What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Attack From Mars (in Yorkshire...)

Been thinking about this. If you order non-RGB LED strip you will be stuck with the hue and brightness of the light panel as it comes. When it is dark I often dim mine down.
good point.

In the meantime I've had a little setback on AFM. Managed to bugger something when a lamp came lose and shorted across a solenoid. Now the lamps are a bit scrambled and no solenoids or flashers work! Doh. F102 & F108 blew in the process. Not got time for that today.

good point.

In the meantime I've had a little setback on AFM. Managed to bugger something when a lamp came lose and shorted across a solenoid. Now the lamps are a bit scrambled and no solenoids or flashers work! Doh. F102 & F108 blew in the process. Not got time for that today.
Oops. Have a look tomorrow when you are less miffed.

Back online & coming along nicely. Just need to adjust the 2 switches on the right slingshot back about 2-3mm as they're jammed on & up to the wood, then I can really start play 'testing'.
EDIT: FOUND AN OLD PIC
image.jpeg

NOW (STILL WIP)

image.jpeg

LEDs are not to everyone's tastes, but I like them and it looks great in person.

Last edited:
If anyone's still reading this; now that I'm nearing the end of this l-o-n-g journey; I might be tempted to trade this for a TWD Prem (HUO, naturally) or similar. PM me if you want to talk.

Nearly every part of this game is new! The main area on the playfield has never had a ball over it either...

If anyone's still reading this; now that I'm nearing the end of this l-o-n-g journey; I might be tempted to trade this for a TWD Prem (HUO, naturally) or similar. PM me if you want to talk.

Nearly every part of this game is new! The main area on the playfield has never had a ball over it either...

After all that work and time taken to restore this beauty you're going to trade it man!

Like the colour matching on the LED's by the way, looks really smart.

After all that work and time taken to restore this beauty you're going to trade it man!

Possibly, my tastes have evolved over the last 3-4yrs and I've less time to do work on them due to kids coming along, so playtime is precious. This game has taken forever, been all over in the process and has parts from literally all over the globe. It now partially epitomises missing time with my family, but it's still a great game!

Thanks; the insert LEDs are almost exclusively comet twin SMD, sunlight white & frosted domes. Just the green Martian inserts, 6 blue feature progress inserts and the 2 in shoot again that isn't (they are coloured LEDs from whatever I had to hand). The inserts are driven by an LEDOCD board.
The GI is nearly all comet op-max in ice blue, green and red, with a couple of sunlights in the back there. The ice blue highlights those green edged plastic things really well.

It's my fault. I had to use a crowbar to get him off my Walking Dead. His head has been turned.

About time i closed this thread!

In summary...

A well-played AFM was bought in late 2013.

Then, over the last 3yrs...

New cab decals bought.
Cab redecalled by Darren Ball.
All cabinet metal work powder coated black: Legs, rails, lockdown, (new) VUK & Coindoor.
New Mirco playfield (2 older pf's are now wall art).
Red mirror blades.
UFO pinball mods - Saucers & Expansion.
Makrolon Playfield protector fitted, so the playfield has never actually seen a ball!
New green targets x7.
New supposedly limited edition red ramps from Australia, and i went a bit further but removing the crappier blue metal flaps and adding pinbits steel flaps (special thanks to Paul)
Pinbits strobe bulb.
New diverter gates.
Loads of new nuts/screws/bolts...
New Green mothership plastic.
GOSMOD mothership board.
New Caps on the PowerDriverBoard.
New PinLED CPU board (got original repaired since).
New plastics and clear plastics.
Fluorescent plastics from Freddy's pinball paradise.
Transparent acrylic playfield backboard cityscape thing (still needs to be lit with some LED strips from comet)
Full comet LEDs, flashers & LED OCD board (can't have LEDs without one of these boards - it's WRONG).
Tumbled all metal bits.
Brand new pop bumpers (with green caps, not as per factory). I have new red ones too.
Upgraded Flipper Fidelity backbox and cab speakers, plus external powered-sub output, not that it needs it.
Pinbits shaker motor (disconnected - don't like it)
Flashing eye martians - not installed. Can't be ****d now. Plus a few spare floppy originals.
ColorDMD.
New SOL scoop.
New Flipper plates & mechs.
All new roms from Paul on here.
Recovered some but not all the coil labels.
New "improved design" ball trough.
Strobe board caps replaced.
Translucent Green buttons installed, but not lit up yet.
Button wear protectors fitted.

And probably loads of extras i've forgotten now...

My only bodges (from memory) were replacing the Pop bumper flasher socket from bayonet to wedge, but that was back when bayonet flasher were pants - I'd probably change it back now. And i had to replace the sling shot switches & cables.

Particular thanks to @stoptap & @Paul for their help.

Marking this as complete now.

MORE PICS TO FOLLOW WHEN TIME ALLOWS.

not sure there is a demand for refurbed afm playfields but if our paths cross i may have one of the old playfields off you .great job by the way !!

Fantastic looking game:) Great work.

Only thing I would change is black bolts instead of red but this is a very very minor issue!

I personally prefer aliens without those leds:)

Fantastic looking game:) Great work.

Only thing I would change is black bolts instead of red but this is a very very minor issue!

I personally prefer aliens without those leds:)

Never fear, I have regular black bolts on the back legs and 4 spares for the front. Painted the original silver ones (and the backbox pivot bolt) red; just because i could.

If i installed the LED-eyed Martians it'd have to be to the relevant solenoids so they only flash with each coil pulse. Don't like them on the MARTIAN inserts. The ones i have in a box somewhere are actually quite good, the LED eyes are really nicely done, but they're not so wiggly and i can't be bothered to fit them at the moment.

Last edited:
Wiggly martians are the best:)
I have some NOS ones as they may come in useful one day....

Great work! Maybe it's time I finished my restoration from early 2013? :eek:

That's a very long list of work and new/custom parts. Any rough idea of how much you've invested over these last 3 years? How much did you you buy it for and what do you reckon it's worth now? I've become a big fan of AFM recently (yeah yeah I know, retro BallyBoy digs a modern pin).

Just curious. I know restoration is a labour of love and not a money earner!

What an amazing result and a great read too. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm about to start work on a water damaged creech and time is also short due to family life, so good to know that it is probably going to be about 10 x harder than I imagined!

Back
Top Bottom