What's new

Found it! at-27-1300

does it have 3 lugs ?
got one from america
but a spare one might come in handy
and quicker

The middle lug is just there to make it simper to solder the two diodes on. Not all coils need two diodes, hence not all are supplied with the third lug. On bally, i think it is the presence of the solenoid expander board that leads to this doubling up of diodes on coils. The middle lug is not connected to the windings of the coil, so you can almost certainly use the two lug version, you just have to fashion the second diode connection yourself in the middle of the plastic between the external lugs

Many coils have a gap in the plastic for a third lug to be inserted, you just poke a diode through here and bend it into a middle lug

Last edited:
now confused on old bally coil 1diode goes from middle to outside and 1 diode spans both outside connections
so what is the point of middle connection diode just curious, seems strange to put it on if not connected
bear with me i'm just learning about pinballs :wave:
its on the outhole kicker on a vector

The middle lug is there to solder the solenoid wire onto so you can easily insert a diode " in series " into the circuit

The diode then carries current between this middle lug and the outer lug

You could forget about the middle lug altogether. Just solder the wire to the loose diode. Then the other end of the diode to the outer lug. Cover the lot in heat shrink so that the wire ends of the diode are insulated from the rest of the game. But this is a bit of a "hack" or botched job

The middle lug just makes soldering easier and the resulting join more robust

aah now i get it easy when you know how
thank you for taking the time to explain:)

Back
Top Bottom