What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody else frustrated re Ebay?

Replay

Site Supporter
I went to see a pin today that is on ebay now. I have also phoned a number of people recently who have listed on ebay. Every single one quotes the prices of the fully restored pins but their pins are not in this category.

Latest is this Addams -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Addams-Family-Pinball-Machine-/140601543110?clk_rvr_id=261834890924#ht_531wt_1141

One small photo and the expectation it is worth nearer £3k than £2k. Ebay is the place to sell maybe, but getting really hard to find good pins that have a fair value.

The obvious thing is to not bid, which I don't but I find it frustrating that pins are described as 'mint' etc when they are obviously not a lot of the time.

I do not mind paying for a nice pin, if it really is what is described. Guess, the answer is to go and look in person but I have lost out on a lot of pins as by the time I arrange a visit, someone else has bought it!!

That’s a tough one especially if the machine is miles away (usually the case 99% of the time for me being located in N Wales), this makes viewing impractical and cheaper for a courier to deliver than to collect in person, even viewing can be a complete waste of time and resources if the seller is economical with the truth.

Once hired a van and drove 250 miles to collect an IJ won on ebay, it turned out to be a complete dog, stock pics in listing, (never trust a seller who uses stock pics unless they are known to be a reputable supplier), seller went under the user name “pinball-treasuresâ€, which added an element of reassurance, (no longer trading) item described as "in collector condition", (it was straight out of a bar in France), I walked away (it was too rough to even make an offer on it) but was still about £80 and a whole day out of pocket after the experience (not the only one who has been there done that I’m sure :mad:)

I think the supply is drying up and peoples expectations with regards to value is increasing year on year, the MM on ebay only confirms this and the fore mentioned TAF at £2000 "reserve not met" is another.

From experience, relying on the crap description which accompanies the ebay listing most of the time is a potential disaster unless additional info is supplied from the seller and more importantly that the seller is honest, (they can tell you it’s mint with no playfield wear as much as they like but if they are dishonest or don't see things the same way as you do then you will still be in for a kick in the wedding tackle when the delivery truck arrives or when you go to collect)

Close up high res pics are essential if you can’t view (good feedback should not be relied upon on ebay as often the seller is clueless regarding the item and has no idea of the expectations of a collector/enthusiast)

I think the forum will prove to be invaluable as a location to buy, sell and trade machines as the contributors will generally be on the same wavelength.

Although being out of the way, like North Wales can very occasionally be a bonus, got my KISS in Pembroke from ebay, only bidder at £300 and machine was in good nick (although that was just luck as there were NO pictures at all)

clonestar' date=' post: 1677654 said:
Although being out of the way, like North Wales can very occasionally be a bonus, )

Certainly was during the recent riots
rolleyes-1.gif

The whole ebay thing really grinds my gears too fella. I could tell you of quite a few missed out buys, long, expensive journeys for nothing as well as meeting (in person) quite a few nasty pieces of work desperately trying to sell me a *****r for mega money.

On the other hand. I have also met a lot of good pin folk who are honest to the letter, but even out of those that are decent, only a handful truly know how to FULLY maintain/repair a pinball machine. With that in mind EVERY single machine i have bought or traded has had to be fixed up in some way. Thats just the way it is.

If anyone in good ol' Blighty has half the chance of making a few quid on a pinball, you can bet they are going to do it. That includes asking daft money for well abused examples.

Your best bet is to find like minded folk (here) to trade, or buy from. At least then you can be sure of getting a well treated game at a decent price.

Face it Chap's. You are never going to get a bargin off ebay
sad-1.png
(unless you are very quick or very lucky)

Back
Top Bottom