What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Bally (1981) Frauen Elektra

We (@astyy ) tested the voltages this afternoon and all in range, so following a switch on guide continued to power up. First time in a long time this machine has taken a mains supply.

Good points: 7 flashes on the MPU card.
Some back box lights came on.

Head scratching:
Dianostics button does not work.
Nothing else works!

Got some fault finding to do but after years of lying dormant the supply looks clean into the machine.
Could have been worse!

Attachments

• 20200109_152525.jpg
    20200109_152525.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200109_143509.jpg
    20200109_143509.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22
Elektra is an early Bally multi-ball game, and I think it doesn't fully boot-up (i.e. into Attract/Game Over mode) unless the balls are located.
@jay

Jay, I owe you a pint!
Ok so I'm in dianostics.
GI Up.
Playfield Attract no, always on.
Rollover stars are sequencing.
Lower playfield dead.
Speech is a bit like me after a few drinks.....slow.
Backbox lights are sequencing faintly, but I have to put an aux driver in to support LEDs.

Attachments

• 20200109_164442.jpg
    20200109_164442.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 18
If you have full working lamp boards you can buy the add on boards to convert to LEDs ,there is a set for the lamp board and the aux board ,I think they are about 18 dollars at set @kevlar bought a set a bit back !

If you have full working lamp boards you can buy the add on boards to convert to LEDs ,there is a set for the lamp board and the aux board ,I think they are about 18 dollars at set @kevlar bought a set a bit back !

It came to me without a lamp board so have a alltek led board in. The aux board is original but swapping that out for a new one.

What I have done is remove the lamps under the playfield which I have just read you should leave them in as that indicates the aux solenoid boards are working.

I'm lacking the background sounds too and the rollover stars are not giving me a score.
I think I am nearly there, just a few hours under the hood checking switches with a bit of luck.

Slings, saucers and targets are all good.

Ok so today's fiddle around. Cleaned and tested all the switches. They are all good. Solenoids work under diagnostics..

Still no attract lights. I only get flashing playfield lights on boot and only until the upper playfield has reset the inline drop targets.
Rollover stars do sequence though.

Right upper and lower do not flip
Left bottom flkps but not the upper left.
Lower playfield left and right flips when lower PF is in play.

The upper (in fact any additional) flippers on Bally and Stern games of this age are switched from the EoS of the main flippers, so failure of the main also kills the extra flipper. Since the button works when using the inset playfield, I'd look at the main right flipper. The upper flipper can be checked, though, by holding the main flipper fully raised and pressing the button (with the relay on, of course).

The upper (in fact any additional) flippers on Bally and Stern games of this age are switched from the EoS of the main flippers, so failure of the main also kills the extra flipper. Since the button works when using the inset playfield, I'd look at the main right flipper. The upper flipper can be checked, though, by holding the main flipper fully raised and pressing the button (with the relay on, of course).

@Jay Walker
Thanks Jay. Held the bottom flipper up an the upper right flips . I could feel engery in the bottom flipper. So after some checking all flippers are working.
This is good experience ahead of Space Invaders.

Last edited:
New aux led driver fitted to the door of the backbox.
It's not keeping the sound setting either. Setting 18 on the mpu 03. When I turn back on it's at 04 which is not a setting and sound is lost.

On boot when it does all flash for a few seconds the 1-9 Elektra lights by the flippers do not cycle. They are the only lights that do not cycle briefly.
I wonder if the aux driver AS-2518-68 is duff. If I swap the lower pf one for the main one that will give me an indication.
Nope seems they are ok.

Attachments

• 20200112_154613.mp4
    9.3 MB
  • 20200112_154807.mp4
    17.9 MB
Last edited:
Elektra is a funny old Gal. I've put Incandescent bulbs in the areas where there was no Illumination and it all works fine. I've got a ticket with Alltek to check that Alltek + Comets + Elektra are besties. S&T is of an age so might grab Jim's replacement @myPinballs S&T in due course.
Just need to top and tail her and shes good to go.
I'm off to the Gamma Dimension....

97% complete. 10 fuses later.... right flipper not gripping well. The metal shaft for some reason is not as long as the originals, so not getting a good grip.
A visit from @astyy and social media support from @new forest pinball pushed this long today.

My gratitude as ever.

Attachments

• IMG-20200307-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200307-WA0003.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 30
Looking very nice, great work so far! That upper playfield looks amazing now, crazy what difference changing the star rollovers alone made, they never age well. Electra is a beauty that's for sure, need to try and play one some day.

Looking good !!

I just changed the flipper 4 of the 6 coils in mine (I'm pondering swapping at least the 2 main ones for the newer style Williams ones).

AAMOI is the difference between the LED displays and the regular ones noticeable ? Would it stick out if you mixed and matched ?

You would notice it if you mixed and matched led and plasma displays I am afraid.

Back
Top Bottom