What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arcade Emulation etc - Hyperspin hard drives?

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Afternoon all,
I've been into emulation for years and have loads of experience using MAME and other emus (MAME with HLSL configured on a big screen using my Madcatz Tournament sticks is awesome) however I've been considering buring a fully loaded HyperSpin/Launchbox external HDD to plug in to my PC (apprently sellers of these hard drives provide straight forward instructions to configure for your system - hopefully it's not a ball ache like I heard it was years back)

Has anyone had experience in buying one of these HDDs? Hyperspin appeals to me and I'd imagine I'd still be able to configure screen filters and such for each emulator.
My pc is fairly beefy and runs Tekknoparrot really well (although that's more of a front end rather than an EMU).
If anyone could recommend a decent place to acquire one of these HDD, feel fee to give me a heads up (some places I've seen seem to be charging a hell of a lot and so would welcome advice on how much I should be paying - depending on HDD size/content etc)

Many thanks

Hi Paul, I think maybe it shows as u.s when I'm logged in at work, as maybe they use a U.S ip address with their VPN or something (shows u.k at home)

Your message said p.s; was there another message I missed re; hyperspin?

Many thanks
More than likely mate :) no - no other message - just saw your hidden message and thought i would reply :)

have you looked at launchbox? bloody great front end and easy to set up.

If you go on PB theres HUGE collections with just about everygame on every system (including arcade) with the front end already set up etc

Not quite sure what the pre-packaged HDDs achieve over simply sourcing the ROMs yourself?
What exactly are you aiming for?

I've not used Hyperspin for a very long time - I use GameEX on both my MAME cabs as a front end.

Setting up a front end with video previews and all the emu setups for dozens of systems with thousands of games takes........ bloody ages.

A pre configured image saves all the time and effort.

Setting up a front end with video previews and all the emu setups for dozens of systems with thousands of games takes........ bloody ages.

A pre configured image saves all the time and effort.

I used to have the full MAME sets on my cab and I never really used it as there was just too much choice, no-one actually wants to choose from 10,000 games!
So I then spent the time to curate it down to the ~100 or so games which I actually like and now it's actually far more fun to use.

I'd argue that a RetroPi in a mini snes or megadrive case with a couple of Snes/MD bluetooth controllers is the easiest and most hassle free front end setup - it'll scrape the media for you assuming you've got things named properly
I have one of these setup for my Retro console emulation (NES,Snes,MegaDrive,MasterSystem), and I have GameEX on a Mame joystick cab and a Mame/TP dedicated driver (and PinballX which is from the same developer on my VPin)

Setting up GameEx is also pretty straightforward and wizard driven, getting it working is easy but yep getting it pretty with all the artwork can take time although it's mostly a naming everything correct and having the folders all in the right places.

Can't help you with HyperSpin, but if you want any help on either RetroPi/GameEx I'm very happy to help with any config questions.

Not quite sure what the pre-packaged HDDs achieve over simply sourcing the ROMs yourself?
What exactly are you aiming for?

I've not used Hyperspin for a very long time - I use GameEX on both my MAME cabs as a front end.
I have a complete set of MAME roms (not a very recent release but good enough for me) and I used to use Game Ex (paid for the full unlocked ver. I think I while back, as I was also using Pinball X for Visual pinball/FX, however when I installed it on my new pc last year it wasn't picking up my roms (likely because I need teh correct .bat file or something?- need to investigate)
I just like the look of Hyperspin with the wheels and such and thought it's also be handy to be able to easily check out some systems I don't have set up.
As other posters have said, I really don't need 10,000 games - it's just nice to have them there to check out some random stuff I haven't played before.
Looked at the retro pi route and have considered getting one, but my pc is hooked up to my living room tv screen already and I love using my arcade sticks, so not sure how much I'd benefit from a retro pie (I also like playing stuff like Outrun 2 Special tours with Teknoparrot too, which the pi can't do)

Most of the time in Mame I just play Final Fight and Metal Slug for a bit and maybe a few shooter'em'ups (not Shumps! - in the 80s in teh u.k we call them shoot'em'ups!:). Another fav is a game I can't remember the name of; it's TATE oriented and is kind of like Space invaders, but you can get a bowling ball power up and stuff which you throw to mow down enemies - great graphics and really fun (likely made by Taito)

I've spent quite a lot of time with Coinops builds ( but not recently ). They do some great vertical builds too. Almost no setup to do, just works.

I used coinops on the xbox for ages (still have 2 og xboxes with coinops on then lying around) - really good. Haven't tried the pc version, so may pook in to it, cheers.

I have a complete set of MAME roms (not a very recent release but good enough for me) and I used to use Game Ex (paid for the full unlocked ver. I think I while back, as I was also using Pinball X for Visual pinball/FX, however when I installed it on my new pc last year it wasn't picking up my roms (likely because I need teh correct .bat file or something?- need to investigate)
I just like the look of Hyperspin with the wheels and such and thought it's also be handy to be able to easily check out some systems I don't have set up.
As other posters have said, I really don't need 10,000 games - it's just nice to have them there to check out some random stuff I haven't played before.
Looked at the retro pi route and have considered getting one, but my pc is hooked up to my living room tv screen already and I love using my arcade sticks, so not sure how much I'd benefit from a retro pie (I also like playing stuff like Outrun 2 Special tours with Teknoparrot too, which the pi can't do)

Most of the time in Mame I just play Final Fight and Metal Slug for a bit and maybe a few shooter'em'ups (not Shumps! - in the 80s in teh u.k we call them shoot'em'ups!:). Another fav is a game I can't remember the name of; it's TATE oriented and is kind of like Space invaders, but you can get a bowling ball power up and stuff which you throw to mow down enemies - great graphics and really fun (likely made by Taito)

There are a couple of versions of GameEx now, there is the original and the arcade one which looks much more like hyperspin but it needs a newish version of MAME (and that means you might have to get a newer set of roms to match)
It's what I have on my mame cab
On the driver I've got a slimmed down normal GameEX as I run drivermame on it and thats based of an old mame release, but to be honest I might as well call it my Outrun2 SP Cab as that's pretty much all I play on it.
I'll post some pics of that UI running on my cab, as that one I do know pretty well in terms of config.

Similar taste in games my top played (by me and guests)
Metal Slug
Final Fight
Galaga
Tetris
Outrun 2 SP
Sega Rally 3

Also get a lot of plays on Point Blank and HOTD / TimeCrisis with the lightgun

RetroPi is great as a all in-on-console machine for me, but then I have the cabs for the arcade games

There are a couple of versions of GameEx now, there is the original and the arcade one which looks much more like hyperspin but it needs a newish version of MAME (and that means you might have to get a newer set of roms to match)
It's what I have on my mame cab
On the driver I've got a slimmed down normal GameEX as I run drivermame on it and thats based of an old mame release, but to be honest I might as well call it my Outrun2 SP Cab as that's pretty much all I play on it.
I'll post some pics of that UI running on my cab, as that one I do know pretty well in terms of config.

Similar taste in games my top played (by me and guests)
Metal Slug
Final Fight
Galaga
Tetris
Outrun 2 SP
Sega Rally 3

Also get a lot of plays on Point Blank and HOTD / TimeCrisis with the lightgun

RetroPi is great as a all in-on-console machine for me, but then I have the cabs for the arcade games
Ah nice; which light gun are you using? I bought a pc compatable dolphin wii sensor bar with the intention of uaing wii-motes as light guns but haven't tried yet. Love the point blank games and so would be great to be able to play those with a light gun.
Also have my eye on the sinden gun, but seems a bit pricey at the mo', as still a pretty new product.

Ah nice; which light gun are you using? I bought a pc compatable dolphin wii sensor bar with the intention of uaing wii-motes as light guns but haven't tried yet. Love the point blank games and so would be great to be able to play those with a light gun.
Also have my eye on the sinden gun, but seems a bit pricey at the mo', as still a pretty new product.
Using the non-feedback Aimtrack.
I mounted the sensor to the top of the monitor in my cab and then made a bezel with a space left in the paint for the sensor and it works pretty well - no crosshairs here :D

Hi guys, sorry to join the thread but it looks like someone here would know the answer

I bought an arcade machine, custom made with a retro pie 4 ? inside. All set up by the seller but the support is a bit slow / non exinsistant and i’d like to just get a few things sorted.
I believe light guns can be added and there was talk of a newer software version from them. Plus addition of more dreamcast and later era console games. Would perhaps someone on here be in a position to help me set it all up / upgrade my machine. The guns mentioned i think we’re sinden and the system used was direct and did not have a sensor mounted somewhere on the machine
if you need more information let me know where to find it
Thanks again if you can help it point me somewhere that can
Regards

I see these advertised on the arcade punks site but couldn't say if they are any good.

Using the non-feedback Aimtrack.
I mounted the sensor to the top of the monitor in my cab and then made a bezel with a space left in the paint for the sensor and it works pretty well - no crosshairs here :D
I’ve just bought 2 sinden light guns with the feedback for my launchbox setup but not got round to trying them yet.
I’m a big fan of the point blank franchise but There’s some cracking newer stuff on Tecnoparrot now like HOTD 4/5 Jurassic park, aliens ect.
For simple Android setups for the shield/Pi Arcade Punks is the place go.
Failing that Launchbox all the way

I had a quick look at arcade punks but i’m not literate with this type of thing. Is there a member who does programming or set up in here perhaps ?

It is like buying vpin loaded hard drives. They need some messing around.

I would just be buying a fully loaded RPi to be honest.

Thing is I only want old games. Those 60in1 jamma cards have most the stuff on I want :)

Will be interested how you get on if you buy a HD

Buy one, copy them and sell them on :)

Hi all I've had my sinden light gun for a year now and in the last couple of days I've been trying to set it up on a PC I've got running hyperspin frontend,I've watched a few YouTube videos and read the wiki sinden page on this matter but still struggling to get it to run through mame,has anyone got any advice or recommend a video walk through as the few I've watched seem to contradict each other.
Cheers Brian

It is like buying vpin loaded hard drives. They need some messing around.

I would just be buying a fully loaded RPi to be honest.

Thing is I only want old games. Those 60in1 jamma cards have most the stuff on I want :)

Will be interested how you get on if you buy a HD

Buy one, copy them and sell them on :)

Yeah you would be right for Vpin stuff, a lot changes all the time anyway so you will never get a be all and end all.

People dump full tables in big packs now into Archive.org so you can just download the latest lot there anyway which are sourced from all those VP sites.

I've seen all my games in those packs, even games I thought a single person had but it goes around on facebook and leeched around so I keep hold of them now plus mega rare that the leech will never have to sell.

I might try HyperPie because I have spare RPi4.

Haven't done emu stuff for a while, I have box full of all parts and extras like spinner for arkanoid ready to go, even wrote app for a touchscreen to control HyperSpin / RocketLauncher in the panel so the main system would be windows so can run better games like newer versions of Mortal Kombat and other PC games.

Back
Top Bottom