What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrgh, blooming pinball machines...

Moonraker

Site Supporter
Arrgh, blooming pinball machines... Don't ya just love em...!

Given all the recent AFM talk on the high score thread (blame @Nedreud for that! ;)) has had me thinking about @dragon2000 AFM at Special When Lit. It's a fairly brutal game in tournament mode with no extra balls. I put the Grand Champion High Score on it a couple of years ago now and have never reached Rule the Universe on it. Quite a few of the countries top players have attempted to better it. However, no one has been anywhere near it this year.

IMG_20161028_191944.jpg
Anyhow it was noticed that the 3 bank drop target wasn't raising, so I had a look at it on Saturday. I was expecting the usual broken switch issues, wire off or something like that. That proved to not be the case... the motor for the drop bank had worked loose, so much so that it tilted the drop target arm at an angle that prevented the upper switch from working. Simple fix, tighten the screws after adding some locktite to stop a repeat and put it all back together.

Time to test.

Well the the first ball went like a dream and the result was this score after the first ball had been completed:
IMG_20161029_175956.jpg
Wow, not bad if I may say so...

Then this on completion of ball two (managed Dead Pool as well!):
IMG_20161029_180323.jpg
With a very special light lit that I had never seen lit during game play on this machine, yup Rule the Universe is lit :clap::

IMG_20161029_180339.jpg

From the plunge, in to the pop bumpers and kick out from the scoop I sent the ball straight back to the scoop and sure enough time to try and rule the universe (first time ever!!!) :eek: only a 5 billion point target to achieve ! Well I'm game for that given the how well the game was going... So the multiball starts, I hit a few jackpots then this happened whilst still in multiball with the ball save still on...

IMG_20161029_180419.jpg

The machine went dead and the display stuck in a continual reboot cycle NOOOOOOO, ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH :( :( :(

Blooming pinball machines... Don't ya just love em... :rolleyes:

After reseating cables it's working fine again.

The final score was still in memory as I had switched the machine off, the final total after 2 and a bit balls was:
IMG_20161030_151025.jpg

I love stories like this, keep 'em coming guys!

Cheers

Vin

When @I TiltAlot had his AFM I was on ball 3, no more extra balls left. Rule the Universe sitting there ready to go, aiming for nothing but the scoop, and what happens when you start doing this?

You drain don't you, closest I ever came to kicking a machine in anger.

Ha, funny story. Could have been worse though Peter. Imagine beating your previous GC score before the reset, and then the only record of it would be in that previous game score...

Good to see a late 90's DMD classic still finding love. I still think it's great even after 21yrs (and i'm not trying to talk up my own game here, i genuinely mean it).

Do you set the SWL games up for 4ball & no extra balls, or do you enable Tournament mode in the settings which does some of that for you? I need to move further South West.

The credit dot would still be bothering me though :)

Last edited:
no need. time goes by. its weird playing games I saw brand new and are now 40 years old nevermind 25

All looks a bit fishy to me... I think someone is using smoke and mirrors to set a new high score because others are snapping at their heels ;)

Ha, funny story. Could have been worse though Peter. Imagine beating your previous GC score before the reset, and then the only record of it would be in that previous game score...

Very true... :eek: The 17B listed above is not in the high score charts because of the crash. :rolleyes:

Good to see a late 90's DMD classic still finding love. I still think it's great even after 21yrs (and i'm not trying to talk up my own game here, i genuinely mean it).

I don't really play it that often - Tron, Metallica, Avengers, TOM and Space Hawks all get much more play..! This was a case of I better check that my fix works ok...:cool:

Do you set the SWL games up for 4ball & no extra balls, or do you enable Tournament mode in the settings which does some of that for you? I need to move further South West.

The credit dot would still be bothering me though :)

Yes all modern games at SWL are in 4 ball, tournament mode with extra balls switched off. The classic games are on 5 balls with extra balls switched off. I have to remind visitors that the games are set to hard as the regulars would be playing them all night long otherwise.

The credit dot is a bit of a red herring as it complains about a switch that is working so I leave it be. There are a few like that in WPC95 games.

All looks a bit fishy to me... I think someone is using smoke and mirrors to set a new high score because others are snapping at their heels ;)

Ha, very true... TOM keeps telling me that I have the magic! :p Except no high score was recorded... :tut:

Back
Top Bottom