What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avengers Pro randomly ends the ball as though it has drained...

DanLewell

Registered
So my Avengers has started to end the ball as though it has drained before the ball drains.

It only happens about once every 10 games or so.

So Im guessing its maybe a dodgy diode on one of the switches and its registering the wrong switch (outlane or Trough) instead of the one it should be registering.

I thought if I pay enough attention to when it happens I might be able to work out where the dodgy diode is maybe.

Today it happened twice from the top left lane (row 1 Column 10). so looking a the manual I was expecting to see that sharing a row or column with either one of the outlanes or one of the trough switches but it doesn't. So I'm no nearer to working out what to check. It could be the left pop bumper switch maybe? as the left lane always feeds onto that and if that registered a different switch instead of itself then the bumper wouldn't fire? and that is on the same row as the trough and outlanes.

I am narrowing it down, and if so what do I check next to sort it out, or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Avenger Switch Matrix.PNG

^^ definitely check this. I literally had this same issue last night on tron. Checked the trough boards this morning and one side was wobbling around with only one screw attaching it!! Switched another screw over, tightened it up and all sorted.

My Ac/dc was doing it. Shaker was vibrating the cable off the trough board. Sure it'll be an easy fix. Good luck

Try reseating the connectors to the trough boards
Almost certainly this. Stern have this issue on virtually all of their games.

If it's still a problem @DanLewell you can always leave it with me to have a look - shouldn't take me more than a couple of months to get it sorted ;)

Hi, Dan,

The diagram doesn't seem as clear to me as a Williams grid-type diagram, but if you suspect a faulty diode somewhere, it isn't necessarily on the same line as the 'phantom' switch

Ideally, you should try to grab a mental snap-shot of all the matrix switches that are active at the moment the phantom switch occurs, including the ball trough, any drop targets, balls locked, bumper, slingshot, whatever. Then it's possible to look on the 'grid' for a rectangle of active switches, with one corner being the phantom switch. If something promising is found, either set this situation up in play, or use one of the switch tests ('Levels' or 'Single' were useful on Williams games) to see if activating three of this pattern brings in the phantom. In these cases, the faulty diode is located on the switch diagonally opposite the phantom

Standard for modern Stern's, some suffer it more than others. Just re-seat the trough connector a couple of times on each side of the z connector piece.

Yep, it looks like that was the problem.

Reseated the connector and it's played without any issues tonight. :thumbs: Thanks everyone.

If it's still a problem @DanLewell you can always leave it with me to have a look - shouldn't take me more than a couple of months to get it sorted ;)
Looks like I'll have to keep it here a while longer, thanks for the offer though Wayne. :rofl::rofl:

Yep, it looks like that was the problem.

Reseated the connector and it's played without any issues tonight. :thumbs: Thanks everyone.

Looks like I'll have to keep it here a while longer, thanks for the offer though Wayne. :rofl::rofl:
Glad it's sorted (ish).
Always happy to help, especially now I've moved and have an excess of pin sized holes in my 'pinball room'.

Back
Top Bottom