What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awful theme to great game ratio

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
I'm twiddling my thumbs at my desk and was thinking about great games with bad themes. There's so many but which has the biggest ratio between awesome game and sh1te theme. I'm thinking Dialed In is up there. Pat Lawlors come back, somewhat hampered by Sim City meets budget phone shop, selfie cam and emojis included! What you got? If anyone says Iron Maiden I'm calling for an instant ban!

Congo is an excellent shout. That film doesn't even work in a whacky 90's throwback way. It's so bad even Tim Curry can't save it. Just absolute garbage. The pin is great though!

This question makes me self concious as I'm too vain to play a pin I find thematically bad, and that's most of them. But here goes.

AFM. Fascistically grey and lackluster art with borish traffic light insert all over it, garnished with unimaginitive aliens you really don't care about. Callouts are great but doesn't save the drab wasteland. I can see how it's probably one of the best games there is, I just can't bring myself to play much of it otherwise I'll one day convince myself to bring the abomination home.

I'd legitimately retheme one and then you'd kick me off this forum.

Yeah I love the theme of AFM. Absolute classic. Sacre bleu! I was thinking maybe TWD. That is a mess of a theme, on a sh1tty looking brown, blood splattered pf hiding an awesome game.

World Cup Soccer. Different theme could have put it in B/W top ten. Even the shout outs are naff...”out of bounds”

I rather like World Cup Soccer, played it at Blackpool last year for the first (and so far only time). Suppose I didn't get into it enough to find out if any call outs were annoying after hearing them 20 times.

WCS is wouldn’t be the same without the naff call outs, out of bounds does annoy me though😂
But great game and theme I think.

"They can't seem to get control of the ball" 🙄
Still one of my top 10 games, love it.

Last edited:
I rather like World Cup Soccer, played it at Blackpool last year for the first (and so far only time). Suppose I didn't get into it enough to find out if any call outs were annoying after hearing them 20 times.
It's a bizarre Pin. Based on the 1994 World Cup. England did not qualify but the Pin refers to Great Britain (from memory). I would love to know how that happened?
Btw, how did you manage to find one in Blackpool last year?!

Yeah I don't go in for Marvel stuff usually but Guardians was a really fun movie.

It's a bizarre Pin. Based on the 1994 World Cup. England did not qualify but the Pin refers to Great Britain (from memory). I would love to know how that happened?
Btw, how did you manage to find one in Blackpool last year?!

There was one at Play Expo Blackpool, so it was only there for a weekend.

GOTG is amazing - read the comics.

demo man the movie is a steaming turd lol

iron maiden epic game ruined by a turd theme with turd music.

rubbish theme, Flash Gordon, ok the movie is cheesy but the game is epic

junkyard

embryon - great big ***** but a great game

Or going the opposite way - great theme, garbage pin.

PotO, LW3, MSF

Back
Top Bottom