What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any vintage Hi-Fi peeps on here?

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey gang
I have a 1980 B&O setup. As follows:
Beomaster 2400 tuner amp, fully rebuilt with new caps (over 70 new caps replaced) all new bulbs, new power switch. Includes the rare remote control which also has a new battery. Fully working.

Beogram 2402. Again, fully serviced, new belt, all bulbs replaced. Comes with refurbished 12 months ago) MMC20EN cartridge with elliptical diamond needle. Small piece of veneer missing.
I’ve had the needle replaced twice in my ownership at £150 a pop.

Beocord 2400 tape player. Fully working. Still gets a tape played through it every now and then to keep it moving.

2x pairs of Beovox S50 speakers. One pair has been refoamed and sound awesome. The other pair needs refoaming and is in cherry veneer as opposed to teak like the rest of the system.

It’s all housed in a B&O teakwood cabinet.
It’s been in daily use for about 4 years. I got it off a guy whose grandfather bought it new in 1980. I am the third owner. All of the refurbishment work was done by his grandson before I bought it but I have spoken with the engineer who carried out the work and has verified all the work he did.
It sounds fantastic.

Anyway, I’m thinking of selling as I want to get a pair of technic 1210’s.
So my question is. What’s it worth? I think the golden goose is the cabinet which I can’t find an accurate historical sale price for. There’s a place in the states selling them for $2500!!! Not sure if that’s pie in the sky.
So any vintage audiophiles out there have any advice re value and selling.
Cheers guys
A8359FF7-555E-4D3F-B995-F262C4AD1B9A.jpeg8DE5DD0C-75BA-48C8-9EB0-C8A4471FEB46.jpegBFAF6612-6C76-4F90-AC4B-63D06F1CE570.pngD48E8F12-6FB9-407F-983F-0F7C59B49B4A.png

Nice set up!

It does look nice but I was going to say nobody wants cassettes now (I used to throw the cassette decks away!) but they are making a comeback.

Stylus retips now are the thing for about £100-180 a go by audio origin. Did you keep the old ones?

Actually looking for a B&O turntable myself at the moment.

I would look at ebay completed listings and see what the stuff has been going for. Or you can contact the B&O used dealers in the UK.

i get a fair bit fom house clearence guys that call me to take the scrap away.
plenty of portable stereos,hi fi systems,seperates, amps etc..
found a nice amp in the scrapyard a couple of years ago.

Tapes have made a huge come back over the last couple of years. I was sceptical but got my arm twisted into venturing into the loft to dig them out. Most are still worth less than vinyl but old demo tapes of obscure 90s bands are currently a gold mine.

Tapes have made a huge come back over the last couple of years. I was sceptical but got my arm twisted into venturing into the loft to dig them out. Most are still worth less than vinyl but old demo tapes of obscure 90s bands are currently a gold mine.
Not for any of my old bands..... :)

I have been paid to keep them in a sealed box and buried in the garden.

Stylus retips now are the thing for about £100-180 a go by audio origin. Did you keep the old ones?
No mate, you send your entire cartridge and they send you back a refurbed one. Not even the one you sent them unless you stipulate otherwise. It’s a slow old service too.
Good man :thumbs: Can't go wrong with a good set of decks, what mixer are you looking at? :D No idea re: value on your B&O stuff mate, looks cool though!
I can’t lie Chris, seeing your shed has influenced this decision 🤣. No idea on mixer. A mate of mine is a superstar DJ so I’ll tap him up for advice. He’s a funky house DJ/producer as it goes. Up your alley!!

No mate, you send your entire cartridge and they send you back a refurbed one. Not even the one you sent them unless you stipulate otherwise. It’s a slow old service too.

I can’t lie Chris, seeing your shed has influenced this decision 🤣. No idea on mixer. A mate of mine is a superstar DJ so I’ll tap him up for advice. He’s a funky house DJ/producer as it goes. Up your alley!!

Your mate will know way more than me but I don't think you can go wrong with pioneer mixers. I've got a DJM250 which is very basic but does everything I need. I've always gone for Sennheiser headphones too.

Any tracks that I should be picking up that your mate has produced?

Your mate will know way more than me but I don't think you can go wrong with pioneer mixers. I've got a DJM250 which is very basic but does everything I need. I've always gone for Sennheiser headphones too.

Any tracks that I should be picking up that your mate has produced?
Cool thanks for the advice mate. I actually can’t stand funky house 🤣 I wouldn’t have a clue what he’s done.
He used to be one half of the beatthiefs. Think he goes under the name of Fletch now. I’ll ask him what he’s done and let you know mate.

Don't know what budget you need for a pair of Technics 1210's. Last year I switched from a Rega deck to a Technics SL1210GR plus Ortofon Bronze stylus at c £1600 all in. The B&O kit is still stylish and I've had a lovely B&O rosewood system from the 1980's stored away for years as my wife didn't want to part with it and, good though it is, I doubt it would even run to the cost of my 1210 bare deck. There's a Beomaster 2400 tuner/amp (re-capped) on ebay for £255 and there is plenty of other B&O kit to get a rough reference price.

Don't know what budget you need for a pair of Technics 1210's. Last year I switched from a Rega deck to a Technics SL1210GR plus Ortofon Bronze stylus at c £1600 all in. The B&O kit is still stylish and I've had a lovely B&O rosewood system from the 1980's stored away for years as my wife didn't want to part with it and, good though it is, I doubt it would even run to the cost of my 1210 bare deck. There's a Beomaster 2400 tuner/amp (re-capped) on ebay for £255 and there is plenty of other B&O kit to get a rough reference price.
Yeah I don’t put a huge price tag on the B&O. Just more curious on the cabinet to be fair. I bought a pair of Mk 4’s last year for £1100 including ortofon stylus’s. I’d be happy with Mk 2’s or even 1200’s in silver. I’d just use the cash from the B&O to go towards it.

Yeah I don’t put a huge price tag on the B&O. Just more curious on the cabinet to be fair. I bought a pair of Mk 4’s last year for £1100 including ortofon stylus’s. I’d be happy with Mk 2’s or even 1200’s in silver. I’d just use the cash from the B&O to go towards it.

1210 Mk2's are the best decks for mixing vinyl imho (although I've never had a go on the current pioneer decks which are supposed to be better than technic's). I used to have a pair many years ago and regret selling them. If it's good enough for the Ministry of Sounds main room then it's good enough for my bedroom 😃 what sort of stuff will you be mixing then mate?

I am 100% stuck in the late 90’s early 00’s Trance bubble mate. Binary Finary, Nalin and Kane, Energy 52, Ayla, etc.....
I just haven’t moved on 🤣

I am 100% stuck in the late 90’s early 00’s Trance bubble mate. Binary Finary, Nalin and Kane, Energy 52, Ayla, etc.....
I just haven’t moved on 🤣

Have a look on my SoundCloud, pinball cabin mix no8. Bit different to my usual stuff but probably more your thing 👍

Back
Top Bottom