What's new

Atari Vault

Atari produced some truly iconic games. I have the old ipad app, but as nice as it looks, it just doesn't get close. The key is obviously getting the controller right. So many awesome atari games had very specific controllers that other arcade manufacturers did not bother with. Others often just came in generic cabinets, but atari games usually felt bespoke and special. And back then, bespoke was a word I did not even use

Battlezone
Centipede
Tempest
Star Wars
Paperboy

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Obviously from my logo I'm a big fan. I've had for years a CD (yes CD not DVD) with all the original arcade games using MAME. Exactly as the arcade but no fancy machine with fags burns by 'player 1' start.

Atari produced some truly iconic games. I have the old ipad app, but as nice as it looks, it just doesn't get close. The key is obviously getting the controller right. So many awesome atari games had very specific controllers that other arcade manufacturers did not bother with. Others often just came in generic cabinets, but atari games usually felt bespoke and special. And back then, bespoke was a word I did not even use

Battlezone
Centipede
Tempest
Star Wars
Paperboy

View attachment 28150
View attachment 28151
View attachment 28152

I own all of the games you list above, specifically for the reason that you mention, that it's all about getting the controller right, and well, with most early to mid 80's Atari games, it was all about the unique controllers. There is no other proper way to experience these games then on real arcade machines with real controls.

Reactions: DRD
I own all of the games you list above, specifically for the reason that you mention, that it's all about getting the controller right, and well, with most early to mid 80's Atari games, it was all about the unique controllers. There is no other proper way to experience these games then on real arcade machines with real controls.

Agree. But seeing the cost and availability are pretty much prohibitive on them now .... its still great to revisit the classics in any form, the sights and sounds transporting you back to simpler times :) Warm and fuzzy in the glow of nostalgia :)

looks fun. always been an Atari fan but all but Gauntlet long gone now. favourite was 720 degrees but even when I owned one I couldn't play it properly

Atari made my favourite arcade game of all time.....Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom :D Awesome game!!! :thumbs:

Awesome selection of Ataris @lukewells

Even the one player and two player start buttons are iconic on these games

I have (off the top of my head)

Missile Command
Battlezone
Tempest
Major Havoc
Monaco GP
Gorf
Asteroids
Road Runner / Marble Madness / Indiana Jones
Road Blasters (cockpit)
Centipede
Dig Dug
Williams (Joust / Robotron / Defender / Bubbles)
Assault
Chase HQ
Biplane
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back
Chequered Flag
Afterburner
Paperboy
Xybots
APB
Champion Sprint
Winding Heat