... it'll be interesting if the playfield can be repaired by an artist ??
It does seem i can get most componets off ebay....... and if never works again I suspect i can break it and get my money back.... which would be a shame :mad:

whats the best fuse joke then (apart from this one when I turn it on again) :(

Why would you break it for parts. That's just bad :(

If it ever comes to that I'll give you the £200 you paid for it ;)

Reactions: MGV
Hi All

it was the one on ebay, but didn't pay the buy it now price, plus its was local and went in the back of my car (I took a view i could have driven 1/2 way across england to buy something similar so stayed local)...... when it was switched on it burnt out resistor / capactor on the solenoid driver board ..... which i'll fix ..... the thumper connected was solid so i have removed this and replaced it.....I suspect there will be other issues ..... i bought it a as project what i like is the art work, the fact it's original ...the back glass needs some attention and I'm going to try spraying with Krylon .... it'll be interesting if the playfield can be repaired by an artist ??
It does seem i can get most componets off ebay....... and if never works again I suspect i can break it and get my money back.... which would be a shame :mad:

You go for it. I fancied this too until I saw the backglass artwork and the shilling going on with the original auction. It seems rare so all the motivation to restore it. :)
There's a guy in the North (can find his details if you want) that does excellent playfield touching in but of course you need to get the playfield to him. Otherwise have a go yourself? How bad is it?

Everything will be fixable in time. Luke Wells on here does board repairs but you'll need to be patient depending on his work load.

Why would you break it for parts. That's just bad :(

If it ever comes to that I'll give you the £200 you paid for it ;)

Hang on ...thought it was a 'pile of crap' , now you want to buy it ;)

Good luck @MGV with getting it sorted :thumbs: Lots of knowledge on this site and online - should def be able to save the game. Most generic parts are readily available, along with replacement boards if needed.

@MGV have a read of this

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

should tell you most of what you need to know to help get it working. If you have the tools then first place I'd start is with testing the voltages on the power board in the bottom of the cab (or possibly the right side of the head, not sure where it is on Viking) and then seeing how many flashes you get from the MPU board at start up. You also want to check the battery and the MPU board for leakage :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom