What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any point in surge protectors?

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
I see that thunderstorms are forecast for the next few days, which got me thinking about surge protectors. I have one for my internet router given that I have lost two to surges during thunderstorms in the past, but is there any need to have surge protectors to protect pinball machines?

In other words, could they get fried during a thunderstorm if they are on during the storm? And what about if they are plugged in but turned off?

Don't pinball machines have surge protectors built into them anyway ? Depending on how old they are

If they are plugged in they could still receive a surge.

We had a lightening strike last April. We had no surge protectors and I lost my sky box, router, PS3 and TV.

My neighbours had surge protectors and they suffered the same fate. In fact there's went pop a lot louder and more dramatic than mine.

So not sure it makes any odds

I don't think so. We don't have anything plugged into the aerial. Plus the router was on a different socket. I think the exchange got hit and it surged a load of houses

I think surge protectors are just to smooth the supply out (stop it spiking) a massive surge from lightning will just fry everything. I could be wrong though, Jaki says I usually am!

We had a lightening strike last April. We had no surge protectors and I lost my sky box, router, PS3 and TV.

My neighbours had surge protectors and they suffered the same fate. In fact there's went pop a lot louder and more dramatic than mine.

So not sure it makes any odds

Eek. You must have angered the gods, Gaz. But how were your pins?

Surge protectors do work, however they do have a limited life if they are subjected to small surges over time - they just shunt the overvoltage into a MOV which can only take so much.
Some of them have an indicator showing if the surge protection is still working

However I'm no electrician and I may be corrected here!

Back
Top Bottom