What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any risks when testing a dead/faulty DMD in a working game ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Just to put my mind at rest.

So if I have a dead/faulty/???? DMD ..... and test it in a fully working game .... is there any risk ? I always thought it's fine but now for no real reason I'm doubting myself - and doubts are always worth double checking :)

I had a dead dmd and put it in to wh20 to see if it worked, it didn’t and wh20 was still fine after wards

I was more weary of putting a known good dmd in to the machine in case the driver board was gonna fry it

I had a dead dmd and put it in to wh20 to see if it worked, it didn’t and wh20 was still fine after wards

I was more weary of putting a known good dmd in to the machine in case the driver board was gonna fry it

Yeah - that's the way I have always thought of it Gaz.

Not sure why I am suddenly doubting, but be good to have definitive expert opinion :) @pinballmania maybe ?

I've tested DMDs which have fried the DMD driver board, I would proceed with caution

For e.g. there could be dead shorts that take out a 5v line or worse still one of the 100v plus lines

What Poibug said...! :thumbs:

There's always a risk. You can help mitigate some of it with the following:
  • by knowing the history - did it come from a working machine that is still working less duff display?
  • by inspecting the DMD/driver board for damage, blown components, shorts, etc
  • knowing the machines, certain manufacturers have more protection against certain damage which others don't and so those that don't are more riskier when testing their displays..!
  • history, how did it die? did it slowly fade or did it lock on, etc?

What Poibug said...! :thumbs:

There's always a risk. You can help mitigate some of it with the following:
  • by knowing the history - did it come from a working machine that is still working less duff display?
  • by inspecting the DMD/driver board for damage, blown components, shorts, etc
  • knowing the machines, certain manufacturers have more protection against certain damage which others don't and so those that don't are more riskier when testing their displays..!
  • history, how did it die? did it slowly fade or did it lock on, etc?
Cheers. May not need to in this case but just thinking about it in general.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom