What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any recommendations for WPC95 replacement CPU?

Matt Vince

Site Supporter
I bought a rottendog for my AFM a few years ago and it has never been very reliable. Now I need a couple more replaced and could use advice on a better alternative.

Thanks

There's this DumbAss guy on pinside who does repro PCBs - I don't have any experience with them but guess it's another option?

I think the OP is considering more than 1 but getting OEM is still a reasonable idea.

I can second the pinled stuff if Phill is still doing it. Looks to be well engineered but I have only used the WPC display board replacement

pinled boards are smd parts so factor in the life expectancy of 3-5 years tops before you need a repair/new one ...

rottendog design theory and layout is good, but the assembly process and chip sourcing isn't and i don't think they are being made anymore anyway...

These look like they could be ok to, and there's the option to repair with plate through later. https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-wpc89-mpu.html , but i haven't used one to find out what they are like out of the box. (wpc-89 only though it seems)

Every man and his dog has had a go at making a wpc board replacement in the past. Most of them aren't any good and its a race to the bottom on price hence why many of them are rubbish quality.

, frikin battery holder on it , Jesus Christ.,,
with a pair of terminals for remote battery connection....

1663745265315.png

But yes... alas SMD all over... at least it's not connected to the bottom of the PF...... :D

On the plus side it does have a socket for NVram... so best of both worlds i guess..

with a pair of terminals for remote battery connection....

View attachment 181543

But yes... alas SMD all over... at least it's not connected to the bottom of the PF...... :D

On the plus side it does have a socket for NVram... so best of both worlds i guess..
Yeah my point was why even add a crappy cell battery holder on the board these days. Just asks for trouble and is pointless.. I love the fact it’s add your own asic, processor,rom,ram,pic aswell on them all now to. Lazy ****ing bastards…

I do wonder how many issues with these new boards are caused by putting in chinese fake ****ing 6809's or ****ty rom, rams... When you sell barebones boards you just ask for issues, as the owner can put in any old ****..

Anyway that's just my 2p, back to sorting out ****ty smd stern node boards... :)

Back
Top Bottom